PDA

View Full Version : Freeze On Restart/shutdown After 10.4.1 Install

lambs
11th June 2005, 12:05 AM
Installed 10.4 on my G4 iBook today, and then immediately did the 10.4.1 upgrade. Repaired permissions beforehand, plenty of disk space.

After 10.4 install it restarted normally and the 10.4.1 install went smoothly....or so it seemed. On restart it froze just after all the icons/menu bar/etc disappeared from the desk top. Mouse pointer is still present, but it just refused to go any further.....eventually had to hold down the power button to force a power down. Started it up again and no problems...until I went to shutdown and the same freeze occurred in the exact same way. In fact it's very repeatable and happens whether shutdown or restart is used. Machine is otherwise behaving normally.

I've tried repairing permissions again, but makes no difference.

Suggestions ?

TIA

lambs
18th June 2005, 09:57 PM
Found the solution to this problem - delete all items in the startup folder in the Library directory on the hard disk. iBook now shuts down and restarts happily again :)

Currawong
19th June 2005, 10:15 AM
What was in the StartupItems folder? Do you remember?

lambs
19th June 2005, 12:14 PM
Nothing important in terms of my needs - Logitech component was one thing, but i don't use their hardware anymore. Apparently if you have VPC installed prior to updating to Tiger (I didn't) that can cause the problem.

neilrobinson
19th June 2005, 12:24 PM
Kinda off topic (different version of OS) 10.3.8

If i shut my computer down leaving quark 6 open, quite often it wont shutdown - just sits their, wont time out etc. Also happens with some other programs every now and then (indesign about once a month) but it seems quark 6 is the main culprit ;)

neil