PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade old MBP, wow

Cybix
30th May 2009, 07:09 PM
So I bought my wife a brand new Macbook 2.4, she loves it, it's nice.

I took her old rev A Macbook Pro 1.8Ghz machine. I've been using an old G4 Mac Mini for a while since I sold my 2Ghz Macbook Pro last year, waiting for the right machine to buy.. (will probably end up getting an iMac now).. anyway

The Macbook Pro:

1.8Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 80B hard disk.

The upgrades:

Seagate Mentus 7200 rpm 320GB hdd
2x 1GB Kingston RAM

The result, well, firstly the extra storage is nice, 80GB just doesn't cut it. The most impressive thing however is the speed improvement, it's just MUCH faster than it used to be.. the difference of 5400rpm to 7200rpm is really quite great.

That is all.

Oh, on another note, I'm toying with an external 1TB RAID0 array connected via Expresscard eSata adapter. It's FREAKING FAST. double the xbench score of the new internal seagate mentus. Hope to be using this setup as a scratch disk for my video editing.. here's a pic of my bodgy test setup:

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v4583/69/60/752769761/n752769761_2715358_3586193.jpg

iCarllovesapple
30th May 2009, 07:29 PM
Well done on buying her the new Macbook! You're a nice husband! hehe :)
The Macbook Pro you've now got is awesome, and I completely understand what you mean by the faster HD speed. It makes a big difference. I saw this when upgrading my dads Macbook HD. It was a 2.2Ghz processor (Which wasn't slow), but then we upgraded the HD and now that beauty is flying!!!! :)
As per your dodgy setup, you don't know what dodgy is until you come to my house! hehe... I have HD's flying out of me, as I had a HD crash and am trying to track the closest backup to the crash date. Hard work..
Enjoy your MBP - I'd keep her even when you do buy your next Mac! :)

Jimbo
30th May 2009, 09:38 PM
processing hd vision would be quite taxing on the 1.8ghz processor though.

Sounds very good though mate!

edit: typos.

Cybix
30th May 2009, 10:06 PM
processing hd vision would be quite taxing on the 1.8ghz processor though.

Sounds very good though mate!

edit: typos.

Your dead right! It handles editing okay, but encoding / exporting video is a lengthy process.

I'll likely be running up a new 3Ghz iMac very soon. Just need to make more space on my desk. heh