PDA

View Full Version : Apple 20" Versus Dell 2005fpw 20"

cpalmer
8th June 2005, 09:43 PM
Looking at upgrading from my trusty 17" CRT to a 20" LCD. Dell are selling the 2005FPW 20" at $880 at the moment. Is this too good a deal to pass up?

Are the firewire ports and sleeker design of the Apple 20" worth an extra $370?

OziMac
8th June 2005, 09:51 PM
Google is your friend (http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400).

Some great deals on Dell monitors at the moment though - 20% off if you order online apparently. I bought the Apple 20" when they were the same price - when for $200 I'd probably stick with the Apple, but the decision is a very tough one - you'll do pretty well either way. Good luck :)

cmetom
8th June 2005, 11:32 PM
I ordered the Dell yesterday. I can barely afford it, but I have something I'll sell soon to cover the cost.

So yeah.. besides that my desktop doesn't have firewire and I could use some more USB ports, I can't justify the extra $$$ just for the silver bezel.

simonpeng
16th June 2005, 10:07 PM
I just check Dell's website, but the price is $949.

Is there any special promotion code to get $880?

OziMac
16th June 2005, 10:24 PM
I think that was a limited time special - or else cpalmer had a corporate discount to get it down to that price. In any case, it's still a damn good price. :)

eudaemons
16th June 2005, 11:09 PM
The Dell is slightly better than the Apple 20".

First generation Dell sucks donkey, second gen allways better. Current release is 2nd or 3rd gen.

Second is Apple dodgy warrenty. Would you like a 15" Powerbook with your 20" monitor?

And for price, Dell wins, for looks, Apple wins. And for $960 you can get 3x 17" 12ms monitors. Acer branded, same panels as Benq. hmm... 3840x1024 resolution.

Kreats
16th June 2005, 11:31 PM
The dell does have svideo and composite in also - handy if you want to hook up a dvd player or console.

Edge
16th June 2005, 11:35 PM
The price of the Dell doesn't look as good up against its price in the US. It goes for less than US$400 ...

cmetom
17th June 2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by simonpeng@Jun 16 2005, 10:07 PM
I just check Dell's website, but the price is $949.

Is there any special promotion code to get $880?
the 880$ deal expired on the 10th.

mine came this morning. it's very very good.
you folks saying the apple wins for looks.. do you honestly think the dell looks BAD? thin bezel, the dell logo is not that big, it's neat and functional.
yes i think brushed aluminium wins too.. but c'mon, there are some shit-ugly panels out there and the 2005FPW isn't one of them!

Edge
17th June 2005, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by cmetom@Jun 17 2005, 12:33 AM
there are some shit-ugly panels out there and the 2005FPW isn't one of them!
Agreed.

The Apple is also very solid, metal construction. You do pay extra for that. Also the design provides nowhere for dust and bugs to get inside the display.

But the Dell with its extra inputs and lower price will sway the majority.

symean
17th June 2005, 09:29 AM
Personally I'm waiting for the Dell 24" widescreen to come to Oz. I have read very good things about it...more than double to contrast of Apple displays, better brightness, and a full array of inputs. Might be around the $2000 mark but I'll bide my time and wait for some deal to come along :)

iSlayer
17th June 2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by symean@Jun 17 2005, 10:29 AM
Personally I'm waiting for the Dell 24" widescreen to come to Oz. I have read very good things about it...more than double to contrast of Apple displays, better brightness, and a full array of inputs. Might be around the $2000 mark but I'll bide my time and wait for some deal to come along :)
more like $1600........

the_cripple
17th June 2005, 10:31 AM
If only the dell monitor had 1080i. I know that you can get a 24inch dell which has HD but it is a tad big for my desk :P The wait continues.

Quamen
17th June 2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by symean@Jun 17 2005, 09:29 AM
I too am waiting for the 24 inch Dell. It comes into stock just before tax returns :D

shtan72
17th June 2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by islayer@Jun 17 2005, 09:49 AM
more like $1600........
Quite a few people got them for $1280 after a pricing error by Dell...

At the time of the 20% discount.. a people managed to get them for $1400 or so...

A large group buy also occured at whirlpool a month or so ago... leading to the current lack of stock...

But yes I thinkt he current retial was $1700 or so...

mac_man_luke
17th June 2005, 03:47 PM
i saw it for $1550 just before it got taken off

mvjs
17th June 2005, 05:25 PM
Take the Dell, the 360 dollar premium is too much

Edge
18th June 2005, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jun 17 2005, 05:25 PM
Take the Dell, the 360 dollar premium is too much
Seriously, dude, how does this help?

If it was purely a financial consideration, none of us would own Macs and this site would not exist.

Kreats
18th June 2005, 03:22 AM
Edge: terribly snobbish of you there - it's practically the same monitor (with a few more inputs). Basically you are not buying anything more except the Apple branding and styling.

Dell have promo deals all the time, wait around and one will probably come up again. If you can't wait, and the two are fairly close in price, I'd get the Apple monitor. If not, go the dell.

mvjs
18th June 2005, 07:07 AM
Ok, Edge!

Macintosh, is different to moniters

You CAN get different brand moniters, exacally the same

But you can not get different Macintosh.

Edge where is a reson to spend that extra cash for nothing?

There is one for a Macintosh, but not moniters

OziMac
18th June 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Kreats@Jun 18 2005, 03:22 AM
Edge: terribly snobbish of you there - it's practically the same monitor (with a few more inputs). Basically you are not buying anything more except the Apple branding and styling.

Dell have promo deals all the time, wait around and one will probably come up again. If you can't wait, and the two are fairly close in price, I'd get the Apple monitor. If not, go the dell.
Are you for real Kreats?

He made a perfectly valid point - and he didn't say 'If you get the Dell you are a cheap bastard beneath my contempt.'

Whilst the actual panels are the same, the enclosures are totally different, there is a different UI and the availability of Firewire inputs is worth more than just a footnote - both individually and taken together that's a little bit more than an Apple logo stuck on the front, which in any case could be an equally valid reason for buying it, if one were to choose to do so.

Edge
18th June 2005, 11:52 AM
My reply was a little rude, sorry.

But they are different monitors, despite containing the same panel. So the price difference is not for nothing.

My point is, it is a geniune choice, despite the higher cost. For example my brother, a PC user, took one look at the Apple monitor in the flesh and went and bought one, even though I pointed out the comparison beteween it and the Dell and I thought it better for his needs.

Phillip
18th June 2005, 11:52 AM
If I was on budget then I would have taken the Dell. It's cheaper and it has more features (although the Apple Display has firewire).

However, if I was working in design and using a Mac for that, or, if I really wanted a screen to go along with my PowerMac, I would go for the Apple Display simply because it has a perfect ColorSync profile for OS X that looks awesome with print. The Dell being a PC monitor would be a pain in the arse to calibrate correctly - anyone who has own a PC Screen would know what.

Kreats
18th June 2005, 12:01 PM
Ozimac - yes I am for real and I'm curious to find out what valid point you think was made?

So... basically Apple branding and styling. While I wasn't aware of it before, a firewire plug in a monitor really isn't an advantage worth considering for me. The UI is perhaps, but that is neither here nor there as I haven't tried them both out - have you?

Edge was basically saying that money is not a factor worth considering because everyone buys Apple regardless of price here anyway (not like we have a choice).

I disagree. I'm saying that price is a factor for many of us and that it is a sensible reason on which to determine which monitor you purchase - considering we have many choices in the monitor department. To say that it isn't is assuming a lot.

PS: this comparison could be helpful - http://www.anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=2400

mvjs
18th June 2005, 12:08 PM
I'm 100% with you Kreats, besides that Apple styling (and a few other things), and $360 there is no difference

Edge
18th June 2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Kreats@Jun 18 2005, 12:01 PM
Edge was basically saying that money is not a factor worth considering because everyone buys Apple regardless of price here anyway (not like we have a choice).
I said no such thing.

The cost is an important factor, but to state that it is the only difference between the two monitors is plainly wrong. To imply that someone would only choose the Apple monitor because of the logo is ridiculous.

gelfie
18th June 2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Edge@Jun 18 2005, 04:01 PM
To imply that someone would only choose the Apple monitor because of the logo is ridiculous.
I did!

mvjs
18th June 2005, 05:23 PM
A LOT of people WILL purchase an Apple branded product just because it has an Apple sticker, no nececerely in this case with the monitor, but in most other cases.

OziMac
18th June 2005, 08:40 PM
Thanks Kreats - before you get high and might passing judgment on others posting in the forum, take a step back and check whether you actually understand what they're trying to say.

Budget is not the only factor in purchasing decisions - were that the case, we'd all be living within our means, not purchasing $1000-odd computer screens, and the economy would be in the shitter.

The discussion's hit the major points and has veered off. Hope you make a choice you're satisfied with cpalmer.

*CLOSED*