PDA

View Full Version : Using My iPhone in Spain

PC Programmer
19th May 2009, 10:43 PM
First let me say that as my name suggests, I'm a PC person but I bought an iPhone 3G a couple of months ago and I love it!

I live in the states and I will be visiting Spain in a few days and I plan on using my iPhone while I'm there. I plan on using it for 3 things:
1. Calling the US
2. eMail
3. Web surfing
I know I'll need to add international roaming to my plan for #1, but do I need to add the special data plan that AT&T wants to sell me for #2 and #3?

pat25d
20th May 2009, 12:27 AM
You would be better off with getting a SIM in europe.

Not sure about spain specifically, but we bought some dutch sims from Vodafone NED and for 30euro got unlimited data for the month and some calls too (i think)

PC Programmer
20th May 2009, 12:37 AM

Not sure about spain specifically, but we bought some dutch sims from Vodafone NED and for 30euro got unlimited data for the month and some calls too (i think)Thanks, I'll consider that.

kevinnugent
20th May 2009, 07:49 PM
First let me say that as my name suggests, I'm a PC person but I bought an iPhone 3G a couple of months ago and I love it!

I live in the states and I will be visiting Spain in a few days and I plan on using my iPhone while I'm there. I plan on using it for 3 things:
1. Calling the US
2. eMail
3. Web surfing
I know I'll need to add international roaming to my plan for #1, but do I need to add the special data plan that AT&T wants to sell me for #2 and #3?

Man, I would if you are planning on using data there. I always disable data whilst roaming and make sure I only use emails, surfing etc when there's a wifi hotspot around or the hotel has wifi.

If AT&T have a "all you can eat" data plan whilst roaming overseas then go for it! How much do they charge?

PC Programmer
21st May 2009, 12:15 AM
Let me show some ignorance here... When exactly do I "use data"?

Beau
21st May 2009, 12:24 AM

Not sure about spain specifically, but we bought some dutch sims from Vodafone NED and for 30euro got unlimited data for the month and some calls too (i think)

Except AT&T won't unlock it. Period.

Re: Data, anything that uses the internet. :p Downloading Maps, Checking Email, looking at the weather, browsing the web, pretty much anything that you look at.

PC Programmer
21st May 2009, 12:32 AM
Except AT&T won't unlock it. Period.

Re: Data, anything that uses the internet. :p Downloading Maps, Checking Email, looking at the weather, browsing the web, pretty much anything that you look at.Thanks. I guess then I must buy the data plan if I want to do anything worthwhile. Given the cost of the trip it's no big deal but I wanted to make sure I needed it. A final (and I'm sure a stupid) last question... Does it cost me any resources if for example I use the Night Stand app as my travel clock all night?

Beau
21st May 2009, 12:45 AM
Thanks. I guess then I must buy the data plan if I want to do anything worthwhile. Given the cost of the trip it's no big deal but I wanted to make sure I needed it. A final (and I'm sure a stupid) last question... Does it cost me any resources if for example I use the Night Stand app as my travel clock all night?
I haven't had any experience with Night Stand, but if all it is is a clock/alarm, it shouldn't be accessing the internet for any reason, and if it is (checking that it's a pirated version, or looking for updates/news), it won't be any more than a couple of KBs.

A quick Google search for data roaming rates shows that they do have some special packages for roaming (link (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp)), in regards to data. You'll most definitely want one of these, as it could be even more expensive if you just use the standard rate from your plan.

They also have an iPhone travel tips (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp) page, which could be a helpful read.

Probably the most helpful bit will be the Data Roaming toggle in settings.

To turn data roaming "ON/OFF", tap on Settings>General>Network>Data Roaming
You could ensure that it's set to off, and only turn it on when you want the internet (emails, browsing), and off when you don't require it (Night Stand, though again, I doubt it accesses the internet).

PC Programmer
21st May 2009, 12:50 AM
I haven't had any experience with Night Stand, but if all it is is a clock/alarm, it shouldn't be accessing the internet for any reason, and if it is (checking that it's a pirated version, or looking for updates/news), it won't be any more than a couple of KBs.

A quick Google search for data roaming rates shows that they do have some special packages for roaming (link (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/affordable-world-packages.jsp)), in regards to data. You'll most definitely want one of these, as it could be even more expensive if you just use the standard rate from your plan.

They also have an iPhone travel tips (http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/iphone-travel-tips.jsp) page, which could be a helpful read.

Probably the most helpful bit will be the Data Roaming toggle in settings.

You could ensure that it's set to off, and only turn it on when you want the internet (emails, browsing), and off when you don't require it (Night Stand, though again, I doubt it accesses the internet).Thanks very much. If this site had a "rate this post" link I'd give you one.