PDA

View Full Version : Optus Solutions and iPhone Replacement

teamshaw
25th May 2009, 11:23 PM
Hi

I managed to get out of my 24 month contract 9 months early and get a free upgrade to an iPhone plan with Optus on Saturday :). I had to call the Optus Solutions number, it is probably a good first start for you guys hoping to get a free upgrade to the new iPhone 'if' it gets released soon. The direct number is 1300 555 241.

Also, as it seems likely a new model will be released very soon, what do you think my chances are of getting a new model if it comes out within a month of me getting the current model. Apple does this for other hardware don't they?

Cheers
Ben

forno
26th May 2009, 08:01 AM
Apple have nothing to do with your contract with Optus, and the answer I reckon would be no

Exocet
26th May 2009, 08:13 AM
Sure, sell your current iPhone on eBay and pay the difference to the new one.

Devil rolla
26th May 2009, 09:02 AM
what did you say to get the upgrade ?

bosc0
26th May 2009, 09:25 AM
^ i would like to know this too.

tcn33
26th May 2009, 09:39 AM
I assume you all realise that

a) this upgrade you're talking about involves a new contract, with handset repayments etc,

b) if there are new iPhone plans that come in the next couple of months, you won't be able to change over to them without paying to get out of that contract, and

c) you can't have two sets of handset repayments on one service number, so you'd have to pay out the handset repayments as well (and that's assuming they will even allow that, something I wouldn't take as a certainty).

Right now, with new iPhones around the corner, is the last time I would be signing any new contracts.

teamshaw
26th May 2009, 05:47 PM
what did you say to get the upgrade ?

I just told them that I have been a customer for 10 years and would be switching to Telstra when the new iPhone came out if they made me pay out the contract.

I knew that new iPhones are most probably just around the corner, however I thought that my chances of getting the fees waived might be better now when they are trying to get rid of the current models, and when there isn't a heap of other people trying for a free upgrade a year into their current iPhone contract.

I'm satisfied with the current gen, there would have to be a fair few surprises in the new model to make me really want that one over the current one.

Exocet
26th May 2009, 06:09 PM
You chose to go back with Optus? Brave.