PDA

View Full Version : RipIt + Handbrake

Alec Fraser
2nd June 2009, 09:31 PM
Anyone using RipIt with Handbrake? I'm going through the arduous task of converting all my DVD's to MP4's playable on the PS3 and in OS X, and I'm running into hassles with Mac the Ripper not being able to read discs.

Before anyone starts in on me for being a pirate, these are all DVD's I've purchased myself. I do actually believe in buying the show on DVD and giving them my hard earned if I love the show.

leon
2nd June 2009, 09:33 PM
Testing out RipIt this evening.
I also have MTR 3.0r14m in my arsenal as well.

What disc are you having trouble with?
What version of MTR do you have?

Perana
2nd June 2009, 09:40 PM
Current Version of Handbrake had no issues ripping my discs to MP4's.

Shouldn't need RipIT at all handbrake has the decrypting stuff built in as far as i know.

cowzy
2nd June 2009, 10:11 PM
Shouldn't need RipIT at all handbrake has the decrypting stuff built in as far as i know.

This is true.
However, if you don't want your DVDs spinning in the drive for the entire encoding process, ripping it to your HD first is a good option.
That's how I roll ;)

Alec Fraser
2nd June 2009, 10:21 PM
Current Version of Handbrake had no issues ripping my discs to MP4's.

As Cowzy said, that's fine if you want to rip from the disc...I don't :P

I do a season at a time, so I rip all the discs to the drive, que them up and let them run over night.

Leon, I'm running the last freely available version of MTR. I had a look at getting the current version but I'm not really crazy about jumping through all the hoops to get it. I'd rather just pay upfront to get something to replace it.

I've had problems with some Region 1 discs I've ordered from overseas, when I switched the region code on my drive, they worked but then some region 4 discs didn't. Before that, I've had some bad sector issues with random discs. Some whole box sets, and some individual discs...

leon
2nd June 2009, 10:24 PM
Leon, I'm running the last freely available version of MTR. I had a look at getting the current version but I'm not really crazy about jumping through all the hoops to get it. I'd rather just pay upfront to get something to replace it.

That's the problem right there. You are probably using MTR2.6.6 which was outdated about 3 years ago. It is worth jumping through hoops to get MTR3.0r14m in my opinion if you are serious about backing up your collection.

It isn't really that hard or that much trouble.

So far in all my testing, RipIt hasn't had any problems. I don't have any really new DVDs to test it on though.

Alec Fraser
2nd June 2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah I know...I just don't dig the way they're doing it.

Perana
2nd June 2009, 10:32 PM
Ah yes that is a fair point,

I'm not too worried about that, DVD's takes on average about 30mins to rip to H.264 with on my machine :)

Alec Fraser
2nd June 2009, 11:40 PM
Ah yes that is a fair point,

I'm not too worried about that, DVD's takes on average about 30mins to rip to H.264 with on my machine :)

They probably take the same on mine, but I can set the que and forget about it. I don't need to load DVDs every half hour. Once it's gone thru a stack, I delete the vobs to make space, rip some more and que them up...all while it's churning away on what's still in the que. I've had a continuous que going for a week now :P 5 seasons of Angel in the missus' box set with 22 eps each can take a while ;)