PDA

View Full Version : I sync my iPhone with 2 Macs, so which do I restore from?

ParanoidAndroid
24th May 2009, 04:51 PM
I sync my iPhone contacts and bookmarks with my laptop and my music/videos/ringtones/apps with my desktop Mac.

Both machines do backups of the iPhones when I sync, and that's where I'm confused. Could I safely restore the iPhone from either machine as long as neither has changed since the last sync?

Is there anything I need to know in regards to backups/restoring when I sync with multiple machines like this.

Back2Bedlam
24th May 2009, 04:54 PM
Do you have MobileMe? If you do, it won't matter which you sync the contacts and bookmarks with, as your music (by what you've said) is only on your desktop, then you'll need to sync with that computer.

Although, if you are syncing on both, your itunes library might be the same!

ParanoidAndroid
24th May 2009, 05:07 PM
Do you have MobileMe? If you do, it won't matter which you sync the contacts and bookmarks with, as your music (by what you've said) is only on your desktop, then you'll need to sync with that computer.

Although, if you are syncing on both, your itunes library might be the same!

Nope I don't use MobileMe. When I sync with the laptop I actually sync with data stored on the laptop (Safari and Address Book).

mestevie
24th May 2009, 05:10 PM
I have had my iPhone replaced twice under warranty, so I have had to do this a couple of times.

On my work PC laptop I sync outlook contacts and calendar and iTunes does a full backup.

On my home Mac I sync podcasts, videos and music, and it too does a backup.

When I got my new phone, I plugged it in to each computer and, as iTunes was still set up in the same way on each, each knew what to restore - ie PC iTunes restored my outlook stuff from PC iTunes and Mac iTunes restored music/podcast/video from my Mac iTunes.

Good Luck!

ParanoidAndroid
24th May 2009, 05:41 PM
I have had my iPhone replaced twice under warranty, so I have had to do this a couple of times.

On my work PC laptop I sync outlook contacts and calendar and iTunes does a full backup.

On my home Mac I sync podcasts, videos and music, and it too does a backup.

When I got my new phone, I plugged it in to each computer and, as iTunes was still set up in the same way on each, each knew what to restore - ie PC iTunes restored my outlook stuff from PC iTunes and Mac iTunes restored music/podcast/video from my Mac iTunes.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the info. My forth iPhone arrives this week as a warranty replacement. So on each computer you restored? Not just synced? i.e. on each machine you chose the option to restore from a backup [with the other (unchosen) option being setup as a new iPhone]?

I'm just not understanding how that would be the way to go since music/podcast/video aren't stored in the backup anyway. I was thinking that I could restore from either machine as the backup file would hold the contacts/bookmarks even though they only existed in Address Book and Safari on one machine.

mestevie
24th May 2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. My forth iPhone arrives this week as a warranty replacement. So on each computer you restored? Not just synced? i.e. on each machine you chose the option to restore from a backup [with the other (unchosen) option being setup as a new iPhone]?

I'm just not understanding how that would be the way to go since music/podcast/video aren't stored in the backup anyway. I was thinking that I could restore from either machine as the backup file would hold the contacts/bookmarks even though they only existed in Address Book and Safari on one machine.

Whichever machine you plug into first, you will restore. On the second machine you will sync.

In my case, I restored to get my outlook stuff back (very important for me), and then this caused my phone to be recognised by the second machine, so therefore, restore was not an option. Make sense?

ParanoidAndroid
24th May 2009, 05:57 PM
Whichever machine you plug into first, you will restore. On the second machine you will sync.

In my case, I restored to get my outlook stuff back (very important for me), and then this caused my phone to be recognised by the second machine, so therefore, restore was not an option. Make sense?

Thanks, that clarifies things and confirms what I was thinking. When the new phone arrives I'll restore on the laptop and then sync the media on the desktop.

Thanks again :)

mestevie
24th May 2009, 06:04 PM
Best of Luck. Fourth Phone!!! I though I was having bad run.

Phone 1: screen dimple
Phone 2: WiFi stopped working
Phone 3: Going strong...but only 3 months of warranty left...:-)

Apple should be doing better

ParanoidAndroid
24th May 2009, 06:11 PM
FYI Their policy is that your fourth replacement is a brand new boxed phone (not a refurb), delivered to your door.