PDA

View Full Version : Insurance crooks swindling iPhone buyers

Brains
20th May 2009, 07:01 PM
The News has published a story (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=815526) today warning potential iPhone buyers not to buy second-hand iPhones.

Insurance fraudsters are cashing in on Australia's iPhone fever, duping shoppers into buying second-hand phones before reporting them missing and picking up a new handset for free.

iPhone buyers lured by bargain deals soon find their prized purchase next to worthless as phone carriers block the handset from making or receiving any calls.

More sinister versions of the scheme — including one involving extortion — have emerged on Australian technology forum Whirlpool.

One duped buyer purchased an 8GB iPhone from an online marketplace for $550 in March, only to be told several days later by the seller that he had to pay an extra $150 or the phone would be blocked.

"I did not pay him because it [was] unreasonable and then after a few days, my phone's IMEI number was blocked," the buyer, who goes by the handle “Eucaesia”, said on Whirlpool.

Carriers use the IMEI number — a 15-digit code unique to the handset — to prevent phones from making or receiving calls when they are reported stolen.

Anyone who owns a mobile phone should record their IMEI number, which can be found by dialling *#06#

dekco
20th May 2009, 07:28 PM
what is this world coming to..............

appleUSisdevil
20th May 2009, 10:57 PM
I have lost 3 iPhones and you NEVER get them replaced free! But I have blocked all three and have vowed to chain mine to me so it never happens again. I hope no one has on sold my useless phones.

forno
21st May 2009, 07:52 AM
I have lost 3 iPhones and you NEVER get them replaced free! But I have blocked all three and have vowed to chain mine to me so it never happens again. I hope no one has on sold my useless phones.

LOL, so where did the money from buying 3 iPhones end up:p