PDA

View Full Version : Can You Turn The Startup Sound Down/off?

Bart Smastard
13th June 2005, 12:29 AM
OK. This is either a big secret or I'm looking in all the wrong places. Whatever it is I can't work out how to change the volume of the sound/alert as my eMac powers.

The computer is right next to my baby's room and I'm afraid it's gonna wake him up (and that would be very bad).

Disko
13th June 2005, 12:33 AM
just turn the volume down before you shut down/restart. iirc there is an app somewhere that turns it off completely, it was mentioned in a previous thread on this topic.

natakim
13th June 2005, 12:38 AM
The mute button will get rid of the startup (something noise don't know what to call it). Obviously you need to turn the volume off initially when the computer is still on, then leave it on mute. Must say though emacs seem to run quite load, but as someone who also has a child, try not to be too precious about noise, it is kind of like conditioning maybe, and besides they never seem to sleep to regularily anyway. good luck

en.elle
13th June 2005, 03:38 AM
startupsoundprefpane (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425)

:thumbup: :)

Rayd
13th June 2005, 08:15 AM
plug in headphones? :P

Bart Smastard
13th June 2005, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by en.elle@Jun 13 2005, 03:38 AM
startupsoundprefpane (http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/16425)

:thumbup: :)
That did the trick.
Why wasn't this built into OS X? Seems to me an obvious requirement. Better than having to remember to mute or turn doen the volume before shutting down.

Oh well, after a week on Mac and that's my only complaint.

Cheers

dmeston
6th February 2006, 02:23 PM
headphones dont work on the iMac G5 as the startup sound always comes through the iMac speakers at FULL bloody volume.

The startupsoundprefpane works ok!

D

Goodbye
6th February 2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by dmeston@Feb 6 2006, 02:23 PM
headphones dont work on the iMac G5 as the startup sound always comes through the iMac speakers at FULL bloody volume.
The startup sound in my iMac G5 comes on at whatever volume I left it at...

marc
6th February 2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jun 13 2005, 08:15 AM
plug in headphones? :P
That's what I do. I didn't realise it doesn't work on the iMacs. It's worked on every other mac I've owned.

dmeston
6th February 2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Goodbye@Feb 6 2006, 02:25 PM
The startup sound in my iMac G5 comes on at whatever volume I left it at...
and that maybe true as mine is always full but controlled via external speakers.

:-)

mechcon
6th February 2006, 02:33 PM
i suppose im the only one that doesn't mind having that startup chime roaring at the start of the day at work :)

reminds me of a skit i saw once, on livemactv, some bloke pulls out a powerbook, and the startup chime (different one of course) goes for over a minute or 2, everyone in the library are either laughing or just shocked

funilly, he did it after this girl rocked up at her table w/ a piddly windows xp laptop :P

cosmichobo
6th February 2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm assuming they don't want it silenced as it is a diagnostic tool.

iMick
6th February 2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah I like to keep those windows plebs I work with to know who's boss in the morning :)

dmeston
6th February 2006, 03:11 PM
LOL

mechcon
6th February 2006, 03:29 PM
some blokes whistle the xp startup theme when they hear it blaring, but the osx one? i groan to the same tone to them, as in "groannnn morninnnnnggg" :P

W2ttsy
6th February 2006, 03:33 PM
my pro tip? dont shut down.

all the fans go off when you sleep, so why not just do that. not to mention that on off on off is worse for the PSU, where as sleep or 24/7 operation is better...

W2ttsy

Bart Smastard
6th February 2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by cosmichobo@Feb 6 2006, 02:34 PM
Well, I'm assuming they don't want it silenced as it is a diagnostic tool.
How is it a diagnostic tool? Checks the speakers are working? :huh:

cosmichobo
6th February 2006, 03:38 PM
Being a bart smartsard there, or serious q?

The startup chime lets you know the basic hardware (cpu and memory) are working ok... At least, did in the old days... I presume that's still the same. You DON'T want to hear the bad-mac sound, instead of the startup sound... Well, actually, I thought it was very cool first time I saw it on a Mac Classic II... til the teacher asked what I'd been doing...

Arkhum_Eramak
6th February 2006, 04:28 PM
Yep, the boom is still a diagnostic thingy, whilst I was running my modded Mac mini it was the thing I always wanted to hear after I'd fixed something up. The boom makes me happy, I am usually pretty tense up until the moment of boom, especially if I've been messing around with the innards.

Once I heard no boom, just beep beep beep beep. It was very unpleasant. I thought it was the CPU, the Apple website refused to tell me what it meant unless I was an Apple Certified Tech and I was crapping 'cause it wasn't my machine. Turned out it was a dead RAM chip...although we are suspicious of the socket also. Just stopped using the socket in the end. But it is a handy primary diagnostic thing, if it still booms, then everything is mostly okay.

A dead CPU card in our Quicksilver also didn't register with a boom, but just left us with silence. Eerie loud Quicksilver PSU silence (you know the kind, like the silence of sharing a room with an overnight rendering machine).

I love the boom.

Asher Tuzza
6th February 2006, 11:50 PM
i find if i turn my speeker down to the 2nd lowest volume the startup sound will go down with it, but if i put the volume off or on mute - the startup sound will go to MAX volume... not nice, i used a headphone jack in those situations....