PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 6230i And Os X

glenmorrow
9th June 2005, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone.
Can someone tell me how you can sync up a Nokia 6230i with OSX, specifically with Mail and Address Book and stuff. I've looked on the Apple web site and it's not listed as an isync supported phone. I've read through the documentation on here and synced up a 6600 without any problems but am curious about how to get this phone working - if you can, with OS X Tiger.

Thanks,
Glen

Soap
9th June 2005, 07:29 PM
i assume the phone is buetooth

go to blutooth ,tab in the device bare at top right of screen, click bluetooth logo, prefs will drop down....find new device should pick up the phone. follow on screen instructions pretty simple stuff

open isync and prefs will allow you to add a device, the isyn will search for the fone.

address book also has a tab to enable blutooth.

be careful with syncing everything as the computer has the ability to override your phone and fill it with addresses and numbers you may not want in the phone.

to start you may need to enable bluetooth in sysyem prefs.

i hope that is a path to somewhere

Mac Aid
9th June 2005, 07:41 PM
The 6230 is not supported by iSync.

There is a utility called phone director, which allows drag and drop for vCards, and vcf files, (as well as other files) via bluetooth.

It works well, and in fact is easier in a lot of ways to manage than iSync, but it's not free.

glenmorrow
10th June 2005, 12:44 PM
Ok thanks, seems phone director is the way to go.

Glen

Moz
10th June 2005, 02:27 PM
I use Phone Director from macmedia.sk, it's a great app. Far better than nokia's pc suite that I attempted to use on my pc but is really just a piece of crap. You can download a trial version of Phone Director with some restrictions but after a little playing you will want to just pay the $30 (us i think) and get the whole app. Definately good for sending wallpapers edited with iPhoto to you phone as I don't think to many websites do 208*208 pixels yet.

glenmorrow
10th June 2005, 03:03 PM
Ok, well have downloaded the demo and will have a look at it.

Moz, there's a great business opportunity for you, set up a site full of weirdo images for the 6230i and charge some obscene amount for people to download them. I am still amazed at how much people pay for ringtones and stuff - midi files that cost more than the original full length song from say the ITMS!! :)

Thanks for everyone's help... Glen

Moz
10th June 2005, 03:10 PM
hahaha yeah. Another good app is Audacity. It allows you to cut up mp3's to make new ones. So in doing this you can cut up a song so that you can play your favorite chorus as your ring tone or cut things out of mp3's for your alarm clock or message tones. It's easy as once you get the hang of it. All my ring tones are chorus's from songs I like. Wish apple was getting into bed with Nokia instead of motorola, Nokia seems more their style to me.

AlexN
11th June 2005, 07:18 PM
Hi there,

I'm new here, so my humble apologies for any etiquette blunders ;).

I have a vested interest in this precise topic, as I am in the process of trying to determine whether to to cough up for a Nokia 6230i, 6230, or 6021 - and hence my sudden appearance in this forum).

Does the non-support by iSync for the 6230 extend to the 6230i? (cf. http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,016-2062,00.html & http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/0,6566,016-2435,00.html)

Thanks for the heads-up on "PhoneDirector" - it had slipped through beneath the radar of my recent MacOSX "downloads" searches, most likely on account of my last search date being before PD's appearance on 3 June.

PD looks like the app that I have been looking for, given that it explicitly supports the 6230i, and raises the prospects for my choosing it.

Regards,
Alex Newman

glenmorrow
11th June 2005, 07:34 PM
I have been using the 6230i with PhoneDirector and it works quite well. I shelled out and regiistered it and my limited use of it so far has been positive.

While iSync doens't sync up your contacts with Address Book or iCal, you can still use bluetooth to send SMSs to people from Address Book if you want. The phone director software seems to be everything you need in one package though and is quite easy to use and has lots of good features. MacMedia do make other software to support other phones, check out their site at www.macmedia.sk/

This assumption could be wrong but it seems to me that iSync just supports Nokia phones that are series 60 - but I could be wrong about that.

Glen

The Architect.mac
11th June 2005, 07:55 PM
AlexN

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

this is the list of supported phones for iSync in Tiger

The Nokia's you like are not supported.

Get yourself a Motorola RAZr V3and you won't ever worry about Nokia's again

Cheers

AlexN
14th June 2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies :).

On checking my wife's Nokia 2600, then the online pdf for the 6230i, I discovered that the 6230i apparently will only store one "alarm" - and I have the humble Motorola C115 tricked up to fire several alarms (at particular times) a day.

Hence, as I need this function, I have had to drop the 6230i...the best alternative so far are the SE K700i/S700i "camphones", but also currently have got tabs on the M V635, M RAZr V3 and Sharp GX30.

Cheers,
Alex.