PDA

View Full Version : Optus vs Telstra for iPhone

stewy38
11th May 2009, 03:51 PM
Hey Guys,
Just been looking Optus plans for Iphone $49 cap.
Is that a good plan to go on compared Telstra plan of $279 up front on a $30 plan + $29 for 300mb data pack.

Is the Iphone a data hungry phone as I have heard some people say this

Is Optus as mobile phone carrier ok for the Iphone or would it be better to use Telstra even though there costs are higher.

Hope anyone can help

DeanCorp
11th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Telstra has the best reception and data speeds. However, this comes at a price. I am with Optus.

decryption
11th May 2009, 03:55 PM
Telstra cost more, but are better.
Optus cost less, but are worse.

If you can justify the cost of Telsra, go for it - you'll be happier. If not, Optus are, well, very average.

Mecha
11th May 2009, 04:01 PM
The phone can be very data hungry if you consider yourself a heavy user. Things like a lot of YouTube videos will chew through 300mb of data. If you just use a Twitter app and surf the net then your gona be fine.

It also helps if you have a wireless network at home so your not downloading apps from the app store with your 300mb, because as we have left over the last few weeks some apps require a bit of data to download.

stewy38
11th May 2009, 04:23 PM
What about checking for emails & sending emails. Does the Iphone chew up your data pack doing this.

timmytomtam
11th May 2009, 04:36 PM
If you can afford a Telstra plan, go for it!

I've always said that if i could go back in time, I would have gotten my iPhone from telstra or vodafone rather than optus.

Exocet
11th May 2009, 04:45 PM
Few questions you need to ask myself:
Do I require data outside of major metropolitan areas?
What are my phone habits - do I browse a lot on the go, download podcasts or stream?
How much am I willing to spend?
What's more important - value for money or quality of service?

g4cube
11th May 2009, 05:05 PM
Telstras NextG is very good but a ripe off really for what you get and there data allowance is a joke. I went optus and the service blows wish i went voda was on there network a few years ago and never had a problem but now with optus for the next 22 months.

TheKeddi
11th May 2009, 05:06 PM
I am having a shit fight with Optus at the moment! I had service when i joined, 9 months later I get nothing in my house, Optus say its because they have too many users to the tower here, I am in the country,

I got a telstra prepaid card and it's like day and night, it's great and I hate telstra!, they are dearer but I'll be careful with the data outside the house.

If you can , go with telstra, not optus.....

Snow Leopard
11th May 2009, 05:34 PM
I had an iphone with optus and a month later, swithched to telstra, and boy was there a difference.

I would go to telstra just so you know you're getting your money's worth.;)

iCameron
11th May 2009, 06:22 PM
Take the hit and go with Telstra.

Usually you can justify it when you start swearing at your expensive iPhone, because it does work when you need it. Even in some parts of Brisbane my friends (Optus/Vodafone/3) phones don't work.

However, if you are mostly a very heavy user and prefer a cap i think Vodafone have some nice plans. They may still have their $99 unlimited, excellent value.

OR! prepaid card with Telstra on a crappy phone left in the car. and iPhone on another (cheaper) provider, best of both worlds. Especially when your in a remoteish area.

dracomjb
12th May 2009, 09:58 AM
Not sure I would recommend Telstra unless you are buying outright and can get a NextG Cap plan. The iPhone plans are shocking in terms of the amount of voice calls you get. If voice is minimal then get the cheapest iPhone plan and add data, note the data packs can be changed as often as you want, if you start on a higher data pack and find you don't use it then you can drop down to the lower data pack and pay less per month.

macaholic
12th May 2009, 10:19 AM
Didn't a previous Mactalker get banned for (regularly) saying Telstra is good and Optus is not good?

Anyway, I'm about to leave my carrier (Three) for Telstra - simply because their network/coverage is superior.

m.

supermariobothers
12th May 2009, 10:47 AM
I'm on the optus $79 cap and haven't had a problem! Feel much safer with the 700mb data allowance too. The telstra option sounds pretty good but.... Go over your data allowance, and they will bleed you dry. Telstra loves to take your money... :(

wilko
12th May 2009, 11:32 AM
Don't forget the difference in call allowances either, it is a phone after all, the $30 plan on Telstra only gives you $25 of calls, the rates might be lower but I still went over the allowance that's why I switched to the $49 cap with Optus and haven't looked back.

BCains
12th May 2009, 01:47 PM
What about Vodafone?

I've been eyeing the $69 plan ($400 of calls & text) 1GB Data + Free iPhone 3G 8GB
You also can choose a bonus option between Free evening & weekends, Bestmate & 100 free txt

I'll be waiting until the next release of iPhones thou, but that plan sounds great

stewy38
12th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Don't forget the difference in call allowances either, it is a phone after all, the $30 plan on Telstra only gives you $25 of calls, the rates might be lower but I still went over the allowance that's why I switched to the $49 cap with Optus and haven't looked back.

Call allowances is not problem to me as I would be sending more SMS's than making phone calls

tcn33
12th May 2009, 02:40 PM
SMS comes out of the call allowance too. That's most of the reason my Telstra bill is around $125 per iPhone on a $40 phone/$29 data plan.

supermariobothers
12th May 2009, 02:43 PM
tcn33, can you upgrade your plan itself? I've found most providers are happy to let you jump up to the next plan without question,

Would that bring your overall bill down, or are you locked into the one you have?

MotherGoose
12th May 2009, 02:46 PM
SMS comes out of the call allowance too. That's most of the reason my Telstra bill is around $125 per iPhone on a $40 phone/$29 data plan.

Sounds like you should be switching to email where possible. I find it as easy as texting in most cases, ..... and free.

stewy38
12th May 2009, 03:15 PM

Maybe it does, But I have on current phone the rewards option of first 50 SMS's free every month

Beau
12th May 2009, 03:25 PM
Telstra also have a free text offer if you mainly text Telstra folk - 200 free SMS messages to Telstra customers every night after 8PM -7AM.

15c per message to other networks anytime or telstra customers during the day.

supermariobothers
12th May 2009, 03:44 PM
Again, wouldn't so much be the phone functionality i'd worry about if you have a good plan.

You'll get killed on data rates if you don't have regular wifi access.

tcn33
12th May 2009, 04:06 PM
tcn33, can you upgrade your plan itself?
I could, but would most likely get locked into a contract. I'm trying to keep my options open in case anything interesting happens this July :)

Sounds like you should be switching to email where possible. I find it as easy as texting in most cases, ..... and free.
"Free" insofar as it's part of your included data limit, sure. It's a bit tricky with a crappy 300MB limit though.

Exocet
12th May 2009, 04:13 PM
I personally went with 3, as I rarely travel outside of Metro areas. In emergencies I can roam onto NextG at 50c/mb but this is rare. I drove from Robina back to Brisbane and uploaded a soundbyte for the next podcast along the way.

LithgowLights
12th May 2009, 04:17 PM
Didn't a previous Mactalker get banned for (regularly) saying Telstra is good and Optus is not good?

In that case Decryption should ban himself ;)

Seriously, Optus is shit in SOME areas. My Optus reception in town & pretty much everywhere I want to use the phone as a phone or internet access device, has been pretty darn good.

I dont get 3G here at home (Reasonable plain GSM signal though), but I do outside. Having said that my son's Next G phone is lucky to get a signal at all inside, but outside he also gets a good signal. I wonder if the tin-foil hats and tinfoil wrapped around the house affect it at all? :cool:

Overall I'm happy with Optus and cant see a reason to change, as even with no 3G signal, my usage on the phone is still acceptable, even tho it's a little slow.

LithgowLights
12th May 2009, 04:20 PM
"Free" insofar as it's part of your included data limit, sure. It's a bit tricky with a crappy 300MB limit though.

True. I use email to home, but SMS to the wifes phone a lot.

When she gets this iPhone (if I upgrade) then I'll be using email a lot more between the phones. The kids now have their own email addresses on their laptops so they will also be using that to chat with me when I'm away. It's effectively free as I dont go close to my 500MB limit on the current phone plan.

Comet
12th May 2009, 04:26 PM
The other option is to sign up to the $49 cap with optus and see if it suits your needs. If it doesn't, you can get your iPhone unlocked for free and consider using a prepaid service with Telstra.

rmac
12th May 2009, 07:26 PM
anyone know what the 3G coverage and speeds from Optus is like in Adelaide? should I go for Vodafone instead?

dche5390
14th May 2009, 03:04 PM
Telstra prepaid is the best value in my opinion. $40 recharge every 30 days gives you $30 of calls and text, 150 free texts, 150 free national voicecalls, and 100mb data. That to me is the best value of all compared to what Optus/Voda/Three offers because of coverage and economics.

The only downside is you will need an iPhone.

I paid out my Optus contract to go to Telstra prepaid. Could not be happier (and a lot cheaper too!).

melbmac
14th May 2009, 03:07 PM
If you can afford it, Telstra is by far the way to go.

eron
16th May 2009, 07:02 PM
Here's how to maximise your value on Telstra prepaid:
How to find the best telstra plan for an iphone | Macintosh How To (http://macintoshhowto.com/iphone/how-to-find-the-best-telstra-plan-for-an-iphone.html)

eron
16th May 2009, 07:14 PM
Well, I can't believe that a link to a helpful blog got deleted.

Anyway, the idea is that using a Prepaid Telstra plan can amount to some good savings. Coupled with occasional offers from Coles such as:
$30 Sim Starter Kit only $10 (transferable to other Telstra no.)
30% of $100 Recharge Vouchers for Telstra
It's an option I'm considering for the coming iphone. The only thing is I'm on a grandfathered Three plan with great rates.