PDA

View Full Version : MBP battery: Is this satisfactory?

norbs
10th May 2009, 12:45 PM
I have a MBP that is coming up to 2 years old. So far it has had the DVD/CD drive replaced under warranty, and the Logic Board replaced due to a known fault with the video card.

The battery has been playing up since last August, and not matter where I turn, I can't get any help. I dont think a battery that has had 15 cycles and now wont charge past 65% is satisfactory. Below is a dump out of system monitor.

Battery Information:

Battery Installed: Yes
First low level warning: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 264
Remaining Capacity (mAh): 171
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12193
Cycle Count: 15

Am I being unreasonable?

Thanks.

saphylia
10th May 2009, 01:11 PM
No, as far as I know the capacity should be twenty times that - is the battery swelling or looking a bit on the large side?

norbs
10th May 2009, 01:15 PM
No, looks perfectly normal.

paronga
10th May 2009, 02:30 PM
i experience the same issue.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-378e-c364
Manufacturer: Sony
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0001
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 0110
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 1374
Fully charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 1410
Health Information:
Cycle count: 38
Condition: Check battery
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 12410

It's balls. The battery doesn't actually work. If i take it off the power, it'll just cut out after 15 mins or so. It won't go to sleep. It's pretty much dead.

Laptop is out of warranty, so i think i'm stuck with it.

This battery was a replacement for a swelling one. It looks physically fine.

Sebastianmonty
10th May 2009, 03:53 PM
Won't it get replaced under warranty? Did they say no?

saphylia
10th May 2009, 04:35 PM
No, looks perfectly normal.

2 year old macbook pro.

http://kttns.org/yza0

I'd say to bring it in any way. Sounds a bit dodgy.

MisterFnord
10th May 2009, 07:37 PM
... So far it has had the DVD/CD drive replaced under warranty, and the Logic Board replaced due to a known fault with the video card.

That's exactly the same fault i have had with my 2 year-old MBP - had logic board and DVD drive replaced (luckily having had Applecare, otherwise i think i would have had to sell a kidney to pay for the repairs!) - anyway, my battery has been behaving exactly the same way, will run 5-10 minutes and then just completely power-down, no sleep mode, just totally rooted. Bah, and of course, battery not covered, so have to fork out to buy a battery so i can actually use the MBP as a mobile laptop!

Physically, battery looks a-ok, no abnormal protrusions or swelling.

Model Information:
Serial Number: Sony-ASMB012-36b2-31
Manufacturer: Sony
Device name: ASMB012
Pack Lot Code: 0003
PCB Lot Code: 0000
Firmware Version: 102a
Hardware Revision: 0500
Cell Revision: 0303
Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 738
Fully charged: Yes
Full charge capacity (mAh): 764
Health Information:
Cycle count: 130
Amperage (mA): -1530
Voltage (mV): 11830

http://www.chataway.net.au/media/coconut-battery.jpg

norbs
11th May 2009, 10:32 AM
2 year old macbook pro.

http://kttns.org/yza0

I'd say to bring it in any way. Sounds a bit dodgy.

When you say bring it in. Where too?

This is out of Coconut.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/1724/batteryo.jpg

alepro
11th May 2009, 03:40 PM
Got a similar issue with mine:

Charge Information:
Charge remaining (mAh): 2297
Fully charged: No
Full charge capacity (mAh): 2681
Health Information:
Cycle count: 60
Amperage (mA): -1185
Voltage (mV): 11873

Have you tried doing a battery calibration on your batteries?

Apple Portables: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490)

MisterFnord
11th May 2009, 07:12 PM
Have you tried doing a battery calibration on your batteries?

Yep, i tried that on mine, and didn't do squat :-(

dekco
11th May 2009, 07:58 PM
Anyone with those problem tried contacting apple to see if it is covered under some warranty?

leon
11th May 2009, 08:19 PM
Norbs from the look of things, you seem to use your laptop entirely as a desktop. My personal experience is that if I do not use the battery at least once/twice a week, then its health drops off signifcantly.
I would say that the lack of performance you are seeing from your battery is what someone would expect from a 2 year old battery with only 15 charge/discharge cycles. To preserve its life, you should have used it more on battery power every now and then.

stixxy
11th May 2009, 09:01 PM
Same problem with my MBP battery. It was however bulging and causing the trackpad not to work properly. Just under 2 years old and despite the AppleCare, told it is not covered under warranty.

desplesda
11th May 2009, 09:07 PM
When I was using my first laptop, I wasn't aware of such things as battery health, and used it unplugged for as long as I could.

Poor thing's almost impossible to charge now :(

dekco
11th May 2009, 09:09 PM
Same problem with my MBP battery. It was however bulging and causing the trackpad not to work properly. Just under 2 years old and despite the AppleCare, told it is not covered under warranty.
dependent on the health, i believe apple may replace it.

stixxy
11th May 2009, 09:43 PM
dependent on the health, i believe apple may replace it.

Nope. Took it to MAC1 and left it with the repair guy who later contacted me to say it wasn't covered.

dekco
12th May 2009, 01:12 AM
have you tried contact apple direct? they could be of more help

norbs
13th May 2009, 03:03 PM
have you tried contact apple direct? they could be of more help

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Apple on Friday. The full story on my blog..
todd norbury’s photography blog (http://bit.ly/Ed6jQ)

I am not a happy camper.

I will take heed of what people have said on here and discharge the battery once a week from now on.

Given this is my 1st Apple product, I am very very reluctant to buy another one now.

DebB
15th May 2009, 07:07 PM
Hear Hear. Must have indeed been a "bad batch" of MBPs that year. Mine has had the same probs. Replacement battery and dead logic board, coming up to 2 years old. Here's my latest saga from a couple of weeks ago:

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/63015-battery-shuts-down-showing-over-hour-left.html

I spent ages on the phone to apple trying to get a replacement. It was so frustrating, the first person I spoke to was great - gave me a case number, told me to do the usual reset power management etc. He told me batteries only have a 90 day warranty, so because this battery is 15 months old it is not covered under warranty. He wanted to check to see if it was covered under a special warranty, and told me to fully charge then run the battery down, and take note of the time it lasted for, then call back.

The next day I called back and spoke to another person. When I asked they said it was not possible to talk to the same person, and I had to go through the whole story again. This person seemed to have no idea what my problem was about and had no knowledge of what the previous technician told me. He said that the battery only had a 1 year warranty and was not covered. (So is it 90 days, or 1 year???) and that there was no special warranty for these dodgy batteries. He wanted me to boot off system disks and do something to determine whether the problem was with my computer or the battery, but in any case it would not be covered by warranty.

I was over it. I have given up and now use the machine as a semi-desktop until I can justify the 200 bucks for another battery. And why fork out only to have the same thing happen again? And again?

No wonder the new machines are boasting all over the shop about long battery life. Apple know they got a bad rap from this older model and have to work at rebuilding their reputation. I want one of the new batteries for my old machine. !!!!!!

Good luck with your problem.
Deb

norbs
25th May 2009, 02:30 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought a new battery. I didn't use the 25% discount on it, I thought I might be able to buy a more expensive item, or sell the 25% to some one who is buying a big ticket item. Maybe even cover the cost of the battery. :)