PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Beeping. Argh!

jackrayers
24th May 2009, 05:38 PM
So my macbook has just reached the end of its warranty maybe two weeks back, and guess what, it's started randomly beeping at me.

The beeps come usually in groups of three, a few seconds apart, the video attached has two as I could only press record after I heard the first one.

The beeps also come from the speakers or headphones (if plugged in) they react to system volume (ie if volume is on full they are loud, if its on mute they do not occur).

The beeps don't seem to be coming from a particular application (they occur when different apps are open)

The video:
Video!!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bo_F_ga2vw)

So mactalkers, maybe you can help, what is this mysterious beeping and what does it mean?

Jack

new_life_media
24th May 2009, 05:43 PM
It sounds like it's detecting an enemy submarine!

Sorry, not helpful, but an interesting anomaly.

jackrayers
24th May 2009, 05:47 PM
Haha, a likely possibility I feel :P

ClockWork
24th May 2009, 05:48 PM
Really and truly uncertain... but I'd be backing up my data like... now!

jackrayers
24th May 2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah just about to grab an external hard drive. had to happen just after my warranty expires.

Back2Bedlam
24th May 2009, 05:53 PM
Logic Board mate... time to go shopping!

ClockWork
24th May 2009, 06:05 PM
Back up first - then reboot the MacBook off your Leopard Installer DVD, by inserting it, and Restarting with the C key on your keyboard held down, until you see the grey Apple logo and the grey spinning mill.

The first page will ask you which language you use, which is English by default, so just hit your return key.

The next window is the Installer. Utterly ignore all of that and click once on the to center-ish menu item named: Utilities and scroll down to: Disk Utility.

In the Disk Utility window, on the left pane of the window, click once on your MacBook Hard Drive to select it and then click once on far right Verify Disk button.

My suspicion is that the beeps may be either an HD alert, or may even be the HD itself...

Record any anonomolies presented to you in the Disk Utility Window - be they Verifying Disk / Repairing Disk / Verifying Disk Permissions / Repairing Disk Permissions.

To get out, click on top-left menu item: Disk Utility and scroll down to Quit Disk Utility, and then click on top-left menu item: Installer and scroll down to: Quit Installer - and then click the Restart button.

Report back...

jackrayers
24th May 2009, 06:06 PM
seems strange for the logic board to be broken\about to break but the computer to still be working fine.

ClockWork
24th May 2009, 06:11 PM
It seemed strange when Uncle Harry was sitting there, drinking a beer and laughing and talking about some crack whore he'd diddled in the Cross one night... and then quite suddenly dropped dead in his armchair...

Back2Bedlam
24th May 2009, 06:13 PM
it's the 3 beeps that gives it away, that's the sound the logic board makes when it's 'F*%&@

supertomtom
24th May 2009, 06:48 PM
Wow, and I thought I was the only one. I came on this board looking cuz my macbook also just started having this noise yesterday. Doesn't happen all the time, happened once yesterday and happened again today. Both when I was surfing the net. Didn't notice it any other time.

iCarllovesapple
24th May 2009, 07:39 PM
Call Apple. They may feel sorry for you and fix the issue seen as though it's only 2 weeks out of warranty! Just sweet talk the girl. It has happened before!

choy
24th May 2009, 07:45 PM
see:
YouTube - Macbook beeping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44_BdwI9jM)

and:

MacBook - MacBook beeps 3 short 3 long 3 short, repeats continuously - Mac-Forums.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/90575-macbook-beeps-3-short-3-long-3-short-repeats-continuously.html)

jackrayers
24th May 2009, 08:10 PM
see:
YouTube - Macbook beeping (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X44_BdwI9jM)

and:

MacBook - MacBook beeps 3 short 3 long 3 short, repeats continuously - Mac-Forums.com (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/90575-macbook-beeps-3-short-3-long-3-short-repeats-continuously.html)

First one's a very different type of sound.

Second one says it will not boot, mine is working fine, just emitting these noises every so often.

Will do a Disk Utility check as soon as I can.

ClockWork
24th May 2009, 08:23 PM
it's the 3 beeps that gives it away, that's the sound the logic board makes when it's 'F*%&@

I think Bedlam's got it right in your case though...

Monday morning - call Apple. No delays.

good luck

Boney_Ahem
24th May 2009, 08:26 PM
Bad RAM can contribute to computer Beeps ... you can use Rember (http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/) to check/test your Macbooks RAM.

I know that you have said that the volume of the beeps changes with your Macbooks volume control ... but ... I thought I'd mention that some Mac beeps have been attributed to mobiles sitting in close proximity to the users mac.

Back up your important data without haste ...

Babbage
24th May 2009, 08:46 PM
1. Ensure you have backed up
2. Check log files using console for ""strange" activity coinciding with these beeps
3. Ditto with Activity Monitor
4. Repair permissions
5. Solved?
6. Trash/backup prefs folder
7. Solved?
8. Reinstall OS
9. Solved?
10. Call Apple. As your are only two weeks out of warranty you have a compelling ex-gratia case.

Logic boards can make either a swift and ugly, or slow and serene descent into oblivion. It not being happy and still working doesn't mean it won't deteriorate.

Best of luck, etc. Let us know how you go or if you get stuck.

chaosboi
24th May 2009, 08:56 PM
Hmm, my MacBook starting beeping yesterday as well!!..
Conspiracy?
I'm checking the RAM now.

iCarllovesapple
25th May 2009, 12:18 AM
Guys, if it is the RAM, this is the least of your worries. You can even replace the ram yourselves. I have used 'TechTool Deluxe' in the past. I do believe that this is only regularly available for Macs with Apple Care, but if you have a friend that has got the Apple Care box, take the CD and install it on your Mac. This runs through all of the possible components on your Mac. I find this application extremely handy, and I highly recommend it!

Beau
25th May 2009, 12:23 AM
I do believe that this is only regularly available for Macs with Apple Care
Err, what?

NeoRicen
25th May 2009, 12:26 AM
Sure it's not that fucking commonwealth bank ad?

90% sure that's what it is, same sound. Next time it happens, check your browser, if there's an ad with something about barcode scanning, that's it.

EDIT: After listening again, I'm pretty damn sure it's just a banner ad.

It explains all the symptoms.

EDIT 2: Randomly checking all the sites I think I heard it on so I can film it, Internet seems to think I want a car (Audi, Subaru, NRMA, Car Finder & Mercedes ads! WTF!). :confused:

Brains
25th May 2009, 06:57 AM
To test NeoRicen's theory, download install the free prefpane Diablotin (http://s.sudre.free.fr/Software/Diablotin.html) and use it to turn off all Flash and Shockwave plugins. Restart the Mac, then go visit your normal websites over the next day or two. If you still hear beeps, you have hardware problems. If you don't hear beeps, its a rogue Flash advert.

chaosboi
25th May 2009, 08:34 AM
Sure it's not that fucking commonwealth bank ad?

90% sure that's what it is, same sound. Next time it happens, check your browser, if there's an ad with something about barcode scanning, that's it.

EDIT: After listening again, I'm pretty damn sure it's just a banner ad.

There was a banner add with a barcode when I heard the beeps as well, and that would explain 3 people so far with the beeps!.

macarena
25th May 2009, 09:26 AM
Got the random beeps as well. I do recall a banner ad yesterday that had bar codes floating right to left.

dolbinau
25th May 2009, 09:49 AM
I also got beeps yesterday/today :P.

Vatoe
25th May 2009, 09:51 AM
it's the ad people....

jackrayers
25th May 2009, 04:25 PM
well I feel like an idiot now. thanks anyway to all of you that offered suggestions.

I was kinda hoping i would "have" to get a new macbook :P

decryption
25th May 2009, 04:28 PM
That same ad annoyed the shit out of me too.

NathR32
25th May 2009, 04:43 PM
Aahh so this is why I had a few random loud beeps yesterday ...

n20nine
25th May 2009, 05:28 PM
Well I had random beepings as well, I thought something was wrong with my macbook... quit safari and it stopped.. Damn those ads.. Gave me a shock.

Geoff3DMN
25th May 2009, 05:32 PM
Yup, I was wondering what the hell was going on... it was a banner ad on ebay causing it.

Made me wonder WTF for a few minutes too, it wasn't until I opened the tab with the advert and noticed the timing of the beeps coincided with the graphics in the banner advert that I clicked.

ClockWork
25th May 2009, 06:29 PM
well... where are my damn banner ads???
why don't I suffer from get any banner ads?

I want my bleeding banner ads!

takamine
25th May 2009, 06:55 PM
Same here. I was wondering what was causing it. Thought it was a virus or something. Strange how people have only started noticing it at around the same time frame.

Boney_Ahem
25th May 2009, 07:21 PM
I was blissfully unaware of the beepin' ad problem (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=beeping+banner+ads&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8), possibly due to my using Pithhelmet .... dunno??

ClockWork
25th May 2009, 07:27 PM
I don't have the pith on... or the... pith... off...

Brains
25th May 2009, 11:32 PM
Folks, once you identify the advert, I strongly suggest that you write to the company concerned and tell them that "your advert just cost me two hundred dollars for a technician to look at your computer because I thought it was going to explode because it making all these error beeps, and could you please refund me?"

:p