PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS 10 on white macbook

markjbh
30th May 2009, 01:06 PM
I just got a alu macbook can i use the dvd's that come with mine to restore my fiancees white macbook it is a core 2 duo one as well about 15 months old want to put ilife 09 on it

does mac os ask for serials etc during install i am new to all this mac stuff only 2nd day

thank you

timmytomtam
30th May 2009, 01:12 PM
OSX doesnt use serials, but your restore discs wont be compatible.

If you want iLife '09 on the older MacBook, then you'll have to purcase it.

markjbh
30th May 2009, 01:25 PM
even the applications ones?

timmytomtam
30th May 2009, 01:35 PM
even the applications ones?

You can download the iLife '09 trial from the Apple website and then buy online and activate it via a serial, but if you buy a retail copy from a shop, then nope, no serials, just the disc. (This makes it very easy to pirate apple software via torrents -serials dont have to be cracked)

The restore discs that you got with your MacBook are unique to your model, and won't work in an older MacBook.

andrew.wilson
30th May 2009, 01:42 PM
The restore discs that you got with your MacBook are unique to your model, and won't work in an older MacBook.

I beg to differ *cough*

...it's not the right thing to do though so that is up to you...

markjbh
30th May 2009, 01:51 PM
I beg to differ *cough*

so the restore dvd will work......?? strange apple dont use serials or something???

i am still all new to the mac world!!

timmytomtam
30th May 2009, 02:06 PM
I beg to differ *cough*

Oh really?

Sweet..

pmoe
30th May 2009, 02:09 PM
so the restore dvd will work......?? strange apple dont use serials or something???

i am still all new to the mac world!!

In the mac world, most users are prepared to just pay for the software because unlike their main competitor, they price their products competitively.

Just go buy a 5 user copy of iLife. It's not that expensive in the grand scheme of what you just paid for your MacBook.

Apple don't bother with serial numbers mainly because you have to run it on a mac so they've made the bulk of their profits already. And like I said earlier, most in the mac community tend to do the right thing

saphylia
30th May 2009, 04:04 PM
In the mac world, most users are prepared to just pay for the software because unlike their main competitor, they price their products competitively.

With that I have got to agree. While most software has weird names (I'm looking at you HandBrake) it is all very well prices (even the OS) and its weird to think that people would pirate it. It is possible to pirate OSX very easily - but in all honesty is it worth the bother?

Gio
30th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Neither disc 1 or 2 Would install in my jan 2008 macbook which were purchased with a white macbook january 2009.