PDA

View Full Version : Early-2008 MBP RAM Upgrade Questions

scotty134
14th May 2009, 10:40 PM
Hi,

I'm stuck and I need some Mac online Genius help!!

I went down to CPL West Melbourne today and told them I wanted to upgrade the RAM in my MBP (the model before the Unibody, purchased one year ago exactly) from 2 GB to 4 GB.

I had done a bit of reading and from what I found any DDR2 PC2-5300 notebook RAM module would be fine. Like for example the "Corsair 4GB PC5300 Kit" for $85 in the CPL greenguide ad (http://cpl.net.au/greenguide/20090513-web.pdf). The people at the counter said that it probably would not work so I decided to hold off as I wasn't sure.

Does an Intel Mac still need special RAM?
What is the cheapest 4GB kit that works with a 15" MBP early 2008?

Full spec: Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 15.4" (MB133LL/A)
MacBook Pro (Early 2008) - Technical Specifications (http://support.apple.com/kb/SP4)

Corsair's compatibility checker:
Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 15.4" (MB133LL/A) Memory Upgrades - Guaranteed Compatible Memory for your Apple MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo 15.4" (MB133LL/A) from Corsair (http://www.corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=9069277)

Mutters
14th May 2009, 11:07 PM
I bought exactly the same kit from CPL for exactly the same MBP as yours.

Paid a bit more than that 9 months back.

Installed no problems.

Corsair's good shit.

mutters

ethania05
14th May 2009, 11:31 PM
If CPL dont know I wouldnt want to buy from them. I bought myself some Kingston a while back for about $70 at Centrecom. The ones in my area seem to know more about Apple than Apple themselves! funny that!

There is no such thing as "special ram" as much as Apple would like to say there is...:confused:

dekco
15th May 2009, 12:26 AM
anything with ddr2 667mhz will suit fine for your MBP. No compatibility problems with previous gen MBP. as long as you have 2x matched sticks you will be fine

canonafficionado
15th May 2009, 03:27 AM
Thanks for asking this question Scotty, and the replies to this.

For $70-80, it's very tempting to do this to cut down on the ocassional beachball.

dekco
15th May 2009, 11:12 AM
well worth the money!! my machine came with 4gb, and i was lucky, it did. Couldnt imagine anything less.

scotty134
15th May 2009, 08:21 PM
I went in today and they kindly allowed me to install it at the counter (took all of 4 minutes so they bloody well ought to let me). Anyway, I can confirm that it works.

The Corsair part number is VS4GSDSKIT667D2 G $85 from CPL. The OS recognises the 4GB straight up and I currently have Parallels running Vista in the background with no decrease in performance in either OS when I switch between like it normally does. iStat says I'm using about 2.7 GB of RAM so I guess that means it is 100% compatible!

Now what do I do with the old RAM?

dekco
15th May 2009, 08:44 PM
sell it, or keep it. The choice is yours!!

NathR32
15th May 2009, 08:45 PM
I would just keep it just in case the ram fails and you need it in temporarily or something. It isn't worth heaps second hand anyway.

canonafficionado
15th May 2009, 11:32 PM
Great to hear the comments about the upgrade going through fine and the simple process Scotty.

I was also wondering about what to do with the spare 2gb, when i buy the 4gb kit, and looks like a sensible answer (ie keeping it just in case). Thanks all for comments.

Does it really take out all beachballs (ie when Firefox hangs) or is more of benefit for each process just being handled faster?

dekco
16th May 2009, 12:44 AM
many people do recommend keeping the old sticks of ram, just in case it needs to go back to warranty.

yinyang
16th May 2009, 05:00 AM
Does it really take out all beachballs (ie when Firefox hangs) or is more of benefit for each process just being handled faster?

it may not take out all the beachballs, but depending on what processes/apps you have running, it should "ease congestion". If you have VMWare, Aperture and Photoshop running at the same time, lots of RAM is good ;)

takamine
16th May 2009, 11:39 AM
My 2.4GHz Unibody was pretty laggy (few beachballs) before I upgraded my RAM to 4GB when running VMWare Fusion. Now it handles it pretty well. I agree with the previous poster, it eases the congestion and allows you to run more applications in realtime.

canonafficionado
16th May 2009, 10:54 PM
Given the breadth of similar apps that I run, this is exactly the kind of thoughts I wanted to hear.

scotty134
17th May 2009, 09:43 AM
All comments regarding the extra RAM are spot on. I have had massive performance increase in running Parallels and MS Office products simultaneously. It does seem to gobble up the extra RAM though, maybe I should have gone to 6 GB? (I have read reports of this model MBP being able to handle up to 6 GB.)