PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor, Lacie External Hardrives..which One?

speedway boy
13th June 2005, 02:14 PM
Hey all,

need to get an external hard drive pretty quickly. I've always been around Lacie drives at work, but something like Maxtor is cheaper. Any views as to how they would go? Reliability issues. Mac capabilitity issues?

Thanks for your advice

:)

jobe
13th June 2005, 02:30 PM
try:
Portable Hds 100-200gb ?, Reccommendations ? (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9002)
External Hard Drives {merged} (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=5755&hl=external)
External Hard Drives, Need a format for Win and Mac (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=7612&hl=external)

This will deffinately be going in the FAQ I'm preparing. I hope they answer your questions.

All (lacie, maxtor, any other external case + HDD) will basically be compatible with mac as external HDDs. The software that comes with the maxtor one-touch external hdds will not and I'm not sure if there is a mac alternative. The drives will still function as external drives though. IMHO, the software is pretty pointless anyway.

You can also just get an external case and buy a HDD seperately to put in. This sometimes works out cheaper.

If you can, get firewire over USB2.0. For various reasons it it much better and faster desipte being theoretically slower. However, stay away from cheap, yumcha external firewire cases as there have been issues reported with them and tiger (and even panther at different points in time).

speedway boy
13th June 2005, 02:46 PM
thanks Jobe!

saw one of those threads but not the others.
Looking forward to your FAQ on this.

Cheers mate!

:D

MightyAtom
14th June 2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by speedway boy@Jun 13 2005, 02:44 PM
I've always been around Lacie drives at work, but something like Maxtor is cheaper. Any views as to how they would go?
I'd advise you to stay away from the LaCie Porsche range of drives if you're considering one.

I have the 250GB model, it has some serious overheating problems. It's passively cooled and gets pretty hot. Over the summer it got so hot on two seperate occassions the file system became corrupt and I lost two partitions.

Also, the case looks like brushed aluminium but it's really just a faux plastic finish. Bloody noisy drive too.

speedway boy
14th June 2005, 10:31 AM
well, I just bought a maxtor 200gb firewire/usb drive. All seems fine at the moment. Paid $350 with an extra 2yrs warranty thrown in (3years all up) at Dick Smiths.

Haven't had to much time to do some real bargain hunting. But I'm happy. They were cheaper than the Lacie. And I have a Imac g5 which as I understand it, doesn't have the 800 firewire speed port.

So all good hopefully.

:rolleyes:

chuck
14th June 2005, 10:45 AM
I also advise to stay away from LaCie. Out of the 8 we have bought, 6 have failed! I recommend the IceCube case if you are after FW800 and just buy your own HDD. Otherwise a maxtor or other Fw400 case should be fine - just make sure the case has a fan.

edit: Ha! In between the start of my quick reply and posting it you posted! Seems like a good buy.

iMick
14th June 2005, 12:02 PM
Dang - just orderd a Lacie. Need FW800.

At work we have sold 6 Lacie NAS's and of that 4 have failed. I think i see a pattern here.

TAK
14th June 2005, 12:07 PM
Honestly, the cheapest way is to get an external case, plus hard drive. This way you can choose the brand of HD (if you have a preference) and can upgrade very easily.

-TAK

fishboy
14th June 2005, 01:33 PM
I was also surprised when my LaCie 160GB FW400/FW800 drive became worthless overnight. Borrowed a cheap Maxtor to get by and it hasn't had an issue.

Also found the LaCie customer service a little clunky.

equill
21st June 2005, 10:15 AM
I also advise to stay away from LaCie. Out of the 8 we have bought ...

In my only slightly more limited sample of two, a 120GB FW (nearly 4.5y old), and a 160GB FW Extreme (0.5y old), the failure rate has been nix, nowt, nada. I have also six LaCie external optical drives, two FW and four SCSI (one of the latter yet to arrive). Failure rate zilch, although one was bought as non-working, and the non-LaCie mechanism was repaired by me. I use LaCie's Silverlining to format all HDDs but the serial drive of my 512Ke, using versions from 5.8.3 to 6.4.5a, which all offer much more information and control (as well as 'conversion' of bought-in drives from the FAT32/Unix world) than the native Mac application. Failures: twice, in the conversion process. I have something like 50 drives at hand, in service and just waiting. I have no complaint about LaCie's products. I can't deny anyone else's experience, but I suggest that the resulting recommendation is unjustified in a public forum.

macdonald
21st June 2005, 05:50 PM
I have a Maxtor One Touch 250GB with firewire which I use as a scratch disk for iMovie/iDVD and "Backups" and have had no issues with it. Didn't bother loading their "One Touch" software - didn't think it was necessary.

I have a 40GB Toshiba 2.5" HDD, 16MB cache that I was going to put in a PC laptop but have just purchased an firewire external enclosure for $48.00 - possibly a YumCha ;) . I may use it as road warrior storage as it is barely larger than the drive.

I agree with TAK on buying the components yourself and get what you want not what they make you have.

mayamore
21st June 2005, 09:20 PM
I have a 300Gb Maxtor fw and am very happy with it. No problems
at all. Haven't worried about installing the One Touch software
so can't comment on it.