PDA

View Full Version : Unibody 17" MacBook Pro Anti-Glare Film

MarkVsMason
26th May 2009, 02:04 PM
Hi guys,

I'm soon to be the proud new owner of a Unibody 17" MacBook Pro, which I am OH SO excited about!

I've ordered the glossy model in the hopes that I might be able to get an anti-glare film for it, just like the products Power Support (http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/show/antiglare-film-for-macbook-pro-17) sell. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, they don't ship to Australia.

So what I'm after is either somebody that does sell these, or something like them, here.

I don't want to be staring at my own reflection for too long!

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jaffa
26th May 2009, 03:26 PM
I saw the 15" version in the Apple Store Sydney before the 17" was introduced, so maybe Apple can sell you one directly...

MarkVsMason
26th May 2009, 03:49 PM
I saw the 15" version in the Apple Store Sydney before the 17" was introduced, so maybe Apple can sell you one directly...
I did look into that, however, they don't seem to stock the 17". I just went to MyMac in the Melbourne CBD, and they don't have anything. Although the guy there said he'd grab me one from the states when he goes there in a few weeks. So if I can't find anything before then, at least I have a backup option.

I'll keep hunting.

simonm
26th May 2009, 09:12 PM
That was very nice of him! I too am expecting a 17" baby to arrive soon. I share your antici......pation.

MarkVsMason
27th May 2009, 12:58 PM
That was very nice of him! I too am expecting a 17" baby to arrive soon. I share your antici......pation.
I know!

Have you ordered the gloss aswell? I don't think I can keep it that way, have to get the anti-glare film.

DeanCorp
27th May 2009, 10:01 PM
Why wouldn't you just order the 17" with the Anti-glare in the first place? Would be FAR better than buying a glossy and putting an Anti-glare film.

neg2led
27th May 2009, 10:11 PM
Why wouldn't you just order the 17" with the Anti-glare in the first place? Would be FAR better than buying a glossy and putting an Anti-glare film.

I can think of 2 reasons, 1 stupid but understandable, 1 completely stupid.

1. Didn't want to wait 5 days for the build process for anti-glare
2. Didn't want to lose black border around screen (completely stupid option)

--neg

Lumus
27th May 2009, 11:20 PM
Isn't the "anti-glare" option just missing the glass?

pabsw
28th May 2009, 12:02 AM
apparently not. although apple don't make this clear with their advertising.

The anti-glare is the screen from the previous generation macbook pro 17" 1920x1200 option.

The glossy screen is a new build with the advertised 60% greater gamut. The colours are 'truer' according to the sales dept at apple.

The two are entirely different screens. both are LED backlit but the glossy is the newer tech.

Apple don't make this explicit on their website and their is even conflict between staff at apple when you ring to try and clarify the situation.

I have the antiglare but under remorse I am comparing it with a glossy. I'll take some pics and post them when the glossy arrives

The antiglare is still awesome but I am eager to compare it with the glossy.

I did compare it with my previous generation 15" MPB and the screen is brighter, with better contrast (enough to be obvious) just FYI

Hope this helps a little.

MarkVsMason
28th May 2009, 07:45 AM
From what I've heard, putting the anti-glare film on the gloss actually looks better than getting the the anti-glare screen.

Plus, I would prefer to go with the model as it was intended to be, and not some after-thought redesign to appease the masses when they realised the big f*@$ up they made in only offering the gloss with the 13" and 15" initially.

I can think of 2 reasons, 1 stupid but understandable, 1 completely stupid.

1. Didn't want to wait 5 days for the build process for anti-glare
2. Didn't want to lose black border around screen (completely stupid option)

--neg
For starters… arrogant much??

1. Build time had nothing to do with it.
2. Not that this was a determining decision, but shoot me for thinking the black looks better than some after-thought (as stated earlier).

There is more to life than patience and looks, as there were in my decision making.

Isn't the "anti-glare" option just missing the glass?
You would think they'd do something along those lines, but no, it's a different screen altogether. Some (not me) would say an inferior screen.

apparently not. although apple don't make this clear with their advertising.

The anti-glare is the screen from the previous generation macbook pro 17" 1920x1200 option.

The glossy screen is a new build with the advertised 60% greater gamut. The colours are 'truer' according to the sales dept at apple.

The two are entirely different screens. both are LED backlit but the glossy is the newer tech.

Apple don't make this explicit on their website and their is even conflict between staff at apple when you ring to try and clarify the situation.

I have the antiglare but under remorse I am comparing it with a glossy. I'll take some pics and post them when the glossy arrives

The antiglare is still awesome but I am eager to compare it with the glossy.

I did compare it with my previous generation 15" MPB and the screen is brighter, with better contrast (enough to be obvious) just FYI

Hope this helps a little.
Thanks for the reply @pabsw. Let us know what you think of the comparison.

MarkVsMason
30th May 2009, 03:42 PM
So nobody knows of anything?

av8or
31st May 2009, 01:36 PM
I have just put on a anti glare cover on my MBP 15" Unibody. It is great, I even got one for the iPhone. Initially it made the screen looks slightly pixelated, however your eyes adjusted very quickly and it is very clear.

It reminds me of my old MBP screen, only it retains the brightness of the newer model. Best thing is, when it is on my desk at work... No glare!!

amanocaza
1st June 2009, 02:50 AM
Hi guys,

I'm soon to be the proud new owner of a Unibody 17" MacBook Pro, which I am OH SO excited about!

Hi, my name is Alexandros (ebay user amanocaza)
I believe you ordered the macbook from electronic king inc. I also ordered mine last tuesday and I am a little worried whether they will sent it at all. :( Please if you receive yours let as know. I am really anxious and I am trying hard to find someone who used the same seller.
Thanks in advance, from Greece

MarkVsMason
18th June 2009, 04:32 PM
Still looking guys, found out the Power Support item isn't for the unibody 17". Who needs/wants anti-glare film for the older model!?

dche5390
6th September 2009, 03:08 PM
Diggin' up an old thread here. Where can I get an anti-glare film for the 15" MBP? Does Apple sell them? Had a brief look at theirs e-store and couldn't find it.

av8or
7th September 2009, 11:24 PM
I bought mine from Singapore. For memory it was around 60 bucks.

I love it, however sometimes I do miss how clear the glossy screen is!!

If you need a hand getting one let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

dche5390
8th September 2009, 05:56 AM
Found it for the 15" (http://store.apple.com/au/product/TV184LL/A?mco=ODYxMzY4Mw)

Users report that after application, the screen is more "grainy" or "fuzzy". I wonder what that means. The glossy screen has finally gotten to me after months of use. It needs to go.

amanocaza
23rd September 2009, 10:29 PM
Hi, my name is Alexandros (ebay user amanocaza)
I believe you ordered the macbook from electronic king inc. I also ordered mine last tuesday and I am a little worried whether they will sent it at all. :( Please if you receive yours let as know. I am really anxious and I am trying hard to find someone who used the same seller.
Thanks in advance, from Greece
I'm sorry if I worried anyone. I got the MacBook pro in perfect condition, six days after I ordered it. Until today everything works fine. The Macbook pro 17" is even better than I expected!!! I will definitely buy again from the Electronic King in the future ;-)