PDA

View Full Version : Cpu

nagol009
9th June 2005, 05:47 PM
Hello gentle please first post thanks in advance for any advice. I have just installed tiger on 12" PowerBook G4. For some reason my cpu is running nonstop no respite. Any thoughts its just sits there hissing away no other activity as in I have checked disk memory network etc only widgets running calender and clock. The activity monitor is full green bars.

Disko
9th June 2005, 05:56 PM
Which app is using the most CPU time?

Be sure to select 'all processes' from the drop down list at the top of activity monitor. Then list them via the CPU usage, and you'll find your culprit.

macropus
9th June 2005, 06:00 PM
It's almost certainly Spotlight indexing your drives, click on the Spotlight icon-top right & see if its indexing.

Disko
9th June 2005, 08:05 PM
Here's a screenshot to back up my previous post:

fiark
23rd June 2005, 08:44 AM
*deleted*

macmate
23rd June 2005, 09:31 AM
i would be worried that you might have a HD that is on the way out.

its easy to tell if spotlight is indexing by simply clicking on the spotlight icon in the top right hand corner of your screen.

one thing i would do is to go to the energy saver system preference and make sure you UN-TICK the put HD to sleep when possible box. i find this causes many sleeping problems.

Ric

cmetom
23rd June 2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by macropus@Jun 9 2005, 06:00 PM
It's almost certainly Spotlight indexing your drives, click on the Spotlight icon-top right & see if its indexing.
indeed i believe this is the case. it takes a short while, but once it's done everything will be normal again.

spotlight itself, by the way, is fantastic - a tool that once you start using you wonder how you lived without it.

fiark
24th June 2005, 06:22 PM
*deleted*