PDA

View Full Version : Lacie Lightscribe Dvd Disk Compatibility Issues

Inspired
12th June 2005, 10:07 PM
I finally bit the bullet. DVD burners have come down considerably in price and I liked the lightscribe ads.
I bought an external burner for my emac, and because I could not get hold of any lightscribe dvd media, I took some advice from a friend, and bought a 50 pack of inkjet printable princos (dvd-r). I soon discovered that these disks failed regularly during the burning process, and those that were successful paused 2 to 3 times during playback in my one year old sony dvd player.
I eventually got hold of some verbatim lightscribe dvd+r disks and my problems disappeared, perfect copies and a great hollographic label effect, although apparently they label better on cd-r media. I'm now very happy with my Lacie burner and its true what they say: you get what you pay for. Thanks Verbatim.

skibunny
12th June 2005, 10:22 PM
funny my princos worked perfectly whereas the imitation discs that I bought didn't work at all! Not a single one. Must have been a bad batch. :(

Inspired
12th June 2005, 10:28 PM
By fail regularly, I mean I lost about 15 out of 50. And that's not to say that don't work ok in some dvd players, they just aren't consistant or reliable. The one's that worked often failed during the verification process as well. And I wouldn't even consider imation disks!

Rayd
13th June 2005, 12:00 AM
princo rules? :P i use them all the time, no dramas :D

Inspired
13th June 2005, 07:39 AM
Princos cost me $20 for 50 and while they are cheap they caused me no end of frustration and aggrevation. Using my trusty cannon printer, they don't even print that well. A dull, rough surface- not the quality that can print a decent picture. Not all media is created equal...

skibunny
13th June 2005, 09:57 AM
Obviously they aren't all made equal, but going on your cost theory I would have expected that the imitation discs which cost $16 for 10 would be more reliable than the princos - i realise that you say that you would never use imitations but doesn't that then go against your "you get what you pay for" belief? ;)

Has anyone tried Ridata discs?

KELVIN
13th June 2005, 12:18 PM
Within the PC world.. what you have both described is a common place

There are a lot of fussy dvd recording drives and there are drive which are tolerant of nearly every piece of media...

Results can also change dramatically with the version of firmware on the drive..

The idea is to try out various media on your drive and then stick to the one the works best...

There are some media which is universally acclaimed as problematic eg Lasers

And some media which some people have lots of problems with eg Princos but others find work perfectly.... (Ive used lots of Princos and pioneer ddive tend to work perfectly with these and liteon / sony mechanisms have problems)...

Verbatim discs are generally accepted as higher quality and imation is NOT accepted as a well respected brand...

Have a lot at www.cdfreaks.com in the forum sections to see how obssessed people can be about their media...

Unfortunately on the Mac side of things... the range of workable drives / firmware is limited..

Inspired
13th June 2005, 09:53 PM
What I find the most frustrating, is that DVD has been out for 6-7 years commercially, and we still have compatability issues. My 12 month old sony 'meant to play everything' has trouble playing princo disks. I thought these issues were ironed out 4 years ago , back when I bought my first sony dvd player for $600 that couldn't play anything but video store titles.
I hope blueray and HD video are simpler and more compatible formats. It makes it difficult to archive anything... And none of my relatives have the same damned dvd player- each have compatability issues with whatever I produce.

Febs
13th June 2005, 10:56 PM
If you want cheap AND good, try Ritek. Their G04 stuff (which is older media now) was OEM Verbatim or TDK stuff, I heard.

Either way, it's cheap as chips, prints beautifully and hasn't had any compatibility issues for me whatsoever. I've also never had a coaster with them.

Cheers,
- Febs.

KELVIN
13th June 2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Inspired@Jun 13 2005, 09:53 PM
What I find the most frustrating, is that DVD has been out for 6-7 years commercially, and we still have compatability issues. My 12 month old sony 'meant to play everything' has trouble playing princo disks. I thought these issues were ironed out 4 years ago , back when I bought my first sony dvd player for $600 that couldn't play anything but video store titles.
I hope blueray and HD video are simpler and more compatible formats. It makes it difficult to archive anything... And none of my relatives have the same damned dvd player- each have compatability issues with whatever I produce.
Writable DVDs have only become affroable in the last two years... the technology has been evolving in leaps and bounds during this time. Mutliple speed increases and the advent of dual layer writing together with three competing standards +/- and RAM,

A brand new DVD player does NOT ensure compability, most brand name players are highly intolerant of media, and sony as a supporter of the + standard, would have had little incentive to support the minus standard (of which princo produce discs for)...

The most compatible player tend to the be the cheap chinese ones, which are usually zone free and highly tolerant of anything that is thrown at it...

You need to do some proper research before buying your equipment...
a properly written -R dvd, on reasonable media, written on a proper writer authored correctly has a >90% of working in DVD players.... +R are slightly less compatible. and RWs are the most difficult to get going...

What mechanism is in the Lacie Lightscribe drive?... the specs do not match any of the major good players in DVD burning world (ie Pioneer / Nec / LG) which is usually a very very bad sign.... in terms of firmware support, and media compatibility, and quality burns.

mvjs
14th June 2005, 07:18 AM
Does any DVD Burner (e.g. the sony duel layer one), work with iDvd, and then iMovie? So can I build iMovie projects and then burn the using iDvd, using the Sony Duel Layer DVD burner, on to a Duel Layer DVD? This burner is ovisly in a exturnal case :)

Thanks