PDA

View Full Version : XBMC on PPC

novice
27th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Does anyone have XBMC running on a G4?

banjo
27th May 2009, 08:12 PM
As far as I know it is Intel-only, as are pretty much all similar programs.

[edit] actually just checked the website - it says it supports PPC now. I will have to give it a try.

novice
27th May 2009, 08:49 PM
I noticed today it was PPC as well, but after downloading, it says it doesn't support the architecture.

banjo
27th May 2009, 09:37 PM
I noticed today it was PPC as well, but after downloading, it says it doesn't support the architecture.

Just tried it as well, same result. Seems that support for PPC is broken ... if it ever worked in the first place. Pity, I'd like to give it a try on my HTPC to see if it's easier to work with than Front Row.

novice
28th May 2009, 01:02 PM
I'm the same, was really keen to try it out as i have a lot of friends who love using it on an XBox.

Byrd
28th May 2009, 08:03 PM
I'm the same, was really keen to try it out as i have a lot of friends who love using it on an XBox.

For SD-quality video, you can't beat a $50 - 100 Xbox. I recommend the "Auto Installer Deluxe" which installs all the goodies at once.

JB

imacattack
30th May 2009, 12:29 AM
I have XBMC both on my PC and my old XBOX excellent also have it on my iMac now as well.

avolve
24th August 2009, 05:48 PM
I initially had the same issue *would not run on my G4. From memory, it was an issue with the download link.

I am reverting my mini to 10.4 to see how it runs with XBMC (as opposed to 10.5 with Front Row)...

banjo
24th August 2009, 07:54 PM
I actually managed to get it working, but didn't like it at all. Decided to bite the bullet and bought an Intel Mini off eBay so I can install Plex on it (which I've been playing around with all afternoon I love it).

avolve
24th September 2009, 12:41 PM
I have XBMC set up on my PPC mini and purchased the XBMC remote XBMC iPhone Remote (http://remote.collect3.com.au/)

I am unable to connect. On start-up, i get the error "could not connect to network server"

I have followed the config guide Setting up XBMC Remote (http://remote.collect3.com.au/setup) and also tried manual config via the remote with no joy.

Anyone have this working?

EDIT: not having too much success with Boxee might go back to the simplicity of front row... (and slow running Leopard)

Anyone have a link to a guide to configure the Aeon (http://www.aeonproject.com/) skin???

avolve
18th November 2009, 12:18 AM
I updated to the latest stable build of XBMC (Babylon) for PPC and changed the skin from Aeon to Rapier (running OS X 10.4).

It now runs a lot faster and smoother much more enjoyable experience. I have the XBMC remote on my iPhone which is nice too (after some issues with setting it up properly).

For me one of the kickers over Front Row is the auto scan for new content and auto-d/l of tv/movie details and images.

BiRDBRAiN
18th November 2009, 06:44 AM
I had lots of stability issues with XBMC for PPC, so I switched to VLC + VLC Remote app.

avolve
28th December 2009, 08:09 AM
I have not had any real issues with XBMC on my G4 mini. Going back to Tiger was a very good move.

The two things I having trouble with are, I can't seem to find the setting to stop video playback from looping & I have recurrent issues with the XBMC remote (on my iPhone) connecting to my mini.

When the remote connects it works great. My current setup has the mini connects to the LAN via wifi. The IP specified is a 10.0.0.x. Even. If this IP does not change, I often get a cannot connect error. Anyone have a similar issue or solution?