PDA

View Full Version : Help! Password Protected USB

BluMoon
18th May 2009, 09:44 AM
Hi All,

My girlfriend has a small problem today that we would love your help with...

She works for a government department who won't allow them to save anything except on a password protected USB drive (she is on a PC at work). She is trying to work from home today, but on plugging the USB stick into our iBook (G4 running Tiger) it won't read it - it comes up with an enclosing folder with some .exe files and a 'support' file. Get info shows the drive with a capacity of 5-odd mb when it is actually a larger drive than that (!). All she needs is to be able to enter the password and she is away, but it doesn't seem to want to let her...

If anyone has any insight into how to access the files that are actually on the drive it would be great. She really needs to access them and get some work done...

Thanks in advance!

decryption
18th May 2009, 09:47 AM
You need to get your hands on a Windows computer - the Mac won't launch the application to verify the password as it's a Windows app.

BluMoon
18th May 2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks Decryption. Just out of interest, if I had a new Intel mac, and it had a part of the drive that ran windows, would we be able to run the password protect program on that?

banjo
18th May 2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks Decryption. Just out of interest, if I had a new Intel mac, and it had a part of the drive that ran windows, would we be able to run the password protect program on that?

Yes.

BluMoon
18th May 2009, 10:34 AM
Gold, thanks for that - I thought so, just wanted to double check!

decryption
18th May 2009, 10:35 AM
Yes.

What he said :p

If you had an Intel Mac, you could load up Windows (either in a VM or boot camp) and then use that to read the files, then copy the files off the USB drive, into your Mac partition/file system.

You wouldn't be able to just launch the password app, unlock the USB key and use it in OS X - OS X still wont be able to read the encrypted drive. You need to unlock it in Windows, then copy the files off, unencrypted.

Phunky
18th May 2009, 01:00 PM
If they are using Truecrypt, you could download the Mac version and open the encrypted usb volume with it
If its proprietary software then this wont work

The_Hawk
18th May 2009, 02:28 PM
If they are using Truecrypt, you could download the Mac version and open the encrypted usb volume with it
If its proprietary software then this wont work

Truecrypt is most likely a far more secure option, but if your not already using it, most govt departments wont change that.