PDA

View Full Version : Dull Macbook Screen

maghemi
13th May 2009, 01:06 PM
I've got an older 13" white macbook (2,1) and while it is operating fine.

The screen is getting quite dull. The colour is fine and after a while the screen brightens, But for the first while it's quite dull and dark.

Do the back lights in these LCD's wear out over time?

I'm contemplating buying a replacement screen (the things is well and truly out of warranty) But I'd hate to waste the money if there could be another cause.

Anyone come across this issue?

Oh, and yeah that's with the brightness setting all the way up

Byrd
13th May 2009, 01:18 PM
The brightness of CCFL backlighting used in any notebook can degrade over time, but usually over several years of use. Some can also take a while to "warm up". Sounds like you've been a bit unlucky with yours, if it's working fine after a few minutes I'd not bother replacing the screen. It's not going to die all of a sudden.

JB

maghemi
13th May 2009, 01:28 PM
Ahhh makes sense.

Might put off replacing it until it becomes more of an issue.

Would using it out in sunlight a lot speed up the degradation? I use it outside it full sunlight quite regularly with my work.

Byrd
13th May 2009, 02:24 PM
Sunlight wouldn't hurt it at all but I imagine sitting it in a hot environment would; heat tends to reduce the lifespan of many computer components.

So I'd fit your Macbook out with a nice legionnaires hat :)

JB

Brains
13th May 2009, 06:10 PM
Being in sunlight would mean you'd have the backlight cranked up high, and the higher you push it the quicker it fades.

Thing is, the dullness -- and impending death of screen -- could be one of two things: you've driven the CCFL hard and it is losing its phosphor, or the inverter board (a separate thin little strip of a PCB that runs along the inner lip of the screen) is starting to degrade and isn't putting out the high voltage the CCFL elements need to fire cleanly.

St Cornelius
19th June 2009, 01:27 AM
white macbook screens are dull.... very poor in comparison to macbook pros, imacs and especially compared to a silver ACD