PDA

View Full Version : Instructions On How To Make A Back-Up Of The HDD Then Restore.

imacattack
30th May 2009, 12:31 AM
I will be doing a HDD upgrade in the next day or two but being new to the iMac I need instructions on how to back-up the HDD then restore after the upgrade I don't want to loose what is on there now.

dotnet
30th May 2009, 12:50 AM
Get SuperDuper (the free version). It is almost foolproof and has always served me well. Simply SuperDuper your current disk to the new one (on USB or FW), swap disks and be done.

Cheers
Steffen.

bullrout
30th May 2009, 09:41 AM
I use Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/index.html).

There are instructions on the website to restore (http://www.bombich.com/software/docs/CCCHelp/CCCHelp.html?page=backup) a drive.

remhh
30th May 2009, 09:47 AM
I upgraded my macbook this week, but the process should be the same for the IMAC, increasing the ram to 4gb and upgraded the hard drive with a new WD 500gb scorpio. I did some research about how to migrate my existing hard drives content and took the following steps:

1) Downloaded the free SuperDuper program. Then used this to copy my hard drive to an external 160gb portable drive (Make sure that the external drive you are using is big enough to accommodate your current drive) via USB2 (you don't need firewire for the method of restore that I used).
2) The copying of the drive took about 2 hours, waited patiently with a few coffees. Note: the SuperDuper program turned my external drive into a bootable drive. Make sure you do check this in the settings in SuperDuper.
3) Replaced the hard drive using the instructions posted on the Apple Support Site.
4) Attached the external drive and turned on the macbook holding down the option key, which brought up my external drive. I selected this drive and my macbook booted with my copied drive. So effectively my mac was running from the external drive.
5) I then used disk utility to format the new internal drive to mac os journalled.
6) A quick visit to the applications folder and started SuperDuper again and used it to copy my external drive over onto the new internal drive. This only took about an hour and makes it bootable.
7) Restarted the macbook and disconnected the external drive.
8) End result - all my settings restored and a brand spanking new 500GB drive.

Richie Rich
30th May 2009, 10:52 AM
I made sure my time machine backup was up to date.

After new hard drive was installed, booted from the Leopard DVD and choose to a full restore from Time Machine to the new hard drive

Worked like magic!!