PDA

View Full Version : External Monitor with MacBook

tcollins
14th May 2009, 09:50 PM
Hi All

Quick Question that is driving me a little crazy.

I have just hooked up a 22 inch LCD to my MacBook Aluminum. All working fine, but I want to have the external LCD as main monitor and have the dock on that monitor- any suggestions?

Thanks

Keving
14th May 2009, 09:59 PM
http://idisk.me.com/kgosschalk/Public/Pictures/Skitch/Color_LCD-20090514-215900.jpg

tcollins
14th May 2009, 10:48 PM
Excellent- thanks for that.

andytlr
14th May 2009, 11:59 PM
Now if you could just turn off spaces on one of the montors.

ZacDavies
15th May 2009, 12:24 AM

ALWAYS wanted that ability..

dche5390
15th May 2009, 07:54 PM
Is it possible to use external display as the ONLY display? That is, mirrored only one the external display.

Keving
15th May 2009, 08:56 PM
Is it possible to use external display as the ONLY display? That is, mirrored only one the external display.

Just turn the brightness on your MacBook to 0

NeoRicen
15th May 2009, 09:27 PM
If you open an app and move the window to the monitor you want it to open on, then open Spaces preferences and set that app to be on 'Every Space' then when you switch spaces that app will stay stationary on that screen. Do this for every app you want to stay on one monitor and you'll have the same effect.

andytlr
16th May 2009, 09:22 AM
If you open an app and move the window to the monitor you want it to open on, then open Spaces preferences and set that app to be on 'Every Space' then when you switch spaces that app will stay stationary on that screen. Do this for every app you want to stay on one monitor and you'll have the same effect.

You're a fucking legend. Thanks.

Brains
16th May 2009, 02:28 PM

Sure.

Make sure the MacBook is connected to your MagSafe and is on mains. Put your MacBook to sleep manually via the Apple menu. Close the lid, connect your monitor and an external USB (or previously paired bluetooth) keyboard and/or mouse. Press a key on the external keyboard to wake the machine. Voila, the external screen is now the primary display. Open the lid (to help keep the machine cool) and the internal screen will remain off.

Mullarkey
22nd May 2009, 02:29 PM
Sure.

Make sure the MacBook is connected to your MagSafe and is on mains. Put your MacBook to sleep manually via the Apple menu. Close the lid, connect your monitor and an external USB (or previously paired bluetooth) keyboard and/or mouse. Press a key on the external keyboard to wake the machine. Voila, the external screen is now the primary display. Open the lid (to help keep the machine cool) and the internal screen will remain off.

I have found that the keyboard on the laptop works when in that mode as well, so you only have to connect a mouse via btooth or usb

da_straz
23rd May 2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the main-screen advice! Really helped me.

Does anyone know any worthwhile dual screen applications?

I found a good one, for anyone who's looking- it's called Deja Menu

With dual screen, the menu bar up the top of applications can only be displayed on one screen. This can get frustrating, having to take the cursor over to the opposite screen each time you need to access the menu. With Deja Menu, you can set a keyboard shortcut, which pops up the menu for whichever application you're using, as a drop-down menu at your cursor. I set Deja Menu to open at startup (via User Accounts > Login items).

DejaMenu 1.2.2 for MacOS X (http://homepage.mac.com/khsu/DejaMenu/DejaMenu.html)