PDA

View Full Version : Safari Help Please

mishel
17th May 2009, 08:46 AM
Hi

I have been converted and bought my self an I Mac yesterday.
My problem is with how some webpages are displayed ,yahoo for example is tiny on my screen yahoo itself only takes up a 1/3 of the full screen and both sides of it are white it also happens on a lot of other sites i visit.
Is there a simple way to fix this its driving me crazy.
i downloaded firefox and it does the same thing.
I hope this makes sense and someone can help.

Thanks Michelle

David Turnedge
17th May 2009, 09:18 AM
Perhaps your new iMac has a much larger screen that you are used to (in terms of physical size or pixel resolution) and so you're viewing pages that are designed for smaller windows that do not rescale for larger window sizes.

mishel
17th May 2009, 09:48 AM
thanks for your reply .

I have the same size screen i had previously .
Some websites are the full screen size and others arn't so i have no idea its just a little frustrating as yahoo etc are very hard to read as the writing is so small.

Thanks mishel

Phunky
17th May 2009, 09:48 AM
The width of the yahoo page seems to be fixed

mishel
17th May 2009, 09:53 AM
not for me :(

maybe its something i will just have to put up with

wilko
17th May 2009, 09:55 AM
Just had a look at Yahoo on my 24" iMac and the size looks OK, easy to read font size, if maximising the window it will only take up about half the screen, Yahoo website will not resize to anything bigger.
Did you get a new iMac? 20" or 24"?

mishel
17th May 2009, 10:01 AM
i got the 24"
just made the window smaller and its not as bad .... maybe im just to used to my other puter :)

mishel
17th May 2009, 10:03 AM
on yahoo a lot of the links and words overlap if that makes sense?

ClockWork
17th May 2009, 10:07 AM
Try changing the screen resolution.

Click on the very top-left Apple Menu, and scroll down to: System Preferences...

In System Preferences, click once on: Displays - (looks like a light blue Apple Display screen).

In Displays, in the list of Resolutions, click once on ... let's say: 1280 x 960 - or something around that number. Then click once on the Show displays in menu bar check box to put a tick into it.

This will allow you to access this Display Preference from a small gray menu at the top right of your screen.

Then close System Preferences.

Perhaps if you alter the Screen Resolutions from Displays menu now, you'll find one that works for you.

wilko
17th May 2009, 10:08 AM
on yahoo a lot of the links and words overlap if that makes sense?

As mentoned, same screen size here and it looks OK, have you updated to the latest version of Safari(4) by any chance or are you running version 3?

I had a lot of issues with different websites running version 4.

mishel
17th May 2009, 10:14 AM
I cant thank you all enough i just changed the display settings and got a screen i can live with :)

out of curiosity how do you find out what version of safari i have?
Im a microsoft user from way back so this is all new to me .

wilko
17th May 2009, 10:16 AM
In Safari go to the Safari Menu and select About Safari this will tell you the version number.

Trabb
17th May 2009, 10:27 AM
When you open Safari (or any program, for that matter) click on its name in the menu bar up top... the first option is usually 'about ...' in this case 'about safari'. Click on that and it'll tell you the version number.

ClockWork
17th May 2009, 10:36 AM
In Safari go to the Safari Menu and select About Safari this will tell you the version number.

Yes - and this will work with any Application, so... let's say you're in Firefox and you want to see its version number, click on the menu item directly to the right of your Apple Menu (top-left of your screen) - named: Firefox and scroll down to: About Mozilla Firefox.

Firefox's Splash Screen will appear showing you its version number, and the same process goes for any Application you're running in the foreground.

That's universal in Mac OS X for just about any Application.

You can also do the same for your Apple Mac itself by clicking once on the Apple Menu - far top-left of your screen, and scrolling down to the very first item on the list: About This Mac, and a small window will appear where you can see and access all info about the machine you're running.

Trabb
17th May 2009, 10:51 AM
I like how our last three posts build nicely on each other. Info? more? LOTS MORE INFO!