PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Vodafone launch Visual Voicemail

shivstar
26th May 2009, 10:50 AM
Hi all, it's official, Vodafone is launching Visual Voicemail in 24 hours. I just recieved a text message from them about it (will post a screen shot when I get to a computer). The text had a link to Visual Voicemail (http://www.vodafone.com.au/vv) for further info.

I'm sure other operators will follow suit...but thank you Voda for getting your stuff together...better late than never :)

Chief911
26th May 2009, 10:56 AM
AGH, good news for vodaphone, why isn't this being delivered for all telcos???

Mecha
26th May 2009, 10:58 AM
Wicked. Tell us how it goes!

Pookster
26th May 2009, 10:58 AM
Yep, I can confirm it. I work for Vodafone Customer Care. We were sent this internal memo yesterday:

iPhone Visual Voicemail

Launching Tuesday May 26th, iPhone Visual Voicemail allows iPhone users only to view a visual list of their voicemail messages and listen to them in the order they choose, enabling customers to select the message most important to them.

iPhone Visual Voicemail downloads a copy of voicemails from the Voicemail system and stores it locally on the iPhone. It then keeps your iPhone and the Voicemail system synchronised. So whether you’re using Visual Voicemail or dialling 121 to access voicemails, they will always be in sync. There are transfers of data between your iPhone and the voicemail system in order to keep them synchronised at all times.

New and existing iPhone customers from May 26th will automatically gain access to Visual Voicemail from their iPhone provided they’ve got the latest iPhone software. Customers that do not have the latest software will need to download this software first through iTunes before Visual Voicemail can be utilised.

There will also be an iPhone Visual Voicemail campaign to kick off on May 26th <campaign link to follow shortly> to target all iPhone customers and advise of the service. Customers who have the latest software already will be auto provisioned first, customers who don’t yet have the latest software will be asked to follow some simple instructions on the vodafone.com.au web site in order to prepare their iPhone to be automatically provisioned with Visual Voicemail.

Should a customer be auto provisioned for Visual Voicemail and does not want the service they can revert back to either TXT Alert (1218) or Ring (1219) alerts for their voicemail service by using the short dial codes.

Costs for iPhone Visual Voicemail

Visual Voicemail needs to transfer data in order to keep synchronised with the Voicemail system. The data transferred will incur charges according to your current plan. However, the following is an example of potential data transfers based on sample user data for retrieval of your voicemail messages.

The maximum voicemail message size across the average user is approx. 50kb in size. The maximum number of voicemail messages is 20.

This means that to download a full mailbox with maximum size messages would transfer approximately 1MB of data.

NOTE: The above example is considered high usage of voice mail.

What will the customer experience look like for customers yet to setup voicemail?

For new iPhone customers who have not yet had VVM provisioned:

If customer taps the voicemail icon, 121 will be dialled.
This will then prompt the customer to initialise their voicemail box (personal greeting etc)
NB. Shortly after connection & provided the customer has the latest software, VVM will be auto-provisioned. This will provide customer with VVM instead of having to dial 121 however the customer will still need to set up their own voicemail settings

FAQ’s

Is iPhone Visual Voicemail available on Prepaid?
Yes iPhone Visual Voicemail does work on Prepaid however there is no current iPhone Prepaid offer available.

Does iPhone Visual Voicemail offer short dial codes?
Yes, IVVM short dial codes are :
1213 – Cancel all voicemail diversions
1217 – Set up Visual Voicemail once provisioned with correct software
1218 – TXT alert
1219 – Ring alert

Is iPhone Visual Voicemail available overseas?
Yes, this service is available in countries that support data roaming. Please read the iPhone Visual Voicemail User Guide for further details.
Data roaming charges will apply according to customer’s current plan.
Customer’s should enable Voice and Data Roaming before going overseas in order to access their Visual Voicemails while abroad. Alternatively, they can change their Voicemail notification to TXT alert while overseas. NB: Ring alert is not available while overseas.

Don't bother calling up asking questions about it - the info above is all the info we have at Customer Care so far. I have training in iPhone OS 3.0 and Visual Voicemail today, I'll pass on any new info as it comes to hand.

Raffe
26th May 2009, 11:00 AM
Come on Optus...don't let me down!

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Hooray, I've been hanging for this. They've had it listed on their online store as a feature since day one...

Just checked and it ain't up yet (24hrs, I know, I know) can't wait to try it out.

mitty
26th May 2009, 11:01 AM
Visual Voicemail is a network feature, totally dependant on the Telco. I would imagine that it's easier for the smaller providers (eg Vodafone) to implement than the bigger ones.

tcn33
26th May 2009, 11:02 AM
Awesome news. Hopefully the big T will follow suit ASAP.

decryption
26th May 2009, 11:05 AM
I hate Optus even more now.

Is anyone able to post a screenie of the SMS sent out to Voda customers regarding VVM?

pengu
26th May 2009, 11:07 AM
Visual Voicemail is a network feature, totally dependant on the Telco. I would imagine that it's easier for the smaller providers (eg Vodafone) to implement than the bigger ones.

It's all comin' up millhouse!

also as for the comment about smaller providers. You do know Vodafone is the biggest mobile telco in the world right?

bed
26th May 2009, 11:09 AM
Yes please Telstra implement this too.

pengu
26th May 2009, 11:11 AM

I doubt it. Telstra has a long history of f*cking its customers with a 12" iron bar, why would they change now?

Al Aero
26th May 2009, 11:13 AM
Carn optus pull that finger out....

pengu
26th May 2009, 11:14 AM
Also, for those of you on optus:

remember, this uses data transfer.. do you REALL want people pulling MORE data over the optus network?? :p

tcn33
26th May 2009, 11:17 AM
I doubt it. Telstra has a long history of f*cking its customers with a 12" iron bar, why would they change now?

Because they can charge extra for this.

pengu
26th May 2009, 11:19 AM
Because they can charge extra for this.

I thought their game was charging extra for the same service? this would actually require some effort on their part..

also. on a slightly related note. anyone know anything about the technical details of VVM? are we likely to see other handset makers support it any time soon?

Reubania
26th May 2009, 11:19 AM
Wasn't there info at the launch of iPhone 3G way back in July that Vodaphone had indicated it will provide VVM? Good to see one Aussie telco putting money into this service. I hope others follow suit.

Lutze
26th May 2009, 11:25 AM
It's actually possible that this has all been delayed because of the lawsuit that was / is outstanding about VVM against Apple & AT&T.

Apart from that - it's all an investment in Apple hardware IIRC. VVM requires backend stuff that's done on Apple boxes. Most telco's would not let untested gear anywhere near their network.

bok
26th May 2009, 11:28 AM
Come on Optus...don't let me down!

Has there ever been a time when they haven't let you down?

BoxDog
26th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, VVM launched by Vodafone.. just in time for the rumored iPhone 3rd Gen to hit the streets in a few months, with plenty of room to guinea pig the service on their existing iPhone 3G install base.

Exocet
Damn, beaten to the GizModo punch.

mitty
To be honest I'm unsure why everyone is so excited. I honestly can't be bothered checking voicemail most of the time, I usually just rang back any missed calls on my phone to see what they wanted as I'll probably have to call them back anyway.

lama323
26th May 2009, 11:33 AM
Yew just got the text message,

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-ke8cu6yjwc6a8ctk1qwbnktdfb.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/lama323/btwch/img-0013)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/lama323/btwch/img-0013) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

ChrisG
26th May 2009, 11:35 AM
I checked for updates on iTunes and it says it is my iPhone is running the latest version. Has it not been released yet? If not, when is the expected release date?

Lutze
26th May 2009, 11:39 AM
This is not from Apple. It's direct from Vodafone - no update required from iTunes.

lama323
26th May 2009, 11:44 AM
I checked for updates on iTunes and it says it is my iPhone is running the latest version. Has it not been released yet? If not, when is the expected release date?

all you have to do is make sure your able to receive data, (like you haven't put on a data blocker). Turn your phone off, then on, and you should have VV. :)

I've got it working and it's great :)
The ability to change your greeting within the "app" is fantastic. Its also very quick to sync a new voicemail back to your phone.

Very happy so far!

Reubania
26th May 2009, 11:47 AM
To be honest I'm unsure why everyone is so excited. I honestly can't be bothered checking voicemail most of the time, I usually just rang back any missed calls on my phone to see what they wanted as I'll probably have to call them back anyway.

Everyone's excited because it's a feature that the iPhone should have originally. But because of our cheapskate telcos here, none have implemented it but Vodaphone today. So it's exciting. We're getting to use another feature of the iPhone as it's suppose to be. It almost feels complete. :D

ChrisG
26th May 2009, 11:48 AM
I restarted and went to Visual Voicemail and it didn't work. Just went to the 121 number. I don't have a data blocker because I have a post-paid internet plan.

Alec Fraser
26th May 2009, 11:50 AM

To upgrade to a new 17" iron bar? ;)

Exocet
26th May 2009, 11:53 AM
I restarted and went to Visual Voicemail and it didn't work. Just went to the 121 number. I don't have a data blocker because I have a post-paid internet plan.

Lets try a game...

Hi all, it's official, Vodafone is launching Visual Voicemail in 24 hours.

lama323
26th May 2009, 11:53 AM

I firstly synced to itunes, and made sure I was on the newest update (just to be sure). Then I restarted twice, after that it worked.

qf380
26th May 2009, 11:55 AM
all you have to do is make sure your able to receive data, (like you haven't put on a data blocker). Turn your phone off, then on, and you should have VV. :)

I've got it working and it's great :)
The ability to change your greeting within the "app" is fantastic. Its also very quick to sync a new voicemail back to your phone.

Very happy so far!

I thought it would require a carrier file update through itunes or soemthing.

Mines not working :angry: tried updating on itunes, said i had current version. Tried calling 1217 to turn voicemail on, said it couldnt be processed.

And i didnt get the text, now i feel inferior :o haha

decryption
26th May 2009, 11:55 AM

Mines not working :angry: tried updating on itunes, said i had current version. Tried calling 1217 to turn voicemail on, said it couldnt be processed.

Hi all, it's official, Vodafone is launching Visual Voicemail in 24 hours.

Be patient dude!

macrich
26th May 2009, 12:22 PM
Damn, not only do I get crappy service with Optus, but I still miss out on VVM. At least all us Optus people won't be alone. Telstra still doesn't have it.

qf380
26th May 2009, 12:30 PM
Be patient dude!

*breathes* ok, im calm, il wait

Still, i want a text from them!! haha

QueenOfSwords
26th May 2009, 12:50 PM
Damn, not only do I get crappy service with Optus, but I still miss out on VVM. At least all us Optus people won't be alone. Telstra still doesn't have it.

VVM can't be far away for us.. Voda uses the Optus network, correct?

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 12:55 PM

Nope, they have their own network.

W9cae
26th May 2009, 12:59 PM
Telstra from the launch was also saying they would bring visual voice mail. After several conversations with my connection no more was mentioned. So I had kinda given up of ever seeing this in Australia. Maybe the other players will come to the table now ?

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 01:02 PM
I firstly synced to itunes, and made sure I was on the newest update (just to be sure). Then I restarted twice, after that it worked.

Got a screen shot?

Anyone else got it working yet?

pengu
26th May 2009, 01:07 PM

I can't believe how many people always assume "it's all the same network" when talking about Telstra/Vodafone/Optus.

Surely the difference in coverage areas and network performance is enough for people to realise they all have their own independent networks?

adrianb
26th May 2009, 01:15 PM

I didnt get it yet either and same thing - itunes says i have the current version and turning the fone off and on didn't change anything.

They must be migrating people account by account or something I guess.

QueenOfSwords
26th May 2009, 01:18 PM
I can't believe how many people always assume "it's all the same network" when talking about Telstra/Vodafone/Optus.

Surely the difference in coverage areas and network performance is enough for people to realise they all have their own independent networks?

They do share some infrastructure (e.g. Optus-Vodafone 3G network goes offline | Australian IT (http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24570587-15306,00.html)) . I'd forgotten that *Virgin* was sharing Optus' network though.

My point was that this might imply software compatibility, to facilitate a quick upgrade for Optus users as well.

qf380
26th May 2009, 01:28 PM
I didnt get it yet either and same thing - itunes says i have the current version and turning the fone off and on didn't change anything.

They must be migrating people account by account or something I guess.

I think the "connect to itunes" bit is just a ploy to make sure people have the latest software in general. I think turning it off and on should prob do it. But it takes so long to start up after restarting!

pengu
26th May 2009, 01:28 PM
They do share some infrastructure (e.g. Optus-Vodafone 3G network goes offline | Australian IT (http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24570587-15306,00.html)) . I'd forgotten that *Virgin* was sharing Optus' network though.

My point was that this might imply software compatibility, to facilitate a quick upgrade for Optus users as well.

i seem to remember seeing something that says the 3G sharing deal between optus and voda never happened, and all they actually share is physical towers, but they each have their own equipment at each site?

Also. Virgin doesn't just use the Optus network, it's *owned* by Optus

NeoRicen
26th May 2009, 01:34 PM
Cool, but I'm not switching to Vodafone on the next iPhone unless they bump their data allowance on the $69 plan to over 400mb, at least, more if they allow tethering.

pengu
26th May 2009, 01:35 PM
Cool, but I'm not switching to Vodafone on the next iPhone unless they bump their data allowance on the $69 plan to over 400mb, at least, more if they allow tethering.

how about 1GB:
Apple® iPhone? 3G - Buy it from the Vodafone Online Store (http://store.vodafone.com.au/iphone/)

NeoRicen
26th May 2009, 01:40 PM
how about 1GB:
Apple® iPhone? 3G - Buy it from the Vodafone Online Store (http://store.vodafone.com.au/iphone/)
When the hell did that happen?

I am so going to Vodafone next time.

lama323
26th May 2009, 01:44 PM
Got a screen shot?

Anyone else got it working yet?

Yes I do.

I get a missed call (me calling from my home number - "blocked") about 15 seconds after I leave a message on my mobile voicemail I get a sms tone to let me know I've got new voicemail.

Notice how the phone badge has "2" yet I only have on missed call. 2 constituting a missed call, and a visual voicemail message has been received.

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-du459qtu1tbj519xu5qaq4gis.jpg

So I tap the phone icon

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-x3k464s76bh228ry6mgr8dh98p.jpg

Tap the voicemail button and I see who has left the message,

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-gkeg8p9tfs6g9ta5t6k5xpdnj6.jpg

Tap that message and it plays.

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-cj2t18cu16atuhshrpktd3jnw7.jpg

As shown here I can change my greeting and also record a new one

http://img.skitch.com/20090526-x99tsnn2f7xaxf2p8tabe66aw9.jpg

tcn33
26th May 2009, 01:47 PM
WANT.

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 01:53 PM
Cool, thanks for that.

The thing I'm hanging for is being able to play back parts of a message instead of having to listen to the whole thing again, like when someone leaves you their number but says it a thousand miles an hour and it takes 3x playbacks of the message for you to get it all down...

qf380
26th May 2009, 03:18 PM
When the hell did that happen?

I am so going to Vodafone next time.

Yeh its only recent, i noticed it the other day.

morgs
26th May 2009, 03:39 PM
So, I have a 1st Gen iPhone on Vodafone. Will I be able to use VVM??

Lutze
26th May 2009, 03:41 PM
So, I have a 1st Gen iPhone on Vodafone. Will I be able to use VVM??

It *should* just work. It's the same system as was launched with AT&T.

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 03:51 PM
Yeh its only recent, i noticed it the other day.

Sorry to get off topic,
just saw these new plans and called them and "Upgraded" from the old $99 Cap ($550 worth of calls & 500mb of Data)
To the new $99 Business Cap ($600 worth of calls + $700 of Vodafone to Vodafone calls, 400 SMS's & 2gb of Data!!!)
NO Penalties or Fees :thumbup:

Bring on tethering in 3.0 :D

qf380
26th May 2009, 03:57 PM
Sorry to get off topic,
just saw these new plans and called them and "Upgraded" from the old $99 Cap ($550 worth of calls & 500mb of Data)
To the new $99 Business Cap ($600 worth of calls + $700 of Vodafone to Vodafone calls, 400 SMS's & 2gb of Data!!!)

Weee awesome as! I might check out the new caps, but maybe il hold off till WWDC incase of new phone.

Back on topic, VVM still not going for me, boo. It would be handy, cause i never check voicemail hahah i let it pile up, it was tradtionally so much effort to check

jack112006
26th May 2009, 04:06 PM
When I got my iPhone, my mum was the one who was off-contract. so we signed her up under a cap for the iPhone that was only available for 30 minutes, added a data plan to my plan, then swap the sim cards. How will this affect my access to VV??

shivstar
26th May 2009, 04:23 PM
I think vodafone are being smart here...they're positioning themselves to be able to take as much of the iPhone customer base as possible with the new iPhone coming around the corner, more data with plans and now visual voicemail. I think at first they saw the iPhone as a fad (espically in the UK) but now realize it's potential...which is good, long live the iPhone :D

(sorry didn't get a screen grab up...still not at a computer - I wish we could upload from the photo library/directory on the iPhone)

NeoRicen
26th May 2009, 04:24 PM
I hope that if everyone goes Vodafone on the next iPhone that it doesn't bring down their network, which is what seems to have happened to Optus.

shivstar
26th May 2009, 04:29 PM
Yeh...let's hope they have seen what is happening with optus and strengthed thier networks so if everyone is using 1gb/month it doesn't crash out!

iMic
26th May 2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry to get off topic,

Just called Vodafone, they're upgrading my $69 cap to $400 worth of calls and 1GB of data starting next month. Plus Visual Voicemail today. God I love Vodafone! :D

iCameron
26th May 2009, 04:50 PM
Yep, I can confirm it. I work for Vodafone Customer Care. We were sent this internal memo yesterday:

Don't bother calling up asking questions about it - the info above is all the info we have at Customer Care so far. I have training in iPhone OS 3.0 and Visual Voicemail today, I'll pass on any new info as it comes to hand.

Thankyou!

Telstra and Optus better get on this quick-smart.

Who the hell is going to buy an iPhone on these networks when Vodafone supports VVM? It's a major selling point and can cost Optus and Telstra some big $$$ if they dont pick up their game..

Saying this now. When my buddy says "Who should i go for on my iPhone" im going to tell him Vodafone, for VVM.

Lutze
26th May 2009, 05:05 PM
I'm a bit bemused by the reaction to this that some of you are having. Maybe I just don't get it.... maybe it's because I'm a tight fisted Scot - but I've always had Voicemail (of any kind) turned off. If it's important they will call back - why should I pay for a call? ;o)

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 05:13 PM
I'm a bit bemused by the reaction to this that some of you are having. Maybe I just don't get it.... maybe it's because I'm a tight fisted Scot - but I've always had Voicemail (of any kind) turned off. If it's important they will call back - why should I pay for a call? ;o)

If it's a client wanting to give you business, you'll want to call them back. ;)

Lutze
26th May 2009, 05:17 PM
If it's a client wanting to give you business, you'll want to call them back. ;)

If you are using your mobile phone as a primary contact then you'll be losing customers straight away.

Anyhoo - it's not like standard voicemail doesn't work - so still - bemused by the song and dance that this is producing.

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 05:26 PM
it's only a fuss because it's a cool feature that we've been missing out on for almost a year, they've had it in the US for almost two!!!

And for people that rely on voicemail (more so for business I guess) It'll come in pretty handy.

pengu
26th May 2009, 05:34 PM

Vodafone has the option to have voicemail call you back (and its free!).

Only problem is, if you refuse a call (i.e. hang up without answering) it goes to voicemail. I do this a lot if im talking with managers/clients. the phone then rings back ever 5 or so minutes trying to return the message.

Lutze
26th May 2009, 05:48 PM
Vodafone has the option to have voicemail call you back (and its free!).

Only problem is, if you refuse a call (i.e. hang up without answering) it goes to voicemail. I do this a lot if im talking with managers/clients. the phone then rings back ever 5 or so minutes trying to return the message.

Ahhh you miss my point! Even when I've had free voicemail I've never used it (I've requested that it be turned off)... when I leave a voicemail for anyone I include my number so the person can call me back... at THEIR cost. So when someone leaves a message they then expect you to call them. Bugger that for a game of soldiers! ;)

I did say I was a tight fisted Scotsman!

pengu
26th May 2009, 06:08 PM
I did say I was a tight fisted Scotsman!

see i thought that part was a joke. clearly not.

Exocet
26th May 2009, 06:09 PM
Sometimes its not necessary to call somebody back? Message I received today:
"Hi, this is Frank from AV-Repairs, your sound bar is ready to be collected. We're open until 5:30PM today, thanks for your time"

Al Aero
26th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Sometimes its not necessary to call somebody back? Message I received today:
"Hi, this is Frank from AV-Repairs, your sound bar is ready to be collected. We're open until 5:30PM today, thanks for your time"

call back: OK

Exocet
26th May 2009, 06:38 PM
Nah, I just went in and picked it up before the closing time he advised in his message. Strangely enough he was pretty cool with it!

Buthidae
26th May 2009, 07:39 PM
woot! Although I'm roaming overseas at the moment so it's possible I won't get the carrier update until I get home :eek:

Someone earlier in the thread asked how VV worked - for their (and any other curious kids out there) it's basically an IMAP mailbox, and each message has a audio file attached :)

morgs
26th May 2009, 08:17 PM
So, do I have to have data enabled for VVM to work on my 1st Gen iPhone with a $49 pre paid? When I dial 1217 the message just says that it cannot process my voicemail request or something like that.

Joey1983
26th May 2009, 09:16 PM
VVM will use data, but I get that msg too when calling 1217.

Anyone else out there got it working yet?

morgs
26th May 2009, 09:23 PM
I can get data on my 1st Gen but my $49 doesn't get me far if I do. Might just have to wait for the next iPhone.

DJY
26th May 2009, 09:31 PM

Yes please Telstra implement this too.

Agreed!! Come on Telstra!!!!
Maybe the pending advertising campaign promoting the service might get Telstra moving???

Also, for those of you on optus:

remember, this uses data transfer.. do you REALL want people pulling MORE data over the optus network?? :p

Mmm so VVM send an audio file to your iPhone - rather than only leaving them on the network. Interesting! Sounds like IMAP not POP3 voicemail! :tongue:

jack112006
26th May 2009, 09:32 PM
VVM will use data, but I get that msg too when calling 1217.

Anyone else out there got it working yet?

According to Vodafone support, they are having problems and are talking to Apple about ways to resolve them. The person who took my call didn't have a timeframe.

iggi
26th May 2009, 09:38 PM

New caps already. 69 gives u $400 & 1GB.
We have an Unlimited atm - gives you obviously unlimited .. but 2GB data.

Wicked for tethering! Promo extended til end of June ;)

iggi
26th May 2009, 09:41 PM
Start of May :)

NeoRicen
26th May 2009, 09:44 PM
New caps already. 69 gives u $400 & 1GB.
We have an Unlimited atm - gives you obviously unlimited .. but 2GB data.

Wicked for tethering! Promo extended til end of June ;)
Yeah, someone else pointed that out earlier, was 250MB last time I checked.

I've been redoing my plan calculator and Vodafone is starting to look even better than Optus, who had the best plans at launch. Only downside is Vodafone's cheapest plan is $59 a month, $69 for the 16GB.

iggi
26th May 2009, 09:53 PM
Its 8pm here.. no text everyone is talking about.
Reset twice. Still not going "Visual" only "Audial" :P

*Waiting.. waiting*

Exocet
26th May 2009, 09:56 PM
Guys its going to be a progressive roll out, I think patience is the key word here. It will happen when it happens and not a moment sooner.

politik
26th May 2009, 09:56 PM
I've purposely never upgraded to the new Vodafone plans because compared to the ones at launch, they have double the cancellation fee - mine was the monthly cost divided by 2 and then multiplied by the number of months remaining, the new ones are the monthly cost multiplied by the number of months remaining.

Suck it up, especially if you'll have to pay the fee come July.

iggi
26th May 2009, 09:59 PM
I've purposely never upgraded to the new Vodafone plans because compared to the ones at launch, they have double the cancellation fee - mine was the monthly cost divided by 2 and then multiplied by the number of months remaining, the new ones are the monthly cost multiplied by the number of months remaining.

I think because the old EEF could have ended up a lot cheaper doing an "upgrade" and starting your contract over, rather then buying a new phone outright.

iggi
26th May 2009, 10:01 PM
Has anyone in GPRS area got it going?

Vodafone's website does say it needs a good data connection, but doesn't specify it HAS to be 3G...

DazR6
26th May 2009, 10:03 PM
Yep love it, I got my message this morning.

iggi
26th May 2009, 10:33 PM
Cool so wait for the SMS and thats the READY?

iggi
26th May 2009, 10:40 PM
I have been advised by someone at VF:

"Visual vmail started roll-out 2day & will be with all customers by end of week. Make sure u have latest software via iTunes sync"

:)

TJA77
27th May 2009, 11:03 AM
I woke up this morning and it was set up, no formal SMS from voda, I just clicked the voicemail icon and it came up with a list of a few messages I had, works really well! good stuff Voda

SSUteboy
27th May 2009, 12:39 PM
The last time i was waiting for a text from vodafone was when the iPhone came out. that was a painful wait and this is almost a painful.

Joey1983
27th May 2009, 12:44 PM
It's been 24hrs and still no text or VVM, oh well keep waiting I guess....

SSUteboy
27th May 2009, 12:45 PM
I just changed my plain to the new plans with 1 GB data. Without signing up to new contract.

Joey1983
27th May 2009, 12:55 PM
I just changed my plain to the new plans with 1 GB data. Without signing up to new contract.

Same here, But...

Seems we've been sucked in. If you were thinking about breaking your contract for the new iPhone looks like the fee will be double...

I'm not too fussed as I'm happy on the new plan anyway and there'll only be 12 months left on it come July instead of 24.
Just hope the new phone will be available outright and not contract only.

mallo
27th May 2009, 02:05 PM
Same here, But...

Seems we've been sucked in. If you were thinking about breaking your contract for the new iPhone looks like the fee will be double...

I'm not too fussed as I'm happy on the new plan anyway and there'll only be 12 months left on it come July instead of 24.
Just hope the new phone will be available outright and not contract only.

Without being 100% I'm as sure as I can be that when you break your contract, you only have to pay the amount based on your original plan you signed up to.

So if you signed up on a 29$ cap, and then upgrade to a $100 cap, and then you decide to break it, they can't charge you the cancellation fee based on the $100, it should be based on the $29.

That input is based on me doing almost exactly that 12months ago when i left voda to get my iphone with optus (*head slap*), I had been on a 79$ when i signed up to the contract, and had upgraded to their $149 cap at one stage, when i broke my contract to go to optus, i had a couple months remaining, and they calculated what i owed them based on the original $79 contract, not the $149 upgrade....

LevMac
27th May 2009, 02:06 PM
I too am waiting for the new Visual Voicemail to come through, hasn't yet, ill be patient...

Also, ive just rang Vodafone to up my download to their new 1GB data as well at no extra fee or charge, and the lady on the phone said that its not a re-contract, as my plan end date will still expire normally..... So I was happy :)

jack112006
27th May 2009, 03:19 PM
I have activated VV, but a message came up saying: "Visual Voicemail is currently unavailable. You have new messages on the server.". It then presented me with a call voicemail button. Then I got the text from Vodafone saying I'll get VV within the next 24 hours.

matthew858
27th May 2009, 06:36 PM
Anyone have any idea about the pricing structure of Visual Voicemail? What are the costs involved?

NeoRicen
27th May 2009, 06:47 PM
Anyone have any idea about the pricing structure of Visual Voicemail? What are the costs involved?
Uses data, and very little of it. 50kb is the average apparently (someone posted this info earlier in the thread).

So cheaper than regular voicemail.

matthew858
27th May 2009, 07:05 PM
Is it connected with regular voicemail in any way ie. are any of the voicemail fees incurred for using the service?

Alec Fraser
27th May 2009, 07:31 PM
Is it connected with regular voicemail in any way ie. are any of the voicemail fees incurred for using the service?

What it says on the Vodafone site is that there is no charge for the service, it just uses part of your data cap. As Neo has said already, they state that the messages should be about 50kb each.

Your regular voicemailbox still exists and you can access it as you do now.

If you pay to collect voicemail, and you still call 121, then you will pay for that call.

Looking at my plan and my usage, I don't think it will cost me a single sent to use voicemail.

The Fluffy Duck
27th May 2009, 10:21 PM
well if optus ONLY put as much money into their network as they do on their "spare no expence life like 3d adverts". We would have it by now along with a coverage and speed to match telstra.......But alas cute 3d foreign animals must come first over service.

politik
28th May 2009, 09:07 PM
Without being 100% I'm as sure as I can be that when you break your contract, you only have to pay the amount based on your original plan you signed up to.

So if you signed up on a 29$ cap, and then upgrade to a $100 cap, and then you decide to break it, they can't charge you the cancellation fee based on the $100, it should be based on the $29.

That input is based on me doing almost exactly that 12months ago when i left voda to get my iphone with optus (*head slap*), I had been on a 79$ when i signed up to the contract, and had upgraded to their $149 cap at one stage, when i broke my contract to go to optus, i had a couple months remaining, and they calculated what i owed them based on the original $79 contract, not the $149 upgrade....

Nope, this is from the terms and conditions:

A customer may request to change from their Cap only once per monthly billing period by calling Vodafone Customer Care. If the customer does this, the customer must accept the terms of their new contract (including any applicable Early Exit Fee, plan change fee and/or handset recovery fee or handset early exit fee).

qf380
28th May 2009, 10:56 PM
I still dont have it and am yet to receive my text, tomorrow is their last day! Chop chop!

Lumus
29th May 2009, 09:06 AM
Nope, this is from the terms and conditions:

Correct, if you exit your contract at the higher price point the EEF for that plan is in effect.

HOWEVER

If you contract to a lower plan you can drop back to that lower plan at no charge, THEN cancel and the EEF will be at that price not the higher one.

cmanou
29th May 2009, 11:39 PM
I still havent got my text or visual voicemal :( i might call tomorrow

Joey1983
30th May 2009, 02:20 PM
From Vodafone's website:

http://img.skitch.com/20090530-ctqwwmaep48nd8ca1fj19ibrd7.jpg

Still nothing here :(

iMic
30th May 2009, 04:25 PM
Same here, 1217 (VVM activation) just tells me it was unable to process my request. Already checked over their requirements, software versions, coverage, etc and still no go.

I need to call them on Monday anyway. Will run it past them then.

qf380
1st June 2009, 06:19 PM
Just got the text, turned phone off and it still doesnt work. Getting pretty f***ing annoyed now

speedway boy
2nd June 2009, 09:35 PM
is this working for people now?

I only just got my text tonight, but iTunes is not saying there are any updates.

Nothing happening at my end.

DazR6
2nd June 2009, 09:46 PM
Mine works fine and has from day 1.

cmanou
2nd June 2009, 10:16 PM
i got my text tonight as well turned my phone off and on and now it works except have no credit so i cant test it but its going to the vv screen

Joey1983
2nd June 2009, 10:49 PM
Still waiting here, not even a text msg yet.
Tried a restart but still nothing.
Now it's just starting to piss me off...

iMic
2nd June 2009, 10:59 PM
I'm taking mine in tomorrow for a plan upgrade. They mentioned over the phone that my account may not have the new provisions for VVM, but wouldn't give me a time frame as to when it would be corrected. Most likely they'll need to sort it out in the store.

For all I know the text message could still arrive any moment, but since I need this work done anyway, i'll run it past them and see what they say.

GeoffP
3rd June 2009, 11:34 AM
Strange, VVW actually started working for me before I received a txt message.

Wondered what had happened to my voice mail as I wasn't aware of any upcoming changes :D

It works really well

iMic
3rd June 2009, 03:32 PM
Well, Vodafone were incredibly helpful (+1, kudos to Vodafone and their support team, top notch), basically they're still working on the services and filtering it down through the accounts. Unfortunately support doesn't have access to the information or status of the department making the backend changes, so all we can do is play the waiting game.

They did upgrade my account free of charge though, so all good. :D

princearthur
5th June 2009, 10:43 AM
3 has it for a long time

jack0
5th June 2009, 11:21 PM
Just in case anyone any one is running 3.0 and have uploaded the vodafone ipcc file and visual voice is not working, just make in settings the visual voice is not set to live.vodafone.com cause it wont work as i have found out.
mine now works with vfinternet.au settings.

iMic
5th June 2009, 11:26 PM
Aye, to anyone that still doesn't have Visual Voicemail, chances are they pushed out the new carrier settings but your handset didn't receive them. It may seem like an inconvenience so you may wish to wait for iPhone 3.0 anyway, but restoring the phone managed to get Visual Voicemail working on mine. I'd imagine it grabbed the new carrier settings when it reactivated the phone.

Just a guess, but it worked for me.

jspec_sti
5th June 2009, 11:49 PM
great little option and certainly works well!

ps. I had to reboot to get it aswell...

Joey1983
7th June 2009, 11:43 PM
Aye, to anyone that still doesn't have Visual Voicemail, chances are they pushed out the new carrier settings but your handset didn't receive them. It may seem like an inconvenience so you may wish to wait for iPhone 3.0 anyway, but restoring the phone managed to get Visual Voicemail working on mine. I'd imagine it grabbed the new carrier settings when it reactivated the phone.

Just a guess, but it worked for me.

Mine's still not working, I'll wait till tuesday to see what's happening with 3.0 before resorting to a restore.

Anyone else out there that hasn't got it working yet, or am I just lucky?

macarena
10th June 2009, 08:09 AM
Restore worked for me.

morgs
10th June 2009, 08:38 AM
What about Dev-Team unlock restores? Have people had success with doing those and then getting VV?

Mine has still not come online yet.

Joey1983
10th June 2009, 03:48 PM
Just a heads up for anyone that hasn't got it yet.

I just called them and spoke to iPhone support, he had a look at my account and said that VVM needed to be manually activated on their end. He has sent the request to the dept that does this and it should be active for me within 2 - 3 hours.
Will report back to confirm it works.

Meanwhile if you haven't got it yet, call them and get them to activate it.

Cheers.

qf380
10th June 2009, 03:51 PM
I just updated to 3.0 and once the restore had finished i got a VVM from last thursday come through. So it works now, after i rang then (aka lara) and they must have done something

Janty
12th June 2009, 01:23 PM
Just in case anyone any one is running 3.0 and have uploaded the vodafone ipcc file and visual voice is not working, just make in settings the visual voice is not set to live.vodafone.com cause it wont work as i have found out.
mine now works with vfinternet.au settings.

Where do you find the visual voicemail settings??

superfly
12th June 2009, 01:43 PM
I was on the phone to Vodafone customer support on Wednesday morning, I was told to call an automated voicemail activiation number (like 1217 or something), I did this and was told the service was not operational. The original operator I spoke to told me that my account/phone number would be logged and if visual voicemail wasn't fixed by calling 1217 - that the case would be logged for later in the day with a technician.

Later than day I installed the 3.0 Golden Master, and it worked straight away. Can't tell for sure which one fixed it, but I believe it was the new software to got it working.

johnq
12th June 2009, 02:19 PM
FYI.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 2G on 2.2.1. After a restore/re-jailbreak Visual Voicemail worked fine - for a few days. It then stopped working and I needed a reboot (Hold Power and Select key, see the power off message BUT KEEP HOLDING BOTH BUTTONS, wait for the Apple (or pineapple), let go and wait). Since the reboot things seem fine again.

Joey1983
12th June 2009, 05:39 PM
Mine's still not working :(

Later than day I installed the 3.0 Golden Master, and it worked straight away.

Did you restore from back up?

After a restore/re-jailbreak Visual Voicemail worked fine

Looks like a restore is the only way to get it working. Will I loose anything from restoring from back up?

qf380
12th June 2009, 05:51 PM
VVM wasnt working for me on 2.2.1, but as soon as i got 3.0 it started working. Odd.

And i restored from a backup.

shivstar
12th June 2009, 10:33 PM
Looks like a restore is the only way to get it working. Will I loose anything from restoring from back up?

No, your iPhone should be set exactly how it was when you lasted backed up.

Just a tip: delete your current back up that is on iTunes first (iTunes Preferences > Devices) and then connect you're iPhone and do a fresh back up. The last time I restored from a back up I lost a few days text messages and call data even though I had "backed up" my iPhone a few hours before using just the "sync" function. Everything else was up to date, I just think iTunes misses information like that in the quick normal syncing backups in order to speed up backing up times.

Tom125
12th June 2009, 10:58 PM
No, your iPhone should be set exactly how it was when you lasted backed up.

Although my icons always move around when I do that, which is annoying.

Anyway, a restore from iTunes did the trick and VVM is working nicely. The messages are only kept for about 5 days which is a bit annoying - so you can't rely on them being there forever if you don't note down the important info!

shivstar
12th June 2009, 11:03 PM
The messages are only kept for about 5 days which is a bit annoying - so you can't rely on them being there forever if you don't note down the important info!

Thats strange... when I do a restore from a fresh back-up all my old messages are still there, even ones from when I first got my iPhone.

DazR6
12th June 2009, 11:15 PM
Today I had people asking me did I get there message, I said no when did you leave it? Yesterday they said. Then late today around 5pm 6 messages appeared. Very strange, I'm with Vodafone did anyone else have this happen?

bassmanbliss
13th June 2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah I had about a 5 hour delay yesterday with VVM. I got all these messages after I had already seen the people that left them haha.

Tom125
13th June 2009, 11:16 AM
Thats strange... when I do a restore from a fresh back-up all my old messages are still there, even ones from when I first got my iPhone.

I meant the Visual Voicemail messages on Vodafone - they just disappear after 5 days or so.

DazR6
13th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Now what happens is I delete old messages and there gone (I delete all the messages in the deleted folder) then when I get a new message the old ones keep reappearing. Works well! NOT! This has happened 3 times now.

Joey1983
13th June 2009, 09:46 PM
Well I did a full restore, restored from back up, waited for everything to re-sync (took forever...) VVM still not working :mad:

Called 1217 from my phone, said that VVM has been set to notify me when new messages appear. checked it, still not working :mad::mad:

Re-Booted, still not working :mad::mad::mad:

Walked away for a while and came back and did another Re-Boot, still nothing.
Then a few minutes later I got a notification that I had new messages, checked it and it works :crazy1:

Don't know what part of all that got it working but it now works, FINALLY!!!

morgs
15th June 2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe you can help me understand...

Am I correct that VVM doesn't work over WiFi? If so how do I enable data on my Pwned 1st Gen iPhone? And should I bother, cause once I enable data won't it try checking my emails and using the data all the time? Thanks

Lutze
15th June 2009, 03:46 PM
Maybe you can help me understand...

Am I correct that VVM doesn't work over WiFi? If so how do I enable data on my Pwned 1st Gen iPhone? And should I bother, cause once I enable data won't it try checking my emails and using the data all the time? Thanks

On telstra it's easy (i have v1 iPhone) i'm on pay as you go (or prepay) I bought a 100mb data pack for $10.

My iPhone has the following > Settings > General > Network > Cellular Data > APN > telstra.iph

You can turn off how often your iphone checks mail to be manual.

Joey1983
18th June 2009, 10:28 PM
OK, I'm not getting any new messages in VVM!!!

I call 121 and I have a shit load of new messages but they don't show up in VVM, called Vodafone and they told me to reset my network settings, re-boot the phone, call 1217 then leave myself a message from another phone. still nothing.

Is anyone else having problems or am I just lucky...

cmanou
20th June 2009, 06:37 PM
i havent had any luck still. im on prepay but it wont download new messages

Joey1983
27th June 2009, 10:20 AM
Well finally got it working perfectly on my new 3GS, I started fresh with the new phone (didn't restore from back up). Also I've set up my old 3G for my wife, fresh install of 3.0 and VVM is working for her too.

So there was obviously something in my old back up that VVM didn't like?

Loving it so far, very cool :)

Mongrel
29th June 2009, 09:03 PM
Well I just found out about VVM today - Yep I have been living under a rock! :p

AND

I just tried to activate it using 1217 and I get a message from Lara saying that VoiceMail was unable to process my request - please try again later.

What's with that??

morgs
29th June 2009, 09:12 PM
Well I just found out about VVM today - Yep I have been living under a rock! :p

AND

I just tried to activate it using 1217 and I get a message from Lara saying that VoiceMail was unable to process my request - please try again later.

What's with that??

It could either be that you are on a jailbroken iPhone and you might need to run that process again and restore as this worked for me. But if you are on a legit iPhone with Vodafone then you will need to call them to see what is wrong.

Mongrel
29th June 2009, 09:21 PM
It could either be that you are on a jailbroken iPhone and you might need to run that process again and restore as this worked for me. But if you are on a legit iPhone with Vodafone then you will need to call them to see what is wrong.

Yes mate - I am on a legitimate phone.

I upgraded to the new OS the day it was released.

looks like I will have to call them tomorrow. GRR!!:angry:

adamerr
30th June 2009, 01:41 AM
I get a message from Lara

:eek:
Jealous

At least you have that.
Optus gives me a pretty automated voice.
:(

Goodbye
30th June 2009, 08:39 AM
I called a couple of times from two different phones to my iPhone, and I got the visual voicemail messages fine.

Mongrel
30th June 2009, 10:07 AM
Well I called them this morning and a lady told me that she will activate it on my phone. She told me to wait for 10 minutes and do a "Network Settings" reset... which I did, and now it is working perfectly!!

THANK YOU VODA!!!