PDA

View Full Version : Data use when playing Sudoku?

johnonetrillion
22nd May 2009, 02:53 PM
Is there any way that my iPhone could be using 3G data while I am playing the popular Sudoku (free) game? (The one from Might Mighty Good Games.)

Reason I ask is, my Telstra Data Pack use is showing spikes in data use, even when I am at home and supposedly connected via WiFi, when playing Sudoku.

supermariobothers
22nd May 2009, 03:08 PM
Can't see how that would be possible, I run the same app, without the same problem?? Hopefully a more iphone knowledagble forum member can shed some light on exactly what's happening here.

banjo
23rd May 2009, 10:56 AM
It's not ad-supported, so I'm not sure. How much data does it say you're using?

johnonetrillion
23rd May 2009, 11:11 AM
It's not ad-supported, so I'm not sure. How much data does it say you're using?

Telstra data shows:

3,587Kb in a 70 minute session. Can't be right.

supermariobothers
23rd May 2009, 11:15 AM
Forgive me if my maths is wrong but i'm pretty sure 3,500Kb = roughly 3.5 Mb, give or take a few Kb. Which is relatively nothing.

What your data allowance with telstra?

johnonetrillion
23rd May 2009, 11:23 AM
The maths is correct. I have just a 5Mb monthly allowance. I pretty much never use it, since I have WiFi at home and office. (Only the occasional www use when 'out of bounds'.)

Bought the phone the weekend they were released last year, and have never gone over that allowance.

So, using 3.5Mb in one session playing Sudoku would seem ridiculous.

supermariobothers
23rd May 2009, 11:27 AM
Yeah, I see why you would be concerned. Can't think of why the app would be sending any data... Maybe the phone has some other background operation running? mail, or something like that? hopefully banjo can offer some more insight?

The_Hawk
23rd May 2009, 11:50 AM
The wifes phone uses a little 3G everyday, even though it's connected via wireless. I'm guessing it grabs a little 3G, then see's the wifi network instead. still it's 2/5th of bugger all, so it's all good for us.

banjo
23rd May 2009, 12:10 PM
If it was any other platform I would imagine it might be phoning home to check for updates or something more sinister, but since all updates are handled by the phone itself that makes no sense.

SMB (supermariobrothers) might be more on the issue with Mail working in the background. Perhaps Sudoku is somehow preventing the phone from using the wifi for this function so it reverts to using 3G.

Anyway, I tend to leave 3G off unless I'm out and about and using it to browse the net then turn it off when I'm done. Mail Push still works over the slower Edge network so you can still receive those notifications even with 3G off and no wi-fi network (though you would need to turn it on to actually download the mail, if it's more than a few KBs in size).

johnonetrillion
4th June 2009, 02:07 PM
I did some testing on this.

Mighty Mighty Good Games did not reply to email enquiries.

Turns out the free version of the game has banner ads. And they get refreshed every 30 seconds or so. Even while the game is playing, they see to refresh in the background.

Maybe the paid version has no ads.

Problem solved, me thinks.

Thanks for all the input.