PDA

View Full Version : New app: Beats

marc
26th May 2009, 05:32 PM
We've just released a new iPhone app, this time for DJs and music producers.

Beats combines a BPM counter, an advanced DJ metronome and a key-mixing aid. It won’t mix the records for you or get you a drink from the bar, but Beats might help you become a better DJ.

More info: Beats, an iPhone app by Bjango (http://bjango.com/apps/beats/)

http://bjango.com/images/apps/beats/beats-tempo.jpg http://bjango.com/images/apps/beats/beats-key.jpg

Even if you don't buy it, the help documentation might teach you a thing or two about key mixing :) Help with Beats by Bjango (http://bjango.com/help/beats/keymixing/)

Aaron
26th May 2009, 05:54 PM
App is useless for me, but:
That interface is so fucking awesome - I'm tempted to buy it just for this reason.

ZacDavies
26th May 2009, 06:52 PM
I seriously think Bjango have the best app user interfaces.. considering the range of software available

Tapbots are great too, but the theme is is incredibly similiar each time

ojk007
26th May 2009, 06:55 PM
wow you guys know how to design an app. That looks awesome.

Im not much of a dj, but it looks like there might be some stuff in there i could use.

marc
26th May 2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Just need to make sure we have enough useful app ideas... :)

If anyone's interested, we saved a picture of the UI every 5-10mins while it was being designed. Will have an animation online very soon, showing the entire process from start to finish.

ZacDavies
26th May 2009, 07:40 PM
(Disclaimer: I think yours looks much better) Marc, have you seen Paul Van Dyks official iPhone app? Glowstick mode made me lol.
Can't wait for an app allowed to access the itunes library.. so I can have an iTonium iPacemaker

matthew858
26th May 2009, 08:43 PM
Just a suggestion - could we please have more time signatures, or even the option to make one ourselves (within constraint)? 3 time signatures in simple metre isn't very many!

kenexx
26th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Oooh From the thread title I thought it was something completely different :eek:

gameon
26th May 2009, 09:16 PM
nice work marc
really good idea, for djs like me that don't have any prior music experience the
keymatching feature is awesome

xfodder
26th May 2009, 10:56 PM
aww i thought it tuned guitars :( blonde me

marc
26th May 2009, 11:36 PM
Just a suggestion - could we please have more time signatures, or even the option to make one ourselves (within constraint)? 3 time signatures in simple metre isn't very many!
Sure. Will probably add more in the next version.

However, for DJs and dance music (the main target for the app), a broad range of time sigs wasn't as crucial. Definitely want to improve this aspect in version 1.1 though.

decryption
26th May 2009, 11:37 PM
Like Darkness, it is so pretty, but I have no use for it. Didn't stop me purchasing it though :D

marc
27th May 2009, 02:18 AM
(Disclaimer: I think yours looks much better) Marc, have you seen Paul Van Dyks official iPhone app? Glowstick mode made me lol.
Have seen it now. Looks like a bit more of a gimmick than our app ;) Good to see PvD doing something like that though.

marc
27th May 2009, 11:41 AM
Animation showing 87 snapshots taken during the design process for Beats:

Seon
27th May 2009, 12:39 PM
Marc, your design skill is simply, well, freakin awesome! Seriously.

goatcatcher
27th May 2009, 02:42 PM
App is useless for me, but:
That interface is so fucking awesome - I'm tempted to buy it just for this reason.

My musical ability/knowledge is less than zero, and I have no idea what those buttons do, but I agree it loos so awesome I want to buy it and press them to find out. It wouldn't make me a better DJ, but it would make me drool.

ZacDavies
27th May 2009, 03:32 PM
love the way that the digits "roll over" when turned on in that vid.. by that I mean, that the seperate parts flash randomly.. I have an old Korg Entrancer that does the same thing :)

El Guardo
27th May 2009, 04:06 PM
Can't wait for an app allowed to access the itunes library.. so I can have an iTonium iPacemaker

iPhone OS 3.0 allows all apps to the access the music library. (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2009/03/17iphone.html)

marc
27th May 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks.

Also, full credit where it's due: there's some amazing code holding all those images together. Settings is a work of art: that's not a standard Table View/Nav Bar!

Saw the Pacemaker for the first time yesterday (online, not in person). Seriously cool bit of kit! Looks like a lot of fun. Love the idea of DJing from the dancefloor.

tangent23
27th May 2009, 09:11 PM
that was a cool vid, good work guys!

richbowen
27th May 2009, 10:35 PM
Animation showing 87 snapshots taken during the design process for Beats:

Familiar sounding soundtrack ... I think you should acknowledge the source when you use commercial music for a video like that ;)

marc
27th May 2009, 11:30 PM
you should acknowledge the source when you use commercial music for a video like that ;)
'tis ok. I know people who know people.

(Also, credits are in the description on the full Vimeo page.)