PDA

View Full Version : default user profile/home folder

stevekicks
28th May 2009, 02:12 PM
hey guys..

i've setup a new mac at home and have everything the way i want it.. icons in dock, finder prefs etc. is there anyway to make the profile the default profile for any new users?

would save me alot of time setting up additional accounts..

any info or advice would be great!

cheers.

Brains
28th May 2009, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately not.

vecsty
28th May 2009, 04:18 PM
Sure there is, you need to copy that profile ( Library ) into the System/Library/User Template.

bartron
28th May 2009, 04:55 PM
Sure there is, you need to copy that profile ( Library ) into the System/Library/User Template.

...as root

admin access won't cut it

stevekicks
29th May 2009, 04:48 PM
thanks for your help guys.. simply did the following from the terminal from an additional temporary account...

sudo mv /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj English.lproj.old
sudo cp -R /Users/stevekicks /System/Library/User\ Template/English.lproj

all additionally created accounts used the profile without any problems. the default one is there if i need to revert back.

thanks guys!

...as root
admin access won't cut it
didn't need to enable the root account.. not sure why you thought that?

dagaz
29th May 2009, 05:49 PM

You do know what sudo is right?

vecsty
29th May 2009, 06:30 PM
You do know what sudo is right?

You do not need to enable the root user to use sudo.

dagaz
29th May 2009, 09:11 PM
From the sudo man page:

sudo allows a permitted user to execute a command as the superuser

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo):
The sudo ... command is a program for some Unix and Unix-like computer operating systems that allows users to run programs with the security privileges of another user (normally the superuser, a.k.a. root).

By typing in sudo you are effectively giving yourself root priveleges for the timestamp set in /etc/sudoers (five minutes by default).

Bourgoises_Pig
30th May 2009, 12:03 AM
thanks for your help guys.. simply did the following from the terminal from an additional temporary account...

all additionally created accounts used the profile without any problems. the default one is there if i need to revert back.

thanks guys!

Wonderful information! A couple of questions before I do this for a machine at the university where I work:

1.) If an application such as iTunes builds a library for the original stevekicks profile and sets a path upon first use, then how do you configure such an application in the profile prior to copying to the template? I would not want new users to automatically get the same path for stored music and videos as stevekicks. Naturally, they should have their own folder. I will assume that you did not bother to open applications such as iTunes in order to configure them. Is that correct? If not, is there a workaround?

2.) How do you remove records of recently accessed files in the profile prior to copying it. This would be the last step to take while still logged in as stevekicks. I want new users to have no records of recent files when they log in for the first time.

3.) Any websites that discuss the "ideal" settings for applications would be appreciated.

Thanks!