PDA

View Full Version : Auto Connect To Wireless

ppops
8th June 2005, 09:13 PM
How do I get my Powerbook to automatically connect to my wireless network when it is woken up from being asleep???

I can't figure it out....

Thanks.

ppops.

Kildare
8th June 2005, 09:16 PM
My iBook does it by default - even after power off.
Running 10.4.1?

shtan72
8th June 2005, 09:17 PM
I was just about to post the exact same question. At the moment I've gotta click on airport and choose the single network available everytime I open the powerbook from sleep. there must be some way around this.

shtan72
8th June 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm running tiger.

Paxton
8th June 2005, 09:19 PM
My PowerBook has done that since the day I got wireless. I was using Panther then, and it seemed to do it by default. Have a look in System preferences and in internet connect and see if there is anything in there to click for AutoConnect.

-Andrew

ppops
8th June 2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah I'm running 10.4.1

I had a look, couldn't find any options. Dunno......

964RSCS
8th June 2005, 09:26 PM
Mine connects automatically after sleep and startup. At a quick search, the only thing i can find which i think MIGHT do it is...

System preferences > Network > Select Airport, then click on configure btn > Location set to "automatic" > show airport > then under airport section "by default join" > automatic

also might have to add network password to keychain

hope this helps

Edit - sorry, left out a small step, now ammended

Rayd
8th June 2005, 09:53 PM
i also have this problem... how to fix.. i got no idea..

Pej
8th June 2005, 10:14 PM
i cant remember ever doing anything - but mine connects to both work and home automatically - without need for passwords on either.

under the 'by default join' mine says 'preferred networks', and in it i have added in the networks i want it to choose from than just scanning the area for any avaliable.

*edit spelling*

mvjs
9th June 2005, 07:37 AM
Yeah all working here on a Mini :)

hawker
9th June 2005, 07:50 AM
Never had this problem with the two powerbooks in my home. I have had it not find a network when booted a couple of times. fixed this by turning airport off and then on again...

Squozen
9th June 2005, 12:52 PM
Try deleting any wireless network passwords in your Keychain Access app.

jimmy
9th June 2005, 01:03 PM
I had this problem go to system preferences, network and make sure your airport connection is on the top. I don't remember exactly but you either do it by clicking and dragging or pressing configure. Would try but i'm on the UQ wireless and i really should be studying. Hope this helps.

Edit: I think your location will also have to be set to automatic, I think there has been a previous thread about this, I think thats where i got my solution but i'm really not too sure

ppops
9th June 2005, 07:48 PM
OK, I had a real fiddle around with this and tried a few things.

First I disabled WEP encryption hence not needing a password and the damn thing worked. It connected automatically when I restarted and woke it up from sleeping. But this is not a solution I'm willing to live with.....I want encryption on my network.
So obviously it must have something to do with the password and/or keychain manager......I tried everything with that but I couldn't get it to work with a password.

Thanks for the help so far.

ppops.

spargo
10th June 2005, 05:23 AM
Howdy ppops,

Since recently going wireless with my Airport Express and my 15" PB, it has reconnected everytime so I'm not sure what to suggest as far as a Settings solution.. have you checked to see if there is anything in the official Apple website discussion boards? might be worth a look-see in case the issue's been raised there.. if you find out and get it fixed, it'd be great if you could post back with the solution/fix so others in the future can read the thread and find the same answer.. cheers.

Anyways, the reason for my post is that I noticed you are using WEP encryption for your wireless network with your PowerBook? Any reason why you aren't using the much more secure WPA encryption?

Just recently this site listed in its news articles a report on how easy it was to crack the WEP encryption, so it might be worth looking into moving to the WPA encryption system if your hardware is capable.. I imagine that no wireless system is 100% secure, but i feel more comfortable using WPA when i've got no less than 3 other networks around me in my converted terrace house apartment block, and none of them bother with locking down their access..

Have a Google on both methods to learn more.. here's a really basic article but its a start. (http://netsecurity.about.com/od/quicktip1/qt/qtwifiwepwpa.htm)

ppops
10th June 2005, 11:22 AM
My wireless router doesn't support WPA. Doh!

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna check out the Apple discussion boards now!! :)

ppops
10th June 2005, 11:58 AM
Wooohoo!!! I've fixed it! It looks like a lot of ppl were having trouble with this on the Apple Discussion boards......this worked for me but not everyone, so I hope it works for you guys.

I'm not sure why this worked but it did. lol

1. Delete all locations.

2. Add your location again.

3. Make sure it looks like this:

http://img142.echo.cx/img142/2335/vutcdktyjfghv9ck.jpg

Mine didn't before. Instead of "Preferred Networks" it had "A Specific Location".

Weird but it looked different underneath that as well.

Hope this helps anyone with the problem......

gene
10th June 2005, 01:20 PM
yeah someone else was saying that you could delete the airport preferences in

/Library/Preferences

Rayd
10th June 2005, 01:45 PM
doesnt work for me :(

barry
10th June 2005, 03:06 PM
I had this issue with my imac g5 when i had a 802.11b wireless access point. I setup the automatic preferences, but would never connect.
I upgraded my access point to a 802.11g and now the imac connects automatically.

maybe a coincidence, but it's now working ....