PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk Clicking

par3182
13th June 2005, 02:20 PM
I just the hard disk in my iBook replaced (due to the original dying). It's only a couple of days old but it frequently makes a clicking sound. Since the only time I ever heard the previous one click was 30 seconds before it died this is making me nervous.

Should I be worried?

Currawong
13th June 2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, you should be. Could be the disk isn't getting enough power from the iBook. The clicking is the heads re-calibrating themselves. If it happens all the time, it destroys the drive pretty quickly.

Mohawk
13th June 2005, 02:36 PM
I wouldnt worry about it, my ibook (60GB) HDD clicks all the time whenever I open a program or do something HDD intensive.
I dont really know what it could be but it would have to be linked to it searching for something, I'm pretty sure that most HDD's dont click but then my pc is really noisy so i couldnt be sure.

either way I think your safe cause mines been clicking for the 4-5 months I've had it and its still running strong

-Ok I take that all back, maybe I should do some research on this and then do a quick backup :(

nez
13th June 2005, 02:53 PM
clicking is bad. very bad. I've 2 hard drives replaced on my wintel notebook and both times, before they died, there was a lot of clicking.

I suggest you do 2 things:

1- immediately backup any valuable data u have.
2- take it to get serviced.
3- avoid using it till it gets fixed.

Kildare
13th June 2005, 03:23 PM
The 60GB drive I had put in my iBook makes a slight two tone double clicking noise from time to time - just assumed it was part of the normal drive operation.

Passes all the test I can throw @ it.

LCGuy
13th June 2005, 03:45 PM
I agree with nez, back up everything on that disk right now. Most of the time when a HD starts clicking it usually means that its on its way out.

Pej
13th June 2005, 05:25 PM
mine clicks when ever i turn my airport on as well as at other random times. has been doing it for months on end.

elvis
13th June 2005, 06:12 PM
Quiet, irregular "grinding" noises during heavy read/write sessions for hard disks are normal.

Louder, regular "clicking" that happens frequently or all the time is not. We fixit types loveling refer to this noise as "the clunk of death". As Currawong correctly stated, this is the noise of either your hard disk heads realigning themselves, or worse, getting out of alignment and bashing into the side of the drive.

Back up your data ASAP, and get the drive tested.

gurgle
14th June 2005, 09:01 PM
when i first got my ibook i noticed it ticked -i wouldnt describe it as clicking- and so i checked out apples support forums and apparently its all good. cant remember zactly what they said the ticking is doing but its something to do with the drives normal operation...

iv had my bto 60g ibook for over a year now, it still ticks and functions the way it did the day i got it.