PDA

View Full Version : Mac Musos Help

amni
9th June 2005, 01:50 PM
Hi all Mac Musos.

Having just recently moved over to Mac after years releasing music on Atari 1040set in early 90s and later Dell Inspiron 8600 2GHZ.....I am trying out my Mac mini base model with 1 GHZ ram..

I have just tried out the Reason 3 demo and am wondering why when I play a track that the sound sometimes drops out.. Is it that the Mini is just underpowered to run Reason 3?

I am using the internal sound card and the 4200rpm HDrive....Any good tips on how to tweak best for audio?

macmate
9th June 2005, 01:56 PM
get a faster HD. either internally or get a firewire HD to speed things up. the faster the computer the better audio and graphics run. Also RAM helps.

Ric

leharicot
9th June 2005, 02:50 PM
on the muso topic, ne1 got any suggestions for a good software for sampling and mixing. i use GB2 to create my own music with midi, etc - but its not that good for sampling off tracks, beatmatching, doing party breaks, etc. (think laying elvis over a looped sample from a 50 cent song and adding a party break)

also, if anyone is into that sort of stuff, would love to get in touch and talk about it, swap material, etc.

edward_h
9th June 2005, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by leharicot@Jun 9 2005, 03:50 PM
on the muso topic, ne1 got any suggestions for a good software for sampling and mixing. i use GB2 to create my own music with midi, etc - but its not that good for sampling off tracks, beatmatching, doing party breaks, etc. (think laying elvis over a looped sample from a 50 cent song and adding a party break)

also, if anyone is into that sort of stuff, would love to get in touch and talk about it, swap material, etc.
Ableton is what you need

marc
9th June 2005, 04:10 PM
Abelton is great, but most of that should be achievable in GB.

amni :: How many tracks are you running? Your Mini should be totally fine for Reason.

amni
9th June 2005, 04:37 PM
12 tracks...my main concern is why the sound drops out , also when i use the scrollbar to go to different effect units , drum machines etc it isnt a smooth scroll...

so really wanting to know if there are any Tiger tweaks that may help these issues?

Garageband running NIN track seems to be fine with same amount of tracks, but I guess these are pre recorded tracks not live soft synths etc

DrewX
9th June 2005, 04:39 PM
If its a demo the sound may drop out periodically until it is licenced - copy protection

Jimbo
26th June 2005, 05:35 PM
tryy removing all that animation crap from reason, man its tiring watching all those cables jiggle every time you connect something up. i mean its neat the first three hundred or so times...