PDA

View Full Version : IceTV + EYETV + Mac Mini = NOT HAPPY

iPath
11th May 2009, 04:42 PM
So not long bought my mac mini and eyetv. Hooking it up now and have noticed i need to have an IceTV subscription to be able to get any sort of EPG.

So i signed up for the trial to make sure i like it and have entered the account details under the eyetv guide preferences, but still nothing.

When i go into Program guide on EyeTV it shows that
"the program guide has no data to display. Ice tv is currently not used by any channel. You can assign an EPG provider in the channels view by clicking info the EPG column."

When i go into the channels section and then go into the EPG column and attempts to assign the EPG provider for that channel and i select IceTv it opens up another window asking to "Select an EPG channel for ......". I type in IceTV but it boots me out and does nothing..

Does it take a certain amount of time for the IceTV guide to load across or is something a miss??

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mac Ram
11th May 2009, 05:02 PM
Have a look around the icetv site.

For instance, I found this (http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/websupport.cgi?op=show_faq&faq_id=48&faq_cat_id=12) - it might help.

iPath
11th May 2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah tried this but it comes up with "You need to be a paying customer etc"..

Not gunna pay for it especially if its this hard to get going on just a trial..

Mac Ram
11th May 2009, 06:23 PM
It certainly shouldn't be that hard, I've been using it for over 2 years now. I feel it's definately worth the $'s.

Maybe try sending icetv support a quick email? I've found them to be pretty responsive.

MrJesseRoss
11th May 2009, 06:43 PM
Yeah, that doesn't sound normal. I've never had a separate window come up or have to type anything when I select 'IceTV' in the Channels window.

Also, you don't need IceTV for an EPG if you don't want to. You can select 'DVB' and it will load the info that the networks send through.

timothy
11th May 2009, 06:47 PM
Change all the channels to DVB in the EPG column in "Channels"

Hope this helps...

iceTV still give you the data it's just not as beefed up as the paid version. I have been on a trial for a long time and it suits me. I am looking forward to having a paid account one day but the free version works well for the moment.

cjm19
11th May 2009, 07:57 PM
I had similar problems with the latest version of EyeTV not being compatible with IceTV. Icetv Help suggested I go back a version - did that and all EPG data cam through.

MrJesseRoss
11th May 2009, 08:25 PM
I have the latest version of EyeTV, 3.1.1. No problems with IceTV here.

Aladdin
11th May 2009, 09:20 PM
I had similar problems with the latest version of EyeTV not being compatible with IceTV. Icetv Help suggested I go back a version - did that and all EPG data cam through.

That was a problem with eyeTV software 3.0.4

Rolling back to 3.0.3 fixed it. Upgrading to 3.1.1 fixes it too.

cjm19
11th May 2009, 11:08 PM
This was the email from Icetv support- hope it helps iPath:

I suggest you rescan the channels.

To do this go into EyeTv and select the 'program guide' tab, now click on the cog on the top of the EyeTV window and select 'clear EPG data'. Now select the 'channels' tab, select all (Apple+A). Now, under the EPG column select 'none' then 'iceTV'.

Now do a re-scan by going to preferences, and select get latest guide listings.

You should now have the latest guide sent to the machine.

For your information, We are experiencing compatibility issues with version 3.1.1 at the moment. It is suggested you downgrade to V3.1 until this issue is resolved.

here is the URL article on how to downgrade eyeTv
How do I upgrade or downgrade EyeTV 3? (http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3074)

benb
12th May 2009, 12:42 PM
You can also get EPG data from an xmltv file. I built an Applescript to download these files, aggregate them into a single file (as eyeTV can only take a single file for these). I set it up to grab the files once a day and it works quite well, see my sig for a link to the download and instructions on set-up.

timothy
12th May 2009, 08:06 PM
This was the email from Icetv support- hope it helps iPath:

I suggest you rescan the channels.

To do this go into EyeTv and select the 'program guide' tab, now click on the cog on the top of the EyeTV window and select 'clear EPG data'. Now select the 'channels' tab, select all (Apple+A). Now, under the EPG column select 'none' then 'iceTV'.

Now do a re-scan by going to preferences, and select get latest guide listings.

You should now have the latest guide sent to the machine.

For your information, We are experiencing compatibility issues with version 3.1.1 at the moment. It is suggested you downgrade to V3.1 until this issue is resolved.

here is the URL article on how to downgrade eyeTv
How do I upgrade or downgrade EyeTV 3? (http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3074)

This post has answered my thoughts and the OP is correct about the stuff around that can occur with an iceTV account and struggling with it... I was confused as to what was going on.

I have never bothered to check why the paid account is better than the DVB guide I am getting, but after reading through the thread it seems I am getting the boring program descriptions from the networks and not nothing much from iceTV at the moment...

Redman
12th May 2009, 08:21 PM
I am having the same problem with my Mini & EyeTV.
EyeTV will hang scanning channels, and no channels = no EPG.
When I installed, it upgraded to the latest version 3.1.1 (4916) and I am currently downgrading back to 3.1(4515) at the moment (as this is working on my iMac). I will let you know how I go.

Anyway, to downgrade to 3.1(4515) type eyetv://checkforupdates?build=4515 into your browser and you will be presented a "downgrade" confirmation dialog.