PDA

View Full Version : Portable Hds 100-200gb ?

Spud
10th June 2005, 10:04 PM
Hello
Can anyone recommend a good purchase for price and quality?

Thanks
S

Byrd
10th June 2005, 11:13 PM
Where to start? Have a search of the forums Spud, there will be heaps more info on this too.

The cheapest way is to make up your own, get a 2.5" or 3.5" drive and couple that with a cheap FW (+ USB combo drives seem to be most common now) case for $30 - 50. Clearlight and IceCube cases are pretty special but cost at least twice as much.

Otherwise, LaCie make nice external drives which aren't too pricey, along with Maxtor and Seagate for more generic designs.

JB

Spud
11th June 2005, 07:07 PM
Thanks JB

I'll look into your advice
Spotted a Seagate 160 Gb HD for $200 in Officeworks but your option is considerably cheaper
Thanks
Spud
Cool Dog !

pipsqeek
12th June 2005, 12:11 AM
Officeworks? $200? Geez!

Local Asian run PC shop... you'll probably find a 200GB hdd for about $175.

and just spend the money you saved, plus alittle more on top on a nice firewire case.

pipsqeek

the_OM
12th June 2005, 02:36 AM
Lacie drives are tops.
Although Maxtor has some pretty slick new drives out at the moment (been out for a while now actually)

mookybaws
12th June 2005, 10:42 AM
Hi,
my personal experience ( as an idiot ) leads me to consider that if you don't what you are doing , it can get messy.
Can I ask if anyone has an external firewire 3.5" HD case that works happily with Tiger (10.4.1) ?
I've gone the cheap external firewire HD for my mac-mini , and the cheapo case I got with my fresh 250G Seagate HD is not happy ,formatted once , but now always hangs and won't erase or refomat or partition , and it seems there aren't any drivers for tiger on the company's web site (they go up to 10.3). Right now I give in , and am prepared to wear the extra cost of a case that will work for my no-longer-quite-so-cheap HD. Any ideas for a case thats an idiot proof surefire winner ?
cheers

suryo
12th June 2005, 01:18 PM
If it's a Firewire case it should work perfectly all the time without requiring drivers on every version of Mac OS from 9 upwards. If it doesn't do this it is either faulty or non-compliant and you should return it.

I am aware that there are some dodgy cases out there, particularly those with Prolific chipsets, but really, if you buy a Firewire case and it doesn't work flawlessly I would consider it faulty. I have had mine plugged in most of the time for the last two years and there's never a problem with it - it's as reliable as an internal drive. It's just a no-name brand but the chipset is Oxford 911. If you can find anything with an Oxford chipset it would be worth getting.

Kildare
12th June 2005, 01:41 PM
I upgraded the 30GB HDD in my iBook & bought a $15 USB 2.0 caddy for it off eBay.
Took less than a minute to install & works great. :)
The thing I like about the 2.5" option is that you don't need external power - just the USB.
I think 2.5" drives are avaliable up to 160GB now.

My dad put a 120GB Seagate IDE HDD in some Yum-Cha external case & it had no problems working with my iBook over Firewire / USB.

Obviously the 3.5" option works out a bit cheaper though.

suryo
12th June 2005, 02:32 PM
The only problem with USB is that you can't boot from it which makes it somewhat less useful as a backup device. They are also somewhat slower in real life applications and utilise more system resources than Firewire does.

pipsqeek
12th June 2005, 05:48 PM
I keep a general rule with various interface connection types.

USB: Printers, Keyboards and other pointing devices.

Firewire: HDD's, Video, Artwork, Music work.

I follow these rules strictly. Can't afford a firewire drive... do without.. save up. I think USB is tragic.

pipsqeek

coastalcomputing
12th June 2005, 06:51 PM
Go with the Lacie if you are after a good warranty. No issues with replacements either

Kildare
12th June 2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jun 12 2005, 06:48 PM
I think USB is tragic.
I think USB v1.0/v1.1 is tragic.
USB v2.0 seems to be handle external HDD's fine.

Plus it tends to offer better cross compatibility with PCs as most don't come with Firewire as standard - although it is become more prominent.

Guess it depends on the usage & requirements really.

Inspired
12th June 2005, 10:34 PM
My lacie 250gb firewire porsche is awesome and the tech support and warranty is well worth its $325 price. Lets not forget that these drives were $500+ 18 months ago...

gmask1
12th June 2005, 11:54 PM
I have a Lacie drive also, a D2 Hard Drive Extreme 250Gb. Have been extremely happy with it thus far, and it integrates seamlessly with the Powerbook. There were drivers on the cd that apparently allow it to connect to a Windows machine (I believe it's formatted for Macs).