PDA

View Full Version : Play .mkv on PS3???

Houdini
1st June 2009, 07:34 PM
Hello,

I know taht there is PC program mkv2vob to convert .mkv files so that PS3 can read them, i just cant believe that there is not such a program for mac... Shouldn't mac users be all about audio/video?

Anyway if anyone has a simple solution to this post here...

NeoRicen
1st June 2009, 07:35 PM
HandBrake should do it. VisualHub was the go-to program for this sort of thing, but it was discontinued. Handbrake is the next best thing, the main downside being inferior presets (IMO).

tcn33
1st June 2009, 07:41 PM
If you find a Mac equivalent that converts them in the same sort of time, post it here. Every Mac-based solution I can find takes ages, whereas mkv2vob does it in seconds.

Phunky
1st June 2009, 08:15 PM
How about if the ps3 media server transcodes on the fly
Tversity does this, maybe ps3 media server for mac can as well

Houdini
2nd June 2009, 09:26 PM
i reckon that handbrake is the only way, it takes 2h per movie to convert. Also for some reason DTS/5.1 doesnt work on my ps3.....

Anyone done any conversation where 5.1 works?

Also any other methods?

Alec Fraser
2nd June 2009, 09:28 PM
How about if the ps3 media server transcodes on the fly
Tversity does this, maybe ps3 media server for mac can as well

I haven't been able to find one yet that does it, and I've been looking for a while!

303-Acid
2nd June 2009, 10:31 PM
I haven't been able to find one yet that does it, and I've been looking for a while!

PS3 Media Server (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/)
PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
Current features
Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there's an automatic refresh also.
Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
Full seeking support when transcoding
DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
Thumbnail generation for Videos
You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
Basic Xbox360 support
FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support

Some text because quotes aren't counted as text :rolleyes:

Houdini
3rd June 2009, 07:25 AM
... Ps3 media server is great for streaming .jpg's, not for HD content. Im guessing current technology still has far to go to catch up with sending large files over wifi.

ATM im just converting it all to mp4 , but damn handbrake keeps on crashing... I guess they havent fixed anything on their latest revision.... Time to use mighty ol' XP for mkv2vob and leave mac to chill...

303-Acid
4th June 2009, 12:44 AM
... Ps3 media server is great for streaming .jpg's, not for HD content. Im guessing current technology still has far to go to catch up with sending large files over wifi.

ATM im just converting it all to mp4 , but damn handbrake keeps on crashing... I guess they havent fixed anything on their latest revision.... Time to use mighty ol' XP for mkv2vob and leave mac to chill...

Yup...wireless doesn't compare to gigabit ethernet. But you could try playing with the transcoding options.

HumanMedia
7th June 2009, 04:35 PM
Hello,

I know taht there is PC program mkv2vob to convert .mkv files so that PS3 can read them, i just cant believe that there is not such a program for mac... Shouldn't mac users be all about audio/video?

Anyway if anyone has a simple solution to this post here...

Quicktime MoviePlayer Pro with Perian installed works perfectly and quickly for me.

Export settings are to copy video track (not recompress) and recompress audio to AAC.