PDA

View Full Version : Switching in style... PC -> Powerbook 15"

purana
16th June 2004, 12:07 PM
Hi,

Well I've long been a PC user, but last year got certified through my work to be a tech on Apple hardware. IN the process of doing it, totally liked OS X and thought would love to get a machine to run it someday, then I could just have all my mail on that and photos etc.. you know a nice get down to work machine. Maybe play games on the PC I still have.

I had planned on getting an emac, but then decided against it. Lucky for me new models came out and I didn't get caught out. Then thought, wow the powerbook is nice and the 12" is still within reach. So I planned on getting one of those before the year is out.

Then just last week I got a email via work with a special offer to my work who had people certified, and it also was sent to certain Apple parnters and developers in the community. They were saying we could get the old 1.25ghz superdrive Powerbook 15" which got replaced just last month by the new 1.5ghz models for a good price. It ended up being about what I would spend in 3-6 months time on a 12". Showed the wife and we both agreed it would be a good buy.

I spent the last few days thinking about it and still no closer to a decision. At which point the wife just decided for me.

I've since ordered a Powerbook 15" with superdrive (as I said the outgoing 1.25ghz model) and saved a good packet. I guess it pays to be a employee sometimes at certain companies who partner with other big places. Unfortunately I couldn't pay by cc, which means I will send off cheque etc tomorrow. Hopefully I will get my order number soon enough, but from what I guess I reckon I should have it this time next week. Kinda excited. As you can imagine.

This will be my first Apple. Guess I will need to hang out more and learn some new stuff. Pictures will come later next week just as soon as I have unpacked it and stuff.

Disko
16th June 2004, 12:14 PM
Well done iodine. My first mac was also a powerbook. I can't wait to see the pics on that one.

One thing: make sure you give the thing a thorough look over for scratches, dead pixels, and warping.

purana
16th June 2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Jun 16 2004, 12:14 PM
Well done iodine. My first mac was also a powerbook. I can't wait to see the pics on that one.

One thing: make sure you give the thing a thorough look over for scratches, dead pixels, and warping.
Yes pictures will come later next week, shame I have to wait a little longer. However a friend ordered his about 8:30am today and was advised he should have it on Friday. Be interesting to see if thats the case. From what I understand shouldnt be a huge wait. As they had stock of these babies before posting the announcement.

As to dead pixels, scratching and warping. I will give it the once over as they say. I'll do a few graphics of blue/red colours only and display them full screen to confirm no dead pixels etc. I'll also then place it on a flat surface to confirm its not warped. And last but not least will give it a good looking over.

I'd have to say I don't think I'll be buying much hardware for the rest of the year. And ironically this is probably the best machine I have owned to date. Always had clone PC's as I loved tinkering. Although my PC LCD is quite sweet. This unit should go well towards me attempting to pass the next lot of exams come the end of the year. Since we need to resit every 12 months :(

I'll be sure to post more to this thread as things happen.

LCGuy
16th June 2004, 01:01 PM
Nice machine! :D

decryption
16th June 2004, 01:11 PM
heh, my first OS X machine was a PowerMac G5 :D

cmetom
16th June 2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jun 16 2004, 02:11 PM
mine, a PowerMac G3.. you lucky lot.

congrats iodine.

purana
16th June 2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Jun 16 2004, 01:11 PM
hehe and I am aware of that G5 of yours.. I remember the story of the purchase...

purana
16th June 2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@Jun 16 2004, 01:40 PM
mine, a PowerMac G3.. you lucky lot.

congrats iodine.
hehe.. not lucky, just really broke now.. haha

LCGuy
16th June 2004, 02:28 PM
Mine was my iMac 333.

estoyloco
16th June 2004, 02:33 PM
hey is warping dead pixels and all that other crap really a reoccuring issue. Before i discovered the forums i had never heard of them and it made me paranoid.

I have owned 2 x 17" PB 1.33GHZ and latest 1.5 (my current)
1 15" 1GHZ superdrive PB
1x 12" iBook 500mhz (picked it up really really cheap)

and anyway i have never had a problem with any of them.

FINGERS CROSSED TOUCH WOOD etc etc..

In my experience all Apples stuff was awesome quality and the 3 year warranty is a big part in my purchase decision...

If someone offers to buy my PB i will upgrade to a G5.. anything that i should look out for when getting that? g5 = G5 tower not PB.

Thanks

purana
16th June 2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Jun 16 2004, 02:33 PM
hey is warping dead pixels and all that other crap really a reoccuring issue. Before i discovered the forums i had never heard of them and it made me paranoid.

I have owned 2 x 17" PB 1.33GHZ and latest 1.5 (my current)
1 15" 1GHZ superdrive PB
1x 12" iBook 500mhz (picked it up really really cheap)

and anyway i have never had a problem with any of them.

FINGERS CROSSED TOUCH WOOD etc etc..

In my experience all Apples stuff was awesome quality and the 3 year warranty is a big part in my purchase decision...

If someone offers to buy my PB i will upgrade to a G5.. anything that i should look out for when getting that? g5 = G5 tower not PB.

Thanks
I think applecare is a rort.. considering I don't want phone support... meanwhile you are aware that no longer do they offer 3 year warranty on edu purchases.. you get the standard 1 year.. unless of course you wish to purchase extra like normal ppl do.

I think they need to sell extra warranty minus the phone support, as personally I'd never use it. Just sooner get a few more years warranty.

estoyloco
16th June 2004, 05:44 PM
Well they did when i bought mine... mines on apple care until 2007 - yeh the phone service worthless, but the fact that it has a 3 year warranty for free (which usually costs $500) plus they give you a little bit more than 10% off, at the moment on a 17" PB you get $550 off RRP...

So i find it pretty good value.. it will be a bummer when they faze out the extended warranty and your right.. i wouldnt pay for it..

$500 is a rip off...

im just happy i got it... :D

Currawong
16th June 2004, 07:38 PM
There's a program you can get called Pixel Check that'll display pure red, green, blue and black so you can see if you have any dead ones.

purana
16th June 2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Currawong@Jun 16 2004, 07:38 PM
There's a program you can get called Pixel Check that'll display pure red, green, blue and black so you can see if you have any dead ones.
I'll have to snag it and check it out

Ozi
18th June 2004, 10:00 PM
heres the URL: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10793

its a nice simple program. :) I found that I dont have any stuck pixels. phew!

purana
19th June 2004, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Ozi@Jun 18 2004, 10:00 PM
heres the URL: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10793

its a nice simple program. :) I found that I dont have any stuck pixels. phew!
Thanks, will download now before bed.. machine should be here monday afternoon/evening.. it shipped after lunch on friday

purana
21st June 2004, 04:40 PM
It turns out my wife advised me about 3:30pm that the unit arrived via courier. So all I need now is to wait for her to come home from work.. only about 2 hours to go now..