PDA

View Full Version : The things you find

The_Hawk
28th May 2009, 07:17 PM
It's software... so I suppose it goes here :P

For some random reason I needed a floppy today and found these in a box in my drawer at work... the last time I had a Mac at work was almost 10 years ago so it seems I have been carting these from office to office from job to job for a while ;)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b202/Th3_H4wk/Other/Random001/IMG_4109.jpg

So can you run somethign like this on a current MacBook... given a floppy drive?

ChrisG
28th May 2009, 10:27 PM
You could always download the old OS online and run it via Parallels or VM Ware Fusion under virtualization software.

Brains
29th May 2009, 04:56 AM
The_Hawk: those disks aren't for a Mac to begin with, they're for a much older machine, the Apple IIgs -- the only similarity between the Apple II series and the Macintosh series was they were made by the same company, they're mutually incompatible.

http://myoldmac.net/Sellpicts/AppleGS-system.jpg

forno
29th May 2009, 08:59 AM
Ah, the lunchtime scramble to get a IIe in the computer room and load up a game from a 5 1/4" floppy:D:D:D

The_Hawk
29th May 2009, 09:53 AM
The_Hawk: those disks aren't for a Mac to begin with, they're for a much older machine, the Apple IIgs -- the only similarity between the Apple II series and the Macintosh series was they were made by the same company, they're mutually incompatible.

I well know the difference, funnily enough those disks came from the IIGS I used to own...

My IIGS didn't have a HDD and didn't have a 3.5" drive, only a 5 1/4" :(
When I did get my hand on the right drive the software took forever to load, although once it did it was really very similar (if not the same as) the Mac of the day. Mind you it was sort of pointless loading that software since all the software I had would boot itself anyway. We used the IIGS to run Apple II software, nothing newer. For it's day it was pretty swish ;)

While I didn't like my chances I was hoping it might just work for some old skool nostalgia ;) It was worth asking. Looks like I might have to hunt down an emulator to get that lovin.

Looking at this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~gp/VirtualII/ (http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Egp/VirtualII/) As the first hit to come up on Google, will have to have a play and see what happens.

...now to hunt down all the old disks at mums place...

Japester
29th May 2009, 10:00 AM
I remember the IIGS being unofficially pitched as the first colour Mac. It predates the Mac II.

The_Hawk
29th May 2009, 10:24 AM
I remember the IIGS being unofficially pitched as the first colour Mac. It predates the Mac II.

Bought in the late Eighties, the school my mother worked at had Apple IIE's, so we ended up with the "top of the line" Apple machine which could be used to do work at home. The IIGS was Apple II compatible while also having it's own software which was IIGS only... yet it wasn't Mac compatible.

It served the family well for lots of years, I learned BASIC programming on that machine... kids today with their GUI's don't know what they were missing out on :P

Alex Morrow
29th May 2009, 10:25 AM
"I remember the IIGS being unofficially pitched as the first colour Mac"
Strictly speaking, the IIGS wasn't a Mac at all. It was my first computer - a massive 640 KB of memory (Woz edition) until we upgraded it to 1 MB with a card the size of a business envelope. Biggest problem with it was the lack of hard drive - System disk had to be loaded each time it was turned on, and that made two disk drives almost mandatory. We used two 3.5 drives and one 5.25 drive stacked on top of each other.

Geoff3DMN
29th May 2009, 10:27 AM
The IIGS was a machine to drool over back in the day...

to be honest at the time I didn't get the whole all in one Macintosh thing :)

~Coxy
29th May 2009, 10:39 AM
You could always download the old OS online and run it via Parallels or VM Ware Fusion under virtualization software.

Parallels and VMWare Fusion are for Intel operating systems only.
GSOS isn't going to work!

The_Hawk
29th May 2009, 10:39 AM
Ignore me, double post somehow...