PDA

View Full Version : Screen won't turn on on Macbook Pro

new_life_media
18th May 2009, 10:55 AM
The LCD screen on my Macbook Pro doesn't seem to be turning on. I have restarted the laptop a few times, and the keyboard lights up and I get the bootup audio, but no image on the screen. I just had the HDD replaced about a month ago, so I am wondering whether it has something to do with that. To top it all of my warranty ended a month ago too. Any ideas?

DebB
18th May 2009, 11:56 AM
Could be the logic board - there are a few threads on here discussing similar problems if you want to search them out. My MBP did it recently. If it is, then some models are covered by extended warranty (luckily mine was) and it is a free repair! Get it checked out asap, and good luck!

dekco
18th May 2009, 12:36 PM
dont mean to be negative, but it can also be your LCD screen/controller that could have kicked the bucket. Unfortunately, screen + controller will not be covered under warranty.

timothyh
18th May 2009, 01:07 PM
Hi.
Just a thought: shine a bright light onto your screen - can you see 'ghost screen'?
If so, with a bright enough light you may be able to go to System Prefs>Displays>Display>Brightness, where you MAY find it has reset to zero. Adjust.

My MBP occasionally, for some unknown reason (maybe because it has the dodgy GeForce 8600M GT graphics chipset), resets brightness to Zero. It's a pain coz the cursor is so hard to see, but get up close and use a VERY bright light.

HTH, good luck,
Tim.

dekco
18th May 2009, 01:14 PM
a floodlight should be bright enough.

new_life_media
18th May 2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys. I think this is the issue:

MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377)

I took my Macbook Pro to the local Apple repair centre and they confirmed it was the graphics card. My machine was manufactured within the time period stated on the above link. I will get it back in 5 days, hopefully paid for by nVidia

iCarllovesapple
19th May 2009, 12:05 AM
I think it's the Logic board. While you still can, backup! Just do a complete Clone. Try plugging in an external display! Good Luck! :)