PDA

View Full Version : Education Base RAM

Buthidae
15th June 2004, 01:37 PM
As I'm sure most of you know, Macs LOVE ram. An extra 256mb, in almost all cases, will see a significant increase in performance.

Apple have quite a hold in many of the education markets, yet many of those kids that learn how to use these great machines are put off them because of their school experiances. Almost everyone I have spoken to that is "anti-mac" has only ever used a mac in a networked school environment, with nowhere near enough ram.

I really think that making standard ram in all iMacs and eMacs 512MB would make such a difference to performance that people will start taking them more seriously as the powerful and useful computers they are. It pains me to think such brilliant machines are going unnoticed because apple is stuffing up their best opportunity to gets Macs into thousands upon thousands of homes.

Do you guys agree/disagree/like green eggs and ham?

Disko
15th June 2004, 01:51 PM
Well, i certainly do enjoy a dash of green eggs and ham, but i also agree - to an extent.

If apple make 512MB standard, then they'll be increasing their prices - what apple computers are seen as more today are "great computers, but too expensive." The price is what needs to come down. If they can do that without affecting build quality, then we're all happy. :)

edit: welcome to the forums btw. It's great to see more australian mac users.

purana
15th June 2004, 02:13 PM
I can assure you most machines bought by schools get extreme upgrades... for example every serial number I look up for a school will tell me it shipped with say 128mb ram, but soon as you talk to someone at the school you realise that the machine shipped to DET with that config and then got shipped from DET to the school with upgrades.

decryption
15th June 2004, 02:46 PM
If they're going to put more RAM on computers for schools, they should put more RAM in their retail products too.
More RAM = higher cost of item. It's a tough trade-off :P

Either way, I like green eggs and ham with Sam I Am.

Quamen
15th June 2004, 02:54 PM
I don't think they should put extra ram in. Not at the insane prices they charge for ram!

X_RuLeZ
16th June 2004, 12:15 AM
The prices for Apple certified RAM (especially though the Apple store, and some retailers) are just insane. That is why I always just go and buy a decent brand of RAM from a good PC store. I have only ever had problems one time with a Powerbook G4, and that problem was simply solved by swapping Kingston brand SO-DIMM for Kingmax, which all stores should let you do.

/Back to the topic...

I hate green eggs and ham, Dr. Suess freaks me out :blink:

On that note; I think they should ship the machines with at least 512MB, they just need to drop the price they charge for RAM. Otherwise just let the users do it; it is cheaper that way.
The problem is that the 'average' computer buyer will get an off the shelf system expecting it to be the best it can be for their needs. If it feels slow they will not know it can simply be fixed with a $90 (256MB PC3200) RAM upgrade. For them, spending > $2500 on something that does not satisfy them is not acceptable, so by just including an extra bit of RAM Apple could save alot of users being dissapointed.

We all know how much OSX loves RAM.

eni
20th June 2004, 09:45 PM
Forget about updating the ram, how about a $2 sanity poster explaining how to sleep or shutdown the macs?

Over the last couple of years (thought work experience and when I was still at school) I've seen two schools - one a primary school and one a high school. The primary school actually had a well kept computer department and a teacher who was knowledgeable. Yet I saw on the occasions the labs were used by other teachers, at the end of each session they would just flip the safety breakers at the door shutting off the power to the lab of 30 macs and relating equipment! No shut down, no sleep, no nothing. Students actively using them, macs churning away and BAM, power cut. Consider that happening multiple times a day for weeks on end, and also consider this not being an isolated incident/school and ram doesn't seem the biggest problem with poor or unreliably performing macs in schools now does it?

Now my high school (when I was still at school) got rid of their mac labs years ago, but I had half a year in the mac lab. The computer teacher there at the end of every period would tell the class to restart the macs...using the force restart key combination (cmd + ctrl + power wasn't it?), again with no warning or prep for the poor macs. High school, possibly 6 to 8 times a day that was happening to the poor things, and then people question why they're acting up???

I feel for macs in schools, I really do.

Lucas
20th June 2004, 09:53 PM
Education Base RAM is a bigger issue than its seems IMO. I think schools should be considered the first MAC store. Millions first experience a mac at school - they need to run well. I know I was put of by my school experience with macs - only OSX and the oghhh so cool design made me switch.

eni
20th June 2004, 09:59 PM
Agree to disagree :P Of course RAM is a major issue, I just personally think RAM has to come secondary to abuse. What good is extra RAM if it's just gonna be fried after the first week?

I think schools should be considered the first MAC store. Millions first experience a mac at school - they need to run well.

Perfectly put, apple should take notice. I'm glad that schools were able to give you a good impression of macs (glad for you! you switched), but if my only impression of apple/mac came from schools there would be no way I'd go anywhere near them. Apple has to realise that PCs are seen everywhere - already in homes, in offices, etc. Schools were(/are...still kind of, nowhere near as large as before) the perfect store as you said, and about the only direct advertising apple's every going to get for their computers.

cmetom
21st June 2004, 12:21 AM
I do so like green macs and ram.

LCGuy
21st June 2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Lucas@Jun 20 2004, 09:53 PM
Education Base RAM is a bigger issue than its seems IMO. I think schools should be considered the first MAC store. Millions first experience a mac at school - they need to run well. I know I was put of by my school experience with macs - only OSX and the oghhh so cool design made me switch.
I agree. The reason i became a Mac user to begin with was that the first computer i actually used was an LCII, and i jsut looooooovved the OS. And since then i've never regretted being a Mac user, either. :D

Jimbo
22nd June 2004, 12:07 AM
i'm not too sure they'd do this, but i have a feeling apple retailers sell the junk to schools at edu prices, we have around 30 macs at our school, all quite the performance machines, but most are fairly unreliable! its gay as hell when you're finishing that final mxdown of you band and..... the spinning colour wheel, that doesn't stop!

Currawong
22nd June 2004, 08:30 AM
Jimbo, I think many schools, trying to save $$$, bought the cheapest possible, and since most retail salespeople are on commission, the big $$$ for a large sale were un-ignorable.

At uni, I had to deal with Classic's, 5200's and 5260's. Mind you, at the time, they were the only all-in-one solutions available. Apple destroyed its own reputation, not helped by salespeople who probably knew nothing about Macs in such an environment.