PDA

View Full Version : New Chips! New Hardware & Designs?

warren21
8th June 2005, 11:33 PM
Now that Apple have confirmed they will be moving to intel next year. I was wondering if they would be bringing out any new hardware designs to coincide with the new processors?

Will they give their curent line of iBooks & Powerbooks a facelift? Or, just simply replace the processors and that's all?

What are your thoughts?

ford.boy
8th June 2005, 11:37 PM
I'd say that the underlying logic/chip layout would reqire a chassis redesign, so I can't see why they wouldn't do it.

senorgreg
9th June 2005, 01:53 AM
I agree, aren't iBooks very overdue for an design change? A new design be a great way to create excitement in the notebooks when they start using intel.

Exocet
9th June 2005, 01:55 AM
Still a year away though, so don't be getting too excited now :)

adamjc
9th June 2005, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Exocet@Jun 9 2005, 01:55 AM
Still a year away though, so don't be getting too excited now :)
They would more than likely have some designs up their sleeves allready and would be in the final devolpment stages.

This would have been on the cards for a long time (Intel Switch).

I wonder if Apple will run a "Why switch to Intel" campaign! Would be funny.

Adam.

MacPC
9th June 2005, 11:37 PM
The images I saw today of the guts of an Intel PowerMac really would suggest a change in design for these machines when release. I would like to see them include facility for more than one optical drive.

I think the iBook is looking stale in terms of its speed at the moment, but I have to say I actually like the existing iBook look, there is something about its white appearance that I really liked.

I shall be an interesting year in the Mac community. Pity we need to wait 12 months to see :(

It will be truly interesting to see benchmarks that are Intel specific rather than PPC emulated.

Bart Smastard
14th June 2005, 12:30 PM
I wonder if Apple will use the new Seagate 2.5" 160Gb hard drive ('http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,1121,2732,00.html') announced last week in their laptops and Mac mini.

Faster CPU's and bigger drives will be very attractive.

gizo
14th June 2005, 12:51 PM
hopefully they'll move the optical drive to the side of the powerboks.

Squozen
14th June 2005, 01:22 PM
They can't do that. There isn't enough space on the sides. They'd need to either drop ports, move them to the front of the case (EWWW) or change the hinge design (again, EWWW). The reason PC laptops can put the drive on the side is that they use a really ugly hinge that has space for ports underneath.

gizo
14th June 2005, 01:35 PM
oooh i hate you, and yr rapid replies.
turd.

marc
14th June 2005, 01:40 PM
I think that there's no doubt at all that we'll see a design change for anything with an Intel CPU in it.

Apple need these computers to look different. I have every faith that they'll look even cooler than the current line, forcing us all to update even if we don't need the extra power ;)

tommelbourne
14th June 2005, 02:02 PM
Come on, have a bit of faith in Apple! They are just as much a leader in radical new designs than they are in making awesome computers.

I think it is obvious that Apple will be changing physical designs when they make such a monumental change in chip architecture!

We have seen changes in designs coinciding with far smaller changes than this, so it is a given that Apple will NOT be resting on its laurels and just sticking with what it already has.

pipsqeek
14th June 2005, 02:59 PM
I was going to attach a crappy PC laptop to this reply.

But something sad happened. I went to google and typed in "Crappiest laptop ever".

I had more iBook's then Wintels. :(

Sad but true. Read my iBook saga. :)

pipsqeek :thumbup:

Bart Smastard
14th June 2005, 03:02 PM
Will they stay with the "the display is the computer" form for the iMac? Such a radical format it would be a shame to move away from it so soon.

Great time to release a 23" or 30" iMac :thumbup:

I'd like to see them change the stand from aluminium to clear polycarbonate, that would really enhance that hovering display look.

Polycarbonate should be strong enough, it's used in the eMac Tilt and Swivel Stand (http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore?productLearnMore=M8784G/A), and that puppy weighs 20kg.

iSlayer
14th June 2005, 03:16 PM
moving to intel wont force apple to redesign anything.
if anything most logic board's will be much smaller.
especially in g5's towers

Quamen
14th June 2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by gringo@Jun 14 2005, 12:51 PM
hopefully they'll move the optical drive to the side of the powerboks.
The optical drive is on the side of my powerbook :D
All the ports are on the left side, optical on the right.

/me hugs 12" powerbook.

bdanielb
14th June 2005, 07:57 PM
Coming from a marketing perspective (B/Com/Marketing Grad), i think it would hurt apple to give the new intel macs a dramatic redesign, some slight change would be better.

Why? They are already making a big change which may confuse some consumers (not all apple owners are apple enthusiasts) and thus a familiar looking product line would reaffirm positive customer attitudes towards the product.

There have been many examples in many industries where the new product was good but a provocative/innovative redesign failed miserably (e.g. clear coke, Falcon Au etc.) Hate to say it, but Americans and Australian have pretty conservative tastes and thats what will ensure only a slight change.

Thats my 2c.

Rayd
14th June 2005, 08:25 PM
cant wait too see another ugly aluminium design look powermac, so that i can gut it and swap it with my too sexy to be Quicksilver :)

ford.boy
14th June 2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by ipod_man@Jun 14 2005, 08:25 PM
cant wait too see another ugly aluminium design look powermac, so that i can gut it and swap it with my too sexy to be Quicksilver :)
The G5 is calssic a Ives brilliant design. Awesome proportions and simplicity to burn.

Taking nothing away from the quicksilvers which are everybit as good looking. B)

Rayd
14th June 2005, 09:00 PM
Quicksilvers are Hip, he will be riding around listening to rap music breaking mailbox's with oversized shirts and pants with a silver gun on his waist

while....

G5 Powermac is Posh, sits on his couch swirling and sniffing wine wondering who broke his mailbox for the 5th time, little does he know that quicksilver is more superior! :P

the moral of the story you ask? the quicksilver is the best :D

someonestolecc
15th June 2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by bdanielb@Jun 14 2005, 07:57 PM
Coming from a marketing perspective (B/Com/Marketing Grad), i think it would hurt apple to give the new intel macs a dramatic redesign, some slight change would be better.

Why? They are already making a big change which may confuse some consumers (not all apple owners are apple enthusiasts) and thus a familiar looking product line would reaffirm positive customer attitudes towards the product.

There have been many examples in many industries where the new product was good but a provocative/innovative redesign failed miserably (e.g. clear coke, Falcon Au etc.) Hate to say it, but Americans and Australian have pretty conservative tastes and thats what will ensure only a slight change.

Thats my 2c.
Good point - and picking up on your point I think familiarity is subjective.

Familiarity might mean redesigning the macs to look more like their pc cousins to suit the familiar, conservative tastes of the wintel laptop crowd.

Then again maybe not - but something to consider none the less :)

Bart Smastard
15th June 2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by someonestolecc@Jun 15 2005, 02:41 PM
Familiarity might mean redesigning the macs to look more like their pc cousins to suit the familiar, conservative tastes of the wintel laptop crowd.

Then again maybe not - but something to consider none the less :)
Fortunately Apple have established themselves as a trend setter so I doubt they'd make their hardware look conservative to suit the wintel/beige crowd... I hope they don't go the opposite direction and produce something that looks like those god-awful gamers PC either.

marc
15th June 2005, 03:42 PM
What you guys aren't taking into consideration is "house-style".

The iMac G5 doesn't look anything like the lampshade G4 iMac. The lampshade G4 iMac doesn't look anything like the original iMac.

The Mac Mini doesn't look like any other Apple product.

The G5 has some similarities to the G4 tower, and the B&W G3 before it, but was quite a big step.

The Ti PowerBooks didn't look anything like the Wallstreet PBs, and the iBooks have also changed significantly.

What's important here is that they all family. You can look at any of them and realise that they come from the same place. I have no doubt that the Intel macs will follow suit. They will look different, because they need to, but it'll just be the same ol' same ol' from Apple: non-stop revolutionary industrial design that looks so good it can only be from one place.