PDA

View Full Version : DLNA Server to stream to TV

injidup
22nd May 2009, 01:50 PM
My new tv has the ability to receive media streams from a DlNA server.
Does anyone have a recommendation for a server? I'll use it for movie files and music (from iTunes).

Does ps3MediaServer work with devices other than PS3 - ieisit just a DLNA server or is it PS3 specific?

Thanks,
Kev

Cybix
22nd May 2009, 03:29 PM
twonkymedia.

unsure about the ps3mediaserver. I know it's good for PS3's...

choy
22nd May 2009, 11:14 PM
even Vuze (formerly azureus) will stream to DLNA nowadays.

injidup
23rd May 2009, 08:23 PM
I'm now trying out ElGato's EyeConnect. It seems to work well with my media, including EyeTV recordings and makes a better job of displaying iPhoto images than Twonky.

Whether I buy any of them at the end of the demo period remains to be seen! I may just cough up for the small AppleTV.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Kev

morris.levy
26th May 2009, 02:07 AM
If you're looking for DLNA Certified Networked Attached Storage Digital Media Servers...

Home - DLNA (http://www.dlna.org)

Personally, I recommend EMC-Iomega ix2 or Cisco LinkSys MediaHUB. They support multiple media profiles, and should be very interoperable with your TV.

P.S. The PS3 is DLNA HNv1.0 Certified. That means it should play/serve digital content such as your JPEGs, LPCM, MP3, and MPEG_PS_NTSC and MPEG_PS_PAL. Again, check out Home - DLNA (http://www.dlna.org). It should have more than enough information. :)

entropy
18th June 2009, 09:47 PM
So has anyone got one of those Samsung LCD TVs with DLNA wireless and see if it can work directly with their mac through a wifi router using something like twonky or eyeconnect?

myattb
2nd July 2009, 01:31 AM
I have a Samsung LE37B650 but can't get Elgato EyeConnect to work with it at all from my MBP (unibody).
I have been told by Samsung to try Twonky so that is what I am doing tonight!

Febs
7th July 2009, 01:47 AM
My post from here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/23/54039-medialink-alternatives.html):

OK, so initial thoughts are that they're all very easy to setup. That's about where the similarities end though.

Playback ($15USD
Rubbish. Constantly caused my PS3 to crash, which the others didn't do.

MediaLink
No crashes, but bugs (skip to the next song, it still displays the current song info) and very slow to load photos. Also, appears not to have any form of access control. I don't know about you guys, but I'm not too keen on my neighbours seeing every photos I've taken over the last 12+ years...

EyeConnect
Had the potential to be brilliant! VERY quick with loading photos (very important to me), actually has nested iPhoto albums (even more important to me) unlike MediaLink which just displays every album in one big list...but...it won't play any music! AAC files which played fine through MediaLink and Playback just won't play. UPNP error. Weird. I've restarted, played with Firewall settings etc...

Rivet
Same iPhoto concerns as MediaLink - no nested albums, and extremely slow.

So after my initial tests, the only one I'd really consider given the time of day to would be EyeConnect...if only I can figure out why it's not streaming music!

Cheers,
- Febs.

PS: In case anyone's wondering, I've got about 60% signal strength, and the PS3 seems incapable of smoothly playing an Mp4 encoded for the iPhone. To be expected though I guess.

injidup
7th July 2009, 02:13 PM
In the end I bought an AppleTV and hacked it!
More expensive, but a much snappier experience. And I don't need to have the Mac running to use it!

Antonino Giglio
16th July 2009, 08:43 AM
But what is teh diference between DLNA and normal WiFi?????
I'm confused...

Phunky
17th July 2009, 07:15 PM
Wifi refers to a wireless network
DLNA is a protocol which is used to stream media from one device to another. Can be done over wireless or cable

markhellewell
18th July 2009, 11:39 AM
Anyone know if I can get DLNA video to stream to my Bravia KDL-40W4500? Would be nice! Might have to transcode everything? So far I can only see pictures and music when browsing my Twonky server. Would just like to know if it's even possible before I expend energy trying to get it working.

kyte
26th July 2009, 03:36 PM
So has anyone got one of those Samsung LCD TVs with DLNA wireless and see if it can work directly with their mac through a wifi router using something like twonky or eyeconnect?

I've just got one a week ago (32" 100Hz Full HD LCD TV Series 6 32inch (LA32B650) - LCD TV - television | SAMSUNG (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LA32B650T1FXXY)). It finds eyeconnect and various folders but cant seem to see anything IN the folders (that is, no files which can be looked at). I know I have photographs in one of the folders but it wasn't able to see them. I'm now on the hunt for the solution.

Beau
26th July 2009, 04:19 PM
I've had the best luck with MediaLink out of PS3 Media Server, EyeConnect and Playback. Haven't tried out rivet yet.

kyte
26th July 2009, 10:54 PM
Further to my previous post, Eyeconnect (which seems to come standard with EyeTV) works beautifully. I was able to watch stuff I had recorded last night, instead of on the computer... on the TV. That said, I have a Topfield on the way so it wont matter much anymore. Still, its great that it all worked. Though I think it might have arrived via the router and the LAN cable rather than wirelessly.

ParanoidAndroid
7th March 2010, 10:22 AM
I've just got one a week ago (32" 100Hz Full HD LCD TV Series 6 32inch (LA32B650) - LCD TV - television | SAMSUNG (http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LA32B650T1FXXY)). It finds eyeconnect and various folders but cant seem to see anything IN the folders (that is, no files which can be looked at). I know I have photographs in one of the folders but it wasn't able to see them. I'm now on the hunt for the solution.

I've just bought the same TV (hasn't arrived yet) and I'm wondering if you found a solution? I've been searching for a DLNA server that will stream photos, music and movies to a Samsung TV, but it seems to be very much hit 'n' miss for Mac users.

kyte
7th March 2010, 04:51 PM
I've just bought the same TV (hasn't arrived yet) and I'm wondering if you found a solution? I've been searching for a DLNA server that will stream photos, music and movies to a Samsung TV, but it seems to be very much hit 'n' miss for Mac users.

No, not really. Whatever happened as a result of my previous post... was once and once only. I don't recall if I had the ethernet cable connected at the time.

I might give twonkymedia a try, Interestingly, having spent hundreds on a you-beaut superduper topfield pvr, I hardly ever use it. oh well.

plb
17th July 2010, 01:45 PM
After purchasing a new Samsung Series 8 TV mainly because it had DLNA I then spent around a month trying many different DLNA servers on my Mac mini. Pretty much all of them including Eye Connect, PS3 Media Server, Twonky etc all suffered the same issues, TV could see the Mac however movies were either reporting unsupported format or the movie would play but only for a few minutes. Needless to say this was extremely frustrating.

Solution: Use Vuze. It has a DLNA plugin. The interface is a little clunky but it is free and it works. Occasionally I hit a problem playing a movie but this is generally due to the audio codec embedded in the mkv container not being supported by the TV. I now stream 8-9GB HD (1080) movies via a cabled network to the TV without issue. Currently using Vuze 4.4.0.4.

Hope this helps

Jimbob1208
10th January 2011, 12:05 AM
I have been researching all over to find the best solution to stream media from PC to TV and have come to the following conclusion.

1. You need either a DNLA TV or a DNLA device connected to your TV such as an XBox or PS3.

2. You then need to use the above to fetch (stream) your media from either a) an DNLA Network Associated Server (NAS) or b) from your computer that has software installed on it that converts your PC in to a DNLA server.

The best and most hassle free solution seems to be to use a DNLA Network Associated Server to store all your media on.

This has several benefits as it is designed specifically to work with DNLA devices such as a PS3 or DNLA TV and it can connect directly to your router so that it exploits the maximum bandwidth.

The Linksys Media hub seems to be a good choice as you can also access all your files from anywhere in the world via the internet - Linksys by Cisco Media Hub (http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/promo/Media-Hub)

iGobbleoff
10th January 2011, 07:57 AM
i have 3 going at the moment, ps3mediaserver and vuze on the iMac, and fuppes running off the DroboFS

Vuze and ps3mediaserver run the best. Fuppes is hit and miss sometimes, its a bit temperamental

Bart Smastard
30th March 2011, 10:19 PM
Anyone tried Serviio (http://www.serviio.org/)?
I installed it tonight but getting the following Java error:

Cannot launch Java application
Uncaught exception in main method:
java.lang.AbstractMethodError: org.apache.xerces.dom.DeferredAttrNSImpl.getTextCo ntent()Ljava/lang/String;

I'm running OS 10.6.7 on a Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini with Java 1.6.0_24.

Bloody annoying and there doesn't seem to be any mention of this problem on the Serviio forums.

My other option is to try one of the other DLNA server managers like Twonky (it's a bit too late at night to start again from scratch - maybe tomorrow night). I chose Serviio because it was recommended on AVForums (http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-players/1405079-sony-bdp-s370-owners-thread-part-3-a.html) as it supposedly works well with the Sony BDP-S370 Bluray player I have.

UPDATE: Actually... I thought I'd give Vuze a quick try and 10 minutes after installing I was streaming a short video over to my Bluray player. Impressive.
Strangely though, DLNA only seems to be working over wireless, even though I have ethernet running from my ADSL2+ modem, to which my mini is also connected, to a Belkin N wireless router that I plug the bluray player into (I bought the router cheap, specifically for getting the player online. Originally I was going to just get a plain router but MLN (http://www.mln.com.au/product/?itemID=726&typeID=22) had this one for only $35 so I thought, what the hell, I'll upgrade to N spec; even though the mini is the only N device I currently have - and it's wired). Oh well, it works and the wireless card on my mini wasn't doing anything anyway ;)

kyte
31st March 2011, 01:14 PM
Anyone tried Serviio (http://www.serviio.org/)?
I installed it tonight but getting the following Java error:

Downloaded and will install and try later. For some reason I cannot get eyeconnect to work anymore, and I have NO idea why. Its been a fail every time since the one time it worked, a couple of years ago, but of a pest, have to sit at the computer to watch recorded TV (though even that is becoming defunct, now most channels have a watch-it-later option via the web).

Will look at Vuze, too...

[edit] Serviio is working fine. Well, that is, it installed fine and its talking to my Samsung TV but as with eueconnect, no files are showing up in folders. I have entered the correct directories for my movies and TV shows in the console but... nothing. it has lots of empty folders and thats all. I'll see if Vuze is any better once I drop some files into its library

[edit#2] yep, vuze working with no fuss.

[edit#3] and it manages to extract the salient bits from eyeTV recordings as well. I'm impressed.

kyte
3rd April 2011, 07:32 AM
I got Serviio working last night. I realised I was running it from an external drive and wondered if it would make a difference if it ran from the Applications folder on the main drive. It does. Works well from there. I still wish I could jb my appleTV. Might have another go today, nothing much to lose.

BS (oh dear) have you tried just reinstalling java? I've only ever got the regular updates from Apple, but I don't get that error you did, when starting Serviio up.

Angsty
6th April 2011, 05:12 PM
I got the Twonky Media Server from a WD NAS to connect to my Viera TV and play my content via the Veria Media Server last night.

I'm not certain the pcture quality was as good as what I was getting from Front Row via my Mini, but as I seem to have "broken" the audio going into my stereo from the Mini, I needed an alternate solution stat!

Ang

Bart Smastard
26th April 2011, 05:32 PM
Completely gave up on Serviio.
Kyte (or anyone else) did you get your music and photos to work with Vuze DLNA? My Sony BDP-370s only sees video files. I've tried putting mp3's and jpeg's in separate folders named Music and Pictures under the Vuze downloads folder (user/Documents/Vuze Downloads/) but the Sony says the files aren't readable.

kyte
26th April 2011, 06:17 PM
TBH I didn't even try. I'm not that interested in streaming the music because I have my iphone plugged into an external system in the same room when at home, and i just didnt bother with photographs. In the meantime I jailbroke the AppleTV and am running plex on that, the iphone and the ipad so vuze and serviio are now uninstalled.

Bart Smastard
26th April 2011, 06:21 PM
TBH I didn't even try. I'm not that interested in streaming the music because I have my iphone plugged into an external system in the same room when at home, and i just didnt bother with photographs. In the meantime I jailbroke the AppleTV and am running plex on that, the iphone and the ipad so vuze and serviio are now uninstalled.

Nice work. I was looking at ATV but ended up going for the Sony so I could play Bluray movies... Steve's big bag of hurt :)