PDA

View Full Version : networking

Quamen
17th June 2004, 04:52 PM
ok so apparently all I have to do is go to network options and click the windows file sharing tab and then I can access my mac's shared folders through 192.168.x.x\name

But for some reason when I do this, windows pops up a nice little give me a username and password button. And I'm like wtf?!

So how do I do it? How do I get to check out my lappy via my windows machine? I have no problems dropping things into my shared folder on my pc from the mac. But I can't go the other way for some reason.

elvis
11th July 2004, 07:49 PM
You need to use the username and password of the default user on your Mac. When you enable Windows file sharing it is done so per user on the Mac, so that each user has separate and private acces to their files.

This is the same username and password you use to log on to your mac, as well as to authenticate when installing any software.

russgra
1st August 2004, 11:08 PM
Hope this helps:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54704

zen
24th August 2004, 11:25 PM
Theres two ways of doing this,

1. enable windows file sharing (which sometimes requires a lot of stuffing around with)
2x enable FTP and just connect like any other FTP server on the PC.

Both requires your default mac user/pass to enable it to work. Although I find that the FTP way of sharing is ultimatly the quickest to setup, and idiot proof :P although It might not be the best solution for the long run.