PDA

View Full Version : podcast syncing

Optogamut
5th May 2009, 10:40 PM
iTunes only seems to allow one setting for podcasts, i.e. last 3, unwatched...

I'd like different settings for individual podcasts. Is this doable somehow? Or is there a clever way to manage podcasts to achieve the same?

Thanks.

techydude
6th May 2009, 02:26 AM
yep, highlight the podcast(s) you want to customise, click 'Settings....' (at the bottom), untick 'Use default settings', then set what you want it/them to be :)

NeoRicen
6th May 2009, 02:41 AM
yep, highlight the podcast(s) you want to customise, click 'Settings....' (at the bottom), untick 'Use default settings', then set what you want it/them to be :)
That's only for how many you want to keep and download, not sync. While he could choose to only keep the amount he wants for different podcasts that he wants to sync, he may want to keep some on his computer.

The only way I'm aware of is to choose 'Sync only checked songs and video' and untick all your podcasts, then tick the ones you want to sync and uncheck the ones you don't. Depending on how many podcasts you have, this could take a long time.

PS: After just testing this I noticed some interesting behaviour. I have my podcasts to sync the latest three (watched or unwatched) to the iPhone, and to keep the last 5 on my computer. I noticed that when I unticked the latest episode of a podcast (of which I had 5 episodes) and synced, the remaining 4 ticked podcast episodes all synced. So all my podcasts on the phone had the latest 3 episodes, as they should, but this one podcast had the 4 ticked episodes.

So it seems to me than when you untick any episode of a podcast, for that podcast it ignores the iPhone settings and syncs all ticked episodes. It must assume that's what you wanted, since you said to only sync ticked episodes, and have manipulated the ticks and since you left more than 3 ticked, it assumes that means you want more than 3 episodes synced.

So taking advantage of that behaviour could speed things up.

Optogamut
6th May 2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks NeoRicen, I'll have a play.

My goal is for my iPhone to have the lastest 3 of most podcasts, but I've got some educational podcasts that would be handy to have them all.