PDA

View Full Version : Question about upgrading eMac 800 to OS X 10.4 Tiger

mcphero_74
29th May 2009, 11:26 AM
Hello all,

I have an eMac 800 with CD-ROM, and external USB/FW DVD burner, which at the moment isn't working as it should. It reads CDs alright, not DVD movies, because the necessary CODECs aren't installed and I can only partially burn CDs with some success using Roxio Toast. I haven't had the chance to see if the drive can read DVD software. Someone on this forum suggested that I need to upgrade to OS X 10.4 Tiger to get my external burner working properly. Is this correct? If I did, would I be able to install the software from my external DVD drive, or would I need to get the CD-ROM version instead, which is now very hard to find.

I've done some research, and if I remember rightly, Tiger comes on a set of either black or grey discs. What's the difference, and which ones do I need to get? Rather than Ebay, I'd prefer to buy from a proper online store or trustworthy private seller.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BeePee
29th May 2009, 07:45 PM
Grey disks will only work with the computer they came with. Black disks are sold from Ishops and are Retail, will work with any compatible Mac,
however if they have been used seek further advice.

mcphero_74
30th May 2009, 09:53 AM
Thanks for letting me know, BeePee.

Byrd
30th May 2009, 10:58 AM
Someone on this forum suggested that I need to upgrade to OS X 10.4 Tiger to get my external burner working properly.

Tiger supports more optical drives, but if Roxio's Toast doesn't like it now under 10.3, it's not going to be any different if you upgrade to 10.4. The Toast application has its own way of working with any DVD burner, working independantly of the OS. I would say you simply have a faulty drive; incompatibilities are unlikely - most drives conform to a set of standards.

The fact that you can't boot from the external FW DVD drive suggests the drive itself is cactus; upgrading to 10.4 won't change this.

I'd consider taking the drive back, or getting the DVD drive that's installed in the case switched with a different brand (eg. Pioneer).

JB

mcphero_74
31st May 2009, 03:26 PM
Tiger supports more optical drives, but if Roxio's Toast doesn't like it now under 10.3, it's not going to be any different if you upgrade to 10.4. The Toast application has its own way of working with any DVD burner, working independantly of the OS. I would say you simply have a faulty drive; incompatibilities are unlikely - most drives conform to a set of standards.

The fact that you can't boot from the external FW DVD drive suggests the drive itself is cactus; upgrading to 10.4 won't change this.

I'd consider taking the drive back, or getting the DVD drive that's installed in the case switched with a different brand (eg. Pioneer).

JB

That could be worth a try. I didn't mention earlier that the drive was tested at the shop I bought it from with my eMac, and the hardware itself is all working properly.

Byrd
1st June 2009, 08:22 AM
I'd still take it back and try a test burn on one of the Macs in store. If it works fine, it suggests a hardware issue with your eMac - notably a faulty firewire port.

JB

mcphero_74
19th June 2009, 10:28 PM
As I write this I'm attempting to install the OS. After clicking on the install Mac OS X icon, a window appears with a prompt to restart the computer to begin installation. But this is as far as I get, after restarting, the same thing happens over and over. I tried changing the startup disc to the software and restarting while holding down the c button, but this didn't work either. How is this problem resolved?

ClockWork
20th June 2009, 12:17 AM
If the external Burner / Reader is connected via USB, it cannot boot from any OS X Disc.

The external Burner / Reader must be fully functional, and be attached via FireWire 400.

mcphero_74
20th June 2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip. I was able to complete the installation after I disconnected the USB connection and ran the burner using Firewire. I haven't had a chance to see if the unit can play DVDs or burn discs yet.

ClockWork
20th June 2009, 01:13 PM
If the external burner had problems playing DVDs in 10.3, it will still have the same problems in 10.4.x.

The only difference is that Mac OS 10.4.11 is a faster OS than Mac OS 10.3.

However, using the FireWire connection over the USB connection may change things.