PDA

View Full Version : Optus unlock process?(call made)

whitemacbook
26th May 2009, 07:20 PM
I've totally forgotten what Mr Optus said to me last night on the phone when I called to get my phone unlocked.

So what happens next and does the impending 3.0 release have any effect on it?

timmytomtam
26th May 2009, 07:23 PM
Within 10 days, you'll get an SMS telling you to restore your phone via iTunes, and it will then magically be unlocked ;)

3.0 wont make a difference.. It wont be like suddenly locked again or anything.. hopefully :p

whitemacbook
26th May 2009, 07:39 PM
I guess the question was more does it then turn into a 'new' phone and all my data ect is now gone?

leon
26th May 2009, 07:42 PM
I guess the question was more does it then turn into a 'new' phone and all my data ect is now gone?

As long as you backup your iPhone with iTunes, restoring shouldn't be a problem. Your iPhone will just restore itself from the backup and be just like it was before. Only things you will lose are scores and stuff from any apps you have purchased.

timmytomtam
26th May 2009, 07:43 PM
Nope. After it has restored, you will have the option of setting it up as a new iPhone or restoring your data from a backup (which occurs each time you sync it)

whitemacbook
26th May 2009, 08:13 PM
would it be better to wait till 3.0 is released before I do the unlock?

matthew858
26th May 2009, 08:34 PM
3.0 makes no difference to the unlock, as it all works through your iPhone's UDID number.

whitemacbook
10th June 2009, 01:05 AM
Within 10 days, you'll get an SMS telling you to restore your phone via iTunes,

still no SMS?
nothing when i connect with itunes either

Huy
10th June 2009, 01:11 AM
Restore and see what happens.

Zeus
10th June 2009, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=timmytomtam;787965]Within 10 days, you'll get an SMS telling you to restore your phone via iTunes, and it will then magically be unlocked ;)
/QUOTE]

They told me the same thing wait 10 days, but not long after I made the call 22 hours later I got a SMS saying its all done.:cool:

whitemacbook
11th June 2009, 02:12 PM
well
i just called the optus jokers and they informed me that my unlock has been rejected BECAUSE:
while i've had it for 6 months AND spent over $300 in credit using this particular iphone I have been using my original optus sim card I had and only used the 'free' credit on the original supplied sim then ditched it.
I chose this method on the advice of not only the optus 'customer support' who informed me you can't transfer numbers between prepaid optus sim cards and after the 2 weeks it took to port my number from virgin to optus I wasn't going to go through all that nonsense again.optus assured me that it can be unlocked for free providing $120 has been spent using the device.
also the apple store employee who 'served' me assured me that yes it will be able to be unlocked after using credit to a value of $120 regardless of which sim card is in it as long as it's optus.
the optus tech guy I spoke to just recently about an unlock also said it could be unlocked now I ring to make and enquiry as to the status of it and the guy informs me it's failed I sk why didn't I get an SMS about it then?He said the aren't setup to notify of failures I said that's ridiculous but you an bombard me with txt messages about wanting to register my interest for the NEW iphone?

hell is currently being raised

a new phone carrier is also being investigated for immediate switching as soon as it's unlocked.

Huy
11th June 2009, 03:34 PM
@whitemacbook: does this mean you've paid the $120?

I bought an iPhone 3G prepaid (Optus) for my girlfriend this year. She is on Optus and I switched her SIM out, throwing away the included free Optus SIM and putting hers in.

I was actually worried/thinking they might screw me over like this: even though we've had it for 6 months, recharged over $120, etc... it wasn't with the included SIM that came with the iPhone 3G, but with another Optus SIM being used with it.

I will be pretty pissed off if we have to pay $120 (after they jacked it up from $80) on top of increasing the prepaid iPhone 3G price from $849 to $899 (yes I paid this for the 16GB 3G).

At the end of the day, if I want it unlocked, I suppose I will top up with $120 and use it as prepaid credit... ideally they should unlock it for free since an Optus-locked iPhone is only good for Optus (and Virgin). We've been paying our monthly recharges in excess of $120 now!

whitemacbook
11th June 2009, 05:31 PM
it wasn't with the included SIM that came with the iPhone 3G, but with another Optus SIM being used with it.

well grease yourself up and prepare to get shafted then because my new information tells me that the $120 MUST be used on the sim card/number that was included with the iPhone when purchased.

completely contradictory to what i was previously told by
1)optus store manager
2)apple sydney staff member
3)optus iphone tech support guy

the tech guy I talked to today confirmed that yes they can unlock a cell from another company like nokia in the above situation but the iphone is 'special' and then tried to pass the buck along to Apple saying they rejected it not Optus.

whitemacbook
11th June 2009, 05:38 PM
does optus' voice 'recognition' system make anyone else want to shoot themselves?

Huy
11th June 2009, 05:41 PM
well grease yourself up and prepare to get shafted then because my new information tells me that the $120 MUST be used on the sim card/number that was included with the iPhone when purchased.

Thanks whitemacbook. I had a feeling I would be shafted. They are getting their money anyway, it is just annoying.

I guess they will unlock it, if you pay $120 on another Optus SIM, right? Assuming you can use the $120 as recharge credit as well.

We've thrown out the original Optus SIM and number provided since I was just interested in the iPhone. I hope they don't want me to top up $120 on the original SIM provided... :confused:

whitemacbook
11th June 2009, 05:55 PM
well someone speaking martian just very 'matter of factly' told me with a heavy sigh in a 'I really can't be bothered answering this' kinda way to "put the original sim back in ,recharge to $120 and then sir the unlock will go ahead at no charge"
then I exploded
transfered to a *manager*
on hold for 15 minutes
24 hours apparently it'll be unlocked but no sms to tell me so due to some more jibberish nonsense answers I hung up

I need a spritzer to calm down now

Huy
11th June 2009, 06:04 PM
Is that what you had to do? (sorry for the questions, I'm in the same position).

Insert original SIM. Cough up $120. Wait.

I may be up the creek if I don't have the original SIM...

whitemacbook
12th June 2009, 05:10 AM
No I didn't use the old sim I yelled a lot and swore and they eventually relented after 3 phone calls.
less stressful to pay the extra $120 if you have it or don't mind giving optus more $$ than they need

whitemacbook
12th June 2009, 06:33 AM
ok it's now been unlocked
on 3.0GM
now awaiting a jailbreak for 3.0
and looking for a new carrier

Huy
12th June 2009, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the update whitemacbook.

I'm glad because I was thinking: what if I told Optus that the prepaid iPhone was gifted? (which it was) and hence the person did not receive a SIM? Surely they can still pass along the IMEI to Apple to unlock it without having the user recharge $120.

If it comes down to it, we'd be 'happy' to recharge $120 under another Optus account and unlock it that way.

Cheers for that. I'm relieved that I don't have to have the original SIM. It sounds silly to have that requirement.

led-zep
13th June 2009, 07:13 PM
i was thinking about this myself, im going to buy the iphone 3gs on prepaid (when it does eventually come out on prepaid) im using virgin and if it does come out on prepaid with optus will i be able to just use my existing virgin sim in the new iphone? that wont screw it up will it? reason is i will give my existing 16gb 3g to mum and get the new 3gs 32gb for me....will try and find this out

Huy
13th June 2009, 07:26 PM
Virgin on an Optus locked iPhone 3G S should be fine.

led-zep
13th June 2009, 07:29 PM
sweet that will save me the $120 to unlock it, and i have one more year left on virgin plan. not too shabby thanks mate

kevinnugent
16th June 2009, 11:53 AM
How can you tell (on the phone) that it's actually been unlocked? Is there something there that gives it away? I must admit remembering to unlock my phone but can't remember if I unlocked my wifes..... ;)

iphoner
16th June 2009, 01:57 PM
Borrow a sim from a different carrier (or buy one for 2 bucks) and whach it in the iPhone, if it gets signal then it's unlocked.

kevinnugent
16th June 2009, 02:11 PM
Ahh...cool...thanks. Couldn't find another SIM until I realised my Wireless Broadband card has a Voda SIM in it. Ripped it out, stuck in the iPhone and voila.... :)

Thanks for that.

Huy
16th June 2009, 02:25 PM
You will also be told when you restore your firmware and reactivate the iPhone. You get a nice "Your iPhone has been successfully unlocked." screen.

Of course, sticking in another SIM is easier.

darrelltiemens
18th June 2009, 09:07 AM
Guys. I'm seriously leaving Optus as soon as my contract runs out. They are now what Telstra used to be like. Slow and bureaucratic plus their network sucks. I was down in Melbourne recently and at least 50% of the time had the "no service" message on my iphone. Vodafone or Telstra -- any recommendations?

whitemacbook
22nd June 2009, 10:32 AM
i was leaving optus (reason for unlocking) however after moving out of sydney last week i've had full bars of service on optus everywhere here (port stephens) and yeah slightly amazed how well optus works away from sydney