PDA

View Full Version : Backups cannot boot properly

richardcavell
14th May 2009, 08:44 AM
Hi,

I have a startup hard disk that has 10.4.11 installed. I mainly run EyeTV, BOINC and Firefox.

I have copied my entire system disk to an external hard disk. My idea is mainly to use it as a backup, so that if my system hard disk fails, I still have all my files. However, I'd like to be able to boot from it occasionally. (For example, to defragment my system disk).

I copy all the files over and then run Disk Utility->Repair permissions. But a couple of things won't work. When I boot from my external hard disk, I get: System extension cannot be used: The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleLPC.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used." Same thing for "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Plugins/DspFuncLib.kext" and a Bluetooth kernel extension as well. I have no sound when I boot from my external hard disk.

This happens to me every time. What can I do to make it boot?

Aladdin
14th May 2009, 09:01 AM
Did you drag and drop? Coz lots of invisible files don't get copied across this way.

Use a disk cloning app - I use SuperDuper! (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html).

richardcavell
14th May 2009, 10:41 AM
I use disk utility 'restore', actually.

I've also tried using Carbon Copy Cloner. It makes no difference.

The hidden files are copied across (and, in fact, are not hidden on the destination volume).

I strongly suspect it's a permissions problem.

Richard

denwol
16th June 2010, 10:41 PM
Thought I would restart this old thread rather than start a new one.
I am having this problem on a macbook running 10.6.3
I use ccc and had to copy the usb disk onto the hdd to restore. It has restored without sound.
Any help would be great