PDA

View Full Version : Pocketmac Pro 3.51

Alessiman
10th June 2005, 03:31 PM
Being someone that tends to be an "early adopter" of technology I am fairly tolerent when it comes to the issues of being on the leading edge etc.

Tivo, Xbox Media Centre. God I even had the 1st "MP3 Player" a Diamond Rio (32meg!!) in the late 90's...

Anyway. About 3 years ago I had a chance to play with the original XDA phones running I think at the time WinCE 2002. Never really liked it and forgot about it. Then went through upgrad-itis and had a Nokia 6100, Siemens SL55, Nokia 7600, S.E S700i and have now got an XDA IIs

Love this one BTW. Especially being able to play DiVX movies on the train and tram. Also (if I ever get this working) syncing Itunes with the phone. I

Anyway, to the point of this post

I have had the misfortune of buying and using the biggest piece of shit software I have ever had the misfortune of using. This from someone that has worked in and around software development for nearly 16 years. Anyway I can't even being to tell you how bad it is.

Pocketmac Pro is meant to give you seemless integration b/w your mac and a WinCE device. On paper its great in that you can sync ical, itune, iphoto, files, adress book etc with it. All for "only" $US45 plus change

Problems

1.) Paying by paypal. They will accpet the money. But then not issue you with a licence key. I won't bother with cutting and pasting the next to useless tech support canned answers they send you but suffice to say after over a week they finally realised it was something at "there end" and manually sent me a serial

I am not off to a good start.... And its all down hill from here.

2.) Will not sync with iPhoto period! Everytime I try to have a file transfer it will say its synced but then nothing shows up on the PDA's side

3.) iTunes willl crash in the middle of the sync. So much so that the only way to exit is to force quit the application

4.) Doing above will mean that you can no longer see the PDA

5.) Shutting down will not work as the Mac now hangs unless you physically turn off the machine at the power switch

6.) Recurring events do not sync at all

7.) Address book modifications do not work. You end up with no name on the contacts list at the PDA!!

8.) Transferring any large file will hang the program

At about this point I have given up on it.

For anyone that is looking at buying a PDA the 02 XDA mini or IIs are worth every cent. But... Spend your money on the Missing Sync. Which is the 1st thing I am going to do once they get the patches for Tiger ready

sadie
10th July 2005, 09:02 PM
G'day Alessiman.

Did you ever get compenstion from PocketMac? I'm having similar problems with this program. Most of my calendar appointments are recurring ones and I can't get them to sync between the Mac & my XDA II. I have logged a complaint with their tech dept and received a couple of replies and now, even though the problem is not yet fixed, I seem to be being ignored. I wonder what chance we have of getting our money back!?

Steve

baxter
11th July 2005, 10:10 PM
Missing Sync rocks! I've yet to hear a good thing about PocketMac. PocketMac must be a sloppy piece of programming - the installer for Missing Sync warns about PocketMac files that wont uninstall!

scritch
11th July 2005, 10:32 PM
Keep hassling them for a refund - I got one after about 2 to 3 tries. I am eagerly awaiting Missing Sync for Windows Mobile that is due by the end of the month.

I won't touch PocketMac anything again even if someone paid me.

Regards,
Shane.

sadie
12th July 2005, 08:43 PM
Hey Shane.

How did you contact them? via their Tech Support page or somehow else? I still have not heard back from them....

Steve

scritch
13th July 2005, 01:14 AM
Try emailing laurens@pocketmac.net - she is the one that helped me in the end.

Regards,
Shane.