PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone $69 Cap Plan - any good?

Abaddon
27th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Hi guys. Just come off contract on my current phone and looking to get an iPhone. Looking around for the best deal atm and the Vodafone $69 Cap looks to be the best IMO.

Any hidden gotchas I should be aware of or is it as good as it reads on the website? What's coverage like? (will appreciate comments from anyone in Canberra). I'm currently with Telstra and I'm aware that their coverage/performance is best, but I don't know if I can justify the cost.

Any comment appreciated.

TIA.

Lutze
27th May 2009, 11:06 AM
Unless you are urgently needing to sign up to something right now I'd consider waiting a wee while as the new / next iPhone is rumoured to be just around the corner (maybe as close as 2 / 3 weeks away)

NeoRicen
27th May 2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'd wait for the next iPhone. It should be announced in 2 weeks and be released in about 6 weeks (the chances that they will release at the same time as announcement is practically 0).

If you really don't care, then the $69 Vodafone is the best at that price point (only because Optus offers lower priced plans, though they are, of course, worse). The only major 'gotcha' is that the price to cancel your contract is the number of months left on the contract x $69. Optus on the other hand doesn't require the full amount per month x months remaining to cancel, instead only asking for a certain percentage of that amount, which gets lower the longer you stay.

Optus:

If you choose to pay the cost of your handset by the monthly handset payment option or choose a 12 or 24 month plan and you cancel your Optus Mobile service or it is disconnected for any reason, or you switch carriers within your minimum term (“Termination”) you will be required to pay the remaining amount on your phone, if any, plus applicable “Termination Fees”. The Termination Fee for the 24 month plan is calculated in accordance with the following: for months 1-12, 100% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 13-15, 80% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 16-18, 60% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 19-21, 40% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 22-24, 20% of the Initial Termination Fee. The Termination Fee for the 12 month plan is calculated in accordance with the following: For months 1-6 of a 12 month term, 100% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 7-9, 70% of the Initial Termination Fee, for months 10-12, 40% of the Initial Termination Fee.
Vodafone:

If you decide to leave before 24 months is up, just pay minimum monthly spend x the number of months left on your Contract. Handset exit fee may also apply. If you do not connect to Vodafone within 30 days of Handset being sent to you a Handset Recovery Fee will apply.

So if you're like me and probably won't stick with a 24 month contract, keep this in mind.

Also, keep in mind the next iPhone will likely be more expensive, with the Australian dollar now worth $0.78USD, and being $0.96USD when the current iPhone was priced and released. On the up side if the rumours are true, the new models will be 16GB and 32GB, so the price for a 16GB model will probably be lower, or in the worst case scenario, the same price.

Abaddon
27th May 2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. My dilemma is the old 'bird in the hand' problem. I know the new iPhone is coming out, but I'm concerned that the pricing will be more (as you point out NeoRicen), so I may miss out on good deal for want of (currently) unspecified improvements. Did I read somewhere that it's possible that Apple will keep the 8Gb as a price leader and sell a high end 32Gb only, or did I imagine that?

As far as the pay out figure is concerned, I a) don't have any problems seeing out a contract (I can be very patient when I want to be) and b) am used to Telstra's policy which is the same as Vodafone regarding the amount of payout.

Anyhow, I think I read on another thread that the Vodafone deal has been extended to end of June, so I may wait for WWDC to see if there's any specific details on the new iPhone, and then decide from there.

Thanks again for the replies.

Cheers, A.

andrewhollo
27th May 2009, 02:41 PM
It sounds like you're very budget conscious, which is good. However, I learned the hard way with Voda that saving money does not equal saving money when you can't get a signal! I'm in MEL and found country VIC travel really problematic. If you go anywhere outside urban centres, I'd look into this carefully, especially if your work/business depends on it.

Andrew

ipwn
27th May 2009, 03:50 PM
well you could be sneaky, sign up for the 8gb for 59/mth upgrade after a month to the $69 a month so your exit fee is worked out on the initial contract.... this could be worth asking when ur in voda store..

Abaddon
28th May 2009, 02:40 PM
well you could be sneaky, sign up for the 8gb for 59/mth upgrade after a month to the $69 a month so your exit fee is worked out on the initial contract.... this could be worth asking when ur in voda store..

Trouble is I really have my eye on the 16 Gb so probably won't even if they'd let you get away with it (which I would doubt).

It sounds like you're very budget conscious, which is good. However, I learned the hard way with Voda that saving money does not equal saving money when you can't get a signal! I'm in MEL and found country VIC travel really problematic. If you go anywhere outside urban centres, I'd look into this carefully, especially if your work/business depends on it.

Andrew

Not really for business at this stage (though that could change). I do travel to rural NSW frequently so yes that's a worry. That's the whole dilemma. Telstra gouge you as much as they can but I do know you get coverage in more places. Oh well still pondering and waiting.

Cheers A.

bendowd
28th May 2009, 06:16 PM
hi everyone

yeah i am in the same boat
i am looking to get an iphone on contact with optus (As all my mates are on optus), but i have a budget of max $50-$55 per month

under their current deal on the 59 cap, you get $100 credit, which takes it tabout $54.83 per month

but as other uses have stated? Is it worth waiting or should i purchase now since it is in my price range? (i mean, i am basically happy with what hte current iphone offers) Will i be able to get an new iphone for a similar price when it is released?

i know there are are a a fair few cluey people here so may be able to help me out,

xwing25
29th May 2009, 10:42 PM
I am on the new $69 cap. I think its good value with 1GB of data and best mate.

macrich
30th May 2009, 07:58 AM
If you go with Optus, be wary about their network. It can be very sketchy at times, as has been pointed out here many times over and elsewhere on the net.
I just wonder if Vodafone is any better than Optus or just as bad with dropouts and such.