PDA

View Full Version : re-logging of Clips in FCP

Jimbo
12th May 2009, 05:37 PM
Hey guys....

After completing a short film last year i decided to wipe off the source footage off my mac, still retaining my project files and soundtrack data...

Now, a mate wants to work on it again, i've got the tapes, could someone who knows how to re-capture hdv material give me some advice?

When the hdv capture went in initially, I named each clip Day A, B, C etc, and FCP captured the whole tape in one go, and imports each 'button-on' as a separate clip.

Is it a case of just highlighting the clips and going re-capture, or is it more involved than that...

Thanks for helps...

Lachie
12th May 2009, 11:17 PM
Hmmm, its complicated scenario. Iv had to rebuild projects (after stupidly not backing up) and it is a pain in the arse. But depending on the length of the film, you might be better starting a new project, capturing the footage again, name everything as close to possible, exporting an EDL (edit decision list) from the original project and importing that into the new project to make your cuts automatically. If you named things properly it should do a pretty good job of reconstructing the cuts.

Keep in mind that all the clips need to be identical to the original. If they are a frame longer, all the cuts will be out by a frame etc.

But hey i havnt done this in ages, and FC might have a nifty tool for making this an easy process

cjuiz
12th May 2009, 11:38 PM
You should be able to recapture the footage the way you've described, so long as there are no timecode breaks in the tape.