PDA

View Full Version : Will this HD suit my unibody MBP?

STK
13th May 2009, 05:09 PM
Just wondering, will this hard drive (http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/98955/HDD_MOBILE_SATA/Seagate/ST9500420AS.asp) be suitable for my 15" Unibody MBP?

1. this is the one without shock protection... correct?
2. How would I go about formatting it to mac?
3. How can I easily copy my mac and windows partition onto it?

Comet
13th May 2009, 05:35 PM
Yup, that drive will work. Not too sure about the shock thingy though.

Brains
13th May 2009, 06:18 PM
Considering Seagate's recent track record, I wouldn't be buying one if I were in your shoes. Hitachi make the best (the 7K320 is unkillable), IMHO, with Toshiba in second place and Western Digital right behind them. I'd sooner buy Samsung than Seagate, and I really don't like Samsung :)

No idea about the shock protection you're asking about, go check the full specs on Seagate's site.

Formatting would be a doddle -- use Disk Utility.

Easiest way to transfer your current install over would be to bung your original internal drive into a little FireWire enclosure. Install a fresh OSX onto your new internal, then run Boot Camp Assistant to prep your drive for the Windows crap, then you can use Migration Assistant to pull all your Mac goodness off the external, and use WinClone (an OSX program) to duplicate your old Boot Camp partition over to your new one.

STK
13th May 2009, 06:40 PM
Hmm...Pity none of those 3 brands make 500gb 7200RPM drives... (From what I can see...)